Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Drivers Side CV/Axle Assembly

gotcha

If anyone would be willing to search local junk yards for a Fromt axle Assembly, that would be great. After traveling to the two I found near Madison, WI I have found both assemblies stripped of needed parts (Drivers side inner cv/jack shaft) and therefore unuseful. I want to purchase one an have it shipped to me but only if someone can guarantee the parts needed are there. Yards won't send me pictures so I am struggling to know what is on each one I find.

Please help!

@UWVX89- I have a lead with a parts shop here in the twin cities and they may be able to order me a reman with both inner and outer joints. As soon as I hear back from them I will post here with cost and contact information if they come through.

Sounds good man, Let me know cause I been looking around and can't find anything.

I just bought a driver's side axle assembly from my local Advance Auto in VA for about $70.

In VA, Advance Auto has the driver's side axle

I just bought one for $70 and am in the process of replacing it. It looks just like the one I took out of my VX yesterday. I had to call the Advance Auto store and the manager found it for me in their database. Unfortunately, the oil seal behind the big bracket was destroyed in the process so I hope they have one of those as well.

I have a question for anyone who has done this replacement - If I can get a new seal, will it all go back in the way it came out or is there special wisdom to reinstalling this beast? Also, I plan to replace the inner and outer wheel bearings. Do I need the special tool that the shop manual shows or can I use normal tools? Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by UWVX89 View Post
    Do you have any insight on the diff drop kit and where to fid one, this would greatly help my CV's from wearing since I have the 3" lift.
    If you are replacing CV's and have a 3" lift, this is the perfect time to do the Diff Drop and new Crossmember, otherwise your probably going to wear out the new CV's in a few months (or at least the boots). I have a few sets ready to ship on Monday if interested.

Joe D

Quote Originally Posted by Mel94dB View Post
    I just bought a driver's side axle assembly from my local Advance Auto in VA for about $70.
    I usually get "Fenco" reman shafts from Advance Auto, have had pretty good luck with them.
    Owner Darlington Offroad Racing and Manufacturing

I just bought one for $70 and am in the process of replacing it. It looks just like the one I took out of my VX yesterday. I had to call the Advance Auto store and the manager found it for me in their database. Unfortunately, the oil seal behind the big bracket was destroyed in the process so I hope they have one of those as well.

I have a question for anyone who has done this replacement - If I can get a new seal, will it all go back in the way it came out or is there special wisdom to reinstalling this beast? Also, I plan to replace the inner and outer wheel bearings. Do I need the special tool that the shop manual shows or can I use normal tools? Thanks!!
    after you have the axle bracket out, the only thing special you need is a pair of snap-ring plyers and 2 large screwdivers to pop the bearing off the axle shaft. The axle bearing and oil/grease seal are held in by snap rings.

The problem for me is I need the inner CV parts which go into the Diff. The outer shaft is fine my problems are from the inner CV and housing which the longer driver side (Jack shaft) is damaged.

Once I can locate a front axle assembly with operating parts and can get everything I need I am going to contact Darlington for the diff drop and have it all installed at the same time.

While you are replacing / repacking the wheel bearings, don't forget to do the needle roller bearing inside the hub.

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Darlington View Post
    after you have the axle bracket out, the only thing special you need is a pair of snap-ring plyers and 2 large screwdivers to pop the bearing off the axle shaft. The axle bearing and oil/grease seal are held in by snap rings.
    All true. I also used a short length of heavy PVC pipe to use as a slide hammer to gently persuade the bearings back onto the axle.

All of the info and pix you'll need are located here:

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...warticle&id=49
    Last edited by tom4bren : 11/26/2012 at 06:57 AM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.