Thread: Need help with finding issue...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Talking Need help with finding issue...

Hey guys and gals, I need help finding out what is wrong with my windows. I have searched but couldn't find the answer i was looking for, at least for as far as what i searched.

My windows stopped working. I used them the day before and all was fine, then came the next day, I try to put my windows down and both went out at the exact same time. Now i know it can't be a motor issue for both windows stopped working the same time. So my only guess is the fuse, which I cant tell if its popped or not, cuz its a different kind of fuse then those you can see through and the other option is the controls or regulator. What do you guys think is wrong.

Any way to find out whats wring by doing some electrical testing?

Thanx guys, also I want to say sorry i Have not been on here a lot lately, I have a new baby girl and she is a handful, especially that I'm a stay home dad at the moment. I give props to all the mommies of the world, its one heck of a tough and tiring job.

Whats the Point of Living, if You don't go BIG.....
    Turning My VX Into Rally VX

If you or a friend have a multi-meter, you can check the resistance of the fuse. If it is a super high number, then it's probably blown. That is the easiest method to find out, if you can't easily visually see that it's blown.

Both? At the same time? First thing I'd do is check to make sure the lock button isn't pressed (or otherwise shorted). Then I'd come here and ask what's up? So I'm guessing you did the first already.

Good luck,
    -V
    -VI VX VNIVERSVM VIVVS VICI-

Maybe your driver side switch is the culprit? Its possible that the cable is disconnected or not seated properly. Easy to check by popping out the switch/handle assembly. Then look for 12v at the driver and passenger switch.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Check voltage on both sides of the fuse with the ignition on. If both sides read 12v, then its fine. Is check your drivers side switch panel too. Make sure its unlocked and try the passenger side switch, if it works then its your drivers switch, if not, then its electrical.
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Thanx guys. How do I check the fuse with ignition on? I would have to take it out wouldn't I? Well I'll go check it out. Sorry for the late reply and late thanx. I'll get back with ya guys shortly.

So I took off the fuse off and checked both sides with ignition ON and it does not read 12v, what then?

hmmm….now you replaced the driver window button module and that didn't do anything…..
    so something upstream must be causing both

Did you definitely try what Vendetta suggested in post #3? I know I made that mistake and a few others did too….. confirm that.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

The fuse has got to stay in while testing for 12v on both sides.there are two metal parts on the top of the fuse...one on each side..one for each blade of the fuse.check each side for power.if one side has power and one doesnt the fuse is popec

Quote Originally Posted by vxfocus View Post
    The fuse has got to stay in while testing for 12v on both sides.there are two metal parts on the top of the fuse...one on each side..one for each blade of the fuse.check each side for power.if one side has power and one doesnt the fuse is popec
    Or, take the fuse out and check the 2 fuse blades for continuity.

Either way will tell you if the fuse is good or not.

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

If you're still having the problem after this long, there are two fuses that should be checked. CB-15 (15 amp) and CB-27 (20 amp).

If both of those fuses are good, take a look at your power window relay (behind left kick panel on drivers side - it's the relay on the very bottom). Maybe it needs to be reseated? There are a couple of other relays above the power window relay, and if they're the same part number, you could also try swapping their positions to see if a different relay might get your windows working again.

If it's none of those things, well, we'll just try something else...

Smile

,Electrical stuff is so confusing. Hmmmm, ok I'll go try all these new things. Thanks a lot guys & gal. I'll let ya know if I find the issue or if it gets solved. Be back in a few.

The VX shop manual is amazing!