Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Drivers Side CV/Axle Assembly

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Gear Drivers Side CV/Axle Assembly

I have been trying to find a replacement drivers side axle assembly (reman or new) but have only been able to find the passengers side. Can anyone tell me where I can find one?

I have the same issue was gonna post this exact same post today. My driver side axle inner and outer need replaced really bad and the only person I can find that can get them is Isuzu in which they are $900.00 which I do not have. I'm also hoping someone can tell us how or where to find a replacement for the driver side CV Inner and outer all together.

I have currently been looking up front axle assembly in scrap yards because the parts would be all there it would just be a process of applying them to my diff or just swapping out the whole axle assy.

I contact A-Cardone, they do remans through Rockauto and they told me that the following retailers will ship your original to them to reman the part and it takes 5 to 7 days to get it back to you. Here they are: NAPA, CARQUEST or O’REILLY’S. The rep told me they will quote you the price at the store, worth looking into unless someone can get us info for part that is way less expensive that buying it from Isuzu. I'm thinking shouldn't be more than 80-90 bucks to reman.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    You guys are on the right track. I just posted this to another thread last week.

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    You don't want EMPI 80-1039, it will fit the passenger side but the inner cup is changed to a tripod CV vs. the OEM rzeppa style.

I had the "clever" idea to change out both inner CVs with EMPI tripod CV, thinking it would be stronger and available aftermarket. I found that they bind whenever the front suspension drops, causing noise & clunking. I ended up finding replacement inner cvs at the junkyard and switching back to OEM.

If the inner CV cup is worn & ruined, the only options are using a new/used OEM inner shaft or getting one rebuilt.

If you need to source either inner CV from a junkyard, they're called a "jack shaft" and as Mark said, the drivers side is longer. Any later year Trooper without SOTF with work. SOTF is a 4x4 engage system and eliminates the long drivers side jack shaft. You can easily see the SOTF on the axle.

Good luck.

Do you have any insight on the diff drop kit and where to fid one, this would greatly help my CV's from wearing since I have the 3" lift.
    You guys are on the right track. I just posted this to another thread last week.

Quote Originally Posted by UWVX89 View Post
    Do you have any insight on the diff drop kit and where to fid one, this would greatly help my CV's from wearing since I have the 3" lift.
    If you are replacing CV's and have a 3" lift, this is the perfect time to do the Diff Drop and new Crossmember, otherwise your probably going to wear out the new CV's in a few months (or at least the boots). I have a few sets ready to ship on Monday if interested.

Joe D

VXorado...
    Yeah that's the same thing I was getting out of the whole deal. My inner is gone and it is easier to find a whole axle assy then replacing just the inner cv. So I'm gonna buy a whole Assy and just sell the rest, possibly send my inner cv driver side away to see if it can be rebuilt and then find someone who needs it.

Joe Darlington maybe? possibly Indy4x? or even a local shop.

I made my own 2" diff drop brackets a couple years ago because i couldn't find anyone making them. I know all about CVs because I destroyed both sides with too much lift. It's definitely a good idea to look into if you're going to have the front end dropped anyways.

Joe Darlington maybe? possibly Indy4x? or even a local shop.

I made my own 2" diff drop brackets a couple years ago because i couldn't find anyone making them. I know all about CVs because I destroyed both sides with too much lift. It's definitely a good idea to look into if you're going to have the front end dropped anyways.
    Nobody sells them retail. Joe can set you up but IIRC he's not on the forum all that much so send him an email instead of just a PM. If need be, I can still get them done but I'd rather let Joe do it.

I was able to get a complete axle set from a boneyard in OK several years ago that a local shop used to canabalize parts from to rebuild mine. Unfortunately, after my accident, the shop used all of the remaining pieces to rebuild them again so I don't have anything left to help Y'all out.

We were trying to get an aftermarket shop to build us a bulletproof set but it never panned out ... & they were going to be $900 per side anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

@VXorado- Great information. According to A-Cardone, they recommend keeping the original inner housing in place and just replacing the axle assembly, this way you don't have to tear the t-case apart to remove the housing, they also state that it saves about 2.5hrs reusing the inner housing. I found another shop online that claims he has both left and right side assemblies already refurbed for 90/ea. I shot the shop an email to see if the site is correct about having both sides, I will post here once I get a response.

90 seems a little cheap to replace both sides from what I have researched.

That is 90 for each side.

They say just to replace the half shaft and I agree, it's much easier to install than entire assembly. If the inner boot it ripped and you've developed vibration/clicking, there's a good chance the inner CV "cup" is worn and replacing just the half shaft won't help. If the outer boot is ripped (close to wheel), replacing just the half shaft will probably fix the problem. In that case, search Google for EMPI 80-3619. They're decent aftermarket half shafts and cost around $60 (per side).

EMPI Halfshaft

OEM Half shaft + Jack shaft

They say just to replace the half shaft and I agree, it's much easier to install than entire assembly. If the inner boot it ripped and you've developed vibration/clicking, there's a good chance the inner CV "cup" is worn and replacing just the half shaft won't help. If the outer boot is ripped (close to wheel), replacing just the half shaft will probably fix the problem. In that case, search Google for EMPI 80-3619. They're decent aftermarket half shafts and cost around $60 (per side).

EMPI Halfshaft

OEM Half shaft + Jack shaft
    what's that blue stuff?