Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tod Problems !! Help

I dont know if i have problems or not. When i start the vx, nothing for TOD light up and never lights up when it 4lo. Nothing lights up as i drive. SO im guessing mine work. I put it into a small ditch and pulled the front wheel off the ground and it just spun that (the front drivers) and the rear passenger side wheels. Thats not how that is supposed to work is it???

Quote Originally Posted by givegodachance View Post
    I dont know if i have problems or not. When i start the vx, nothing for TOD light up and never lights up when it 4lo. Nothing lights up as i drive. SO im guessing mine work. I put it into a small ditch and pulled the front wheel off the ground and it just spun that (the front drivers) and the rear passenger side wheels. Thats not how that is supposed to work is it???
    That sounds like your TOD computer is disconnected (or dead).
    Remove your passenger seat and check.
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

@ givegodachance !

If your VX is in TOD position rear wheel always lights up,as you drive the front wheels would light up 15%
    When the TOD is IN 4LO all lights will turn on because the tranfer case is in LOCK position,so all whell are.

But what i believe is happening to you is that you aren't locking the tranfer case completely and wouldn't light the TOD at all if that is the case.

And remember,ALWAYS change the TOD with the gearbox in "N" position
    Dakar was just the begining.

Update from the OP?

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    The low tech solution would be to put a piece of duct tape around the drive shaft making a flag. When you drive, if the front drive shaft is spinning, the loud whirring sound lets you know. If you make the flag long enough to slap the floorboard, then you'll REALLY know.

Actually I'm just kidding. I don't know how much weight it takes to throw a drive shaft out of balance ... & I don't want to find out with MY VX.
    Or the old trick for the mates wedding car - tie an elastic band around the shaft with a steel washer at the end of it.
    Faster he goes, the more noise it makes.

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    The low tech solution would be to put a piece of duct tape around the drive shaft making a flag. When you drive, if the front drive shaft is spinning, the loud whirring sound lets you know. If you make the flag long enough to slap the floorboard, then you'll REALLY know.

Actually I'm just kidding. I don't know how much weight it takes to throw a drive shaft out of balance ... & I don't want to find out with MY VX.
    When I worked for a mechanical contractor, the techs put zip ties around drive shafts as a prank.

Quote Originally Posted by Gussie2000 View Post
    @ givegodachance !

If your VX is in TOD position rear wheel always lights up,as you drive the front wheels would light up 15%
    When the TOD is IN 4LO all lights will turn on because the tranfer case is in LOCK position,so all whell are.

But what i believe is happening to you is that you aren't locking the tranfer case completely and wouldn't light the TOD at all if that is the case.

And remember,ALWAYS change the TOD with the gearbox in "N" position
    Isnt there only two positions for the TOD? N(which is all wheel drive) and 4LO. Isnt that it?Is there something im missing?

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    I believe it's "4L" and "HIGH"...It's always "all wheel drive", how much is determined by the TOD.
    Vixer Fixer

Quote Originally Posted by givegodachance View Post
    Isnt there only two positions for the TOD? N(which is all wheel drive) and 4LO. Isnt that it?Is there something im missing?
    US version...yes
    JDM...no
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

.....my 5 cents.... about JDM
    May be take a look in rodeo or troopers manuals for 2wd-4Hauto-4Lo schematics. trooper (2001) utilizes vac control solenoids to move lock ring in front axle to connect/disengage driver side front shaft. on one of the troopers I have in the shop the TOD check light was flashing till I fix one of the vac control solenoids.(was not going to 4wd mode).

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitrikr View Post
    .....my 5 cents.... about JDM
    May be take a look in rodeo or troopers manuals for 2wd-4Hauto-4Lo schematics. trooper (2001) utilizes vac control solenoids to move lock ring in front axle to connect/disengage driver side front shaft. on one of the troopers I have in the shop the TOD check light was flashing till I fix one of the vac control solenoids.(was not going to 4wd mode).
    I saw the same problem being experienced with a Jeep something or other (don't remember what model it was) years ago, but in that case, some of the actual rubber/plastic vacuum lines had been damaged.

Wonder if the OP already took it to the scrap yard?