Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally! Replacement Roof Rack FLAPS and Spare tire cover KNOBS- COLORS available!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    do the knobs happen to come with the pieces that they screw into?

Quote Originally Posted by evillecutter View Post
    no, I would have mentioned it and shown pictures, but I know you can buy that female part through Merlin.

And I had some last month for sale here, but they're sold:
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...73&postcount=1
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    no, I would have mentioned it and shown pictures, but I know you can buy that female part through Merlin.

And I had some last month for sale here, but they're sold:
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...73&postcount=1
    i just need one of those little squares not the entire brackets so i prob wont order from merlin but thanks - the knobs look great btw i might order some after the holidays if you still have them

i just need one of those little squares not the entire brackets so i prob wont order from merlin but thanks - the knobs look great btw i might order some after the holidays if you still have them
    I only had a pic of the entire bracket, but Isuzu sells just the female square part you're talking about. It was around $8-$10.

When you want some knobs, just PM Jason and he'll make them.

Hey Evil-

A set of 3 of the "female" knob recepticals you wanted just came up on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123

Jason did an awesome job on my knobs!
    I think the colored knobs looks great!

Hey Evil-

A set of 3 of the "female" knob recepticals you wanted just came up on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123
    thanks kat!!!

I will take some. I will P.M. shortly. I am missing two of mine and haven't been able to find them.

+1 for rail covers

I don't need these cool items at the moment, but fantastic job guys!

Jason, I have mucho experience with injection molded plastic part design (batteries and medical devices) if you want to chat about how to handle the thin walls of the rail covers. There are tricks and cheats...

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by twalker920 View Post
    +1 for rail covers

Jason, I have mucho experience with injection molded plastic part design (batteries and medical devices) if you want to chat about how to handle the thin walls of the rail covers. There are tricks and cheats...

-Tom
    Tom- not sure if you're referring to RAIL CAPS/COVERS or FLAPS.
    Jason has mentioned he'll try to replicate the rail caps in the future, but hasn't yet. Think towers are next up for him.

JUST SO EVERYBODY IS USING SAME LANGUAGE:

FLAPS:

RAIL CAPS/COVERS:

TOWERS:

Last edited by VX KAT : 01/05/2013 at 08:54 AM

Tom- not sure if you're referring to RAIL CAPS/COVERS or FLAPS.
    Jason has mentioned he'll try to replicate the rail caps in the future, but hasn't yet. Think towers are next up for him.
    Yep you got it. I want the rail cap/covers. I can see from the inside views you posted that the original parts are injection molded with slides (slides = $$$ in mold tools), but they could be built with 3D printing and/or stereo lithography then cast for the small quantities our VX family needs (ie < 10,000). Mine are currently nekkid (I have no crossbars on my rails, nor do I need any currently).

Also: cute teddy bear

Edit: I would think also that color coordinated rail covers would be cool too. I would put silver ones on my Astral!

+1 for rail covers

-Tom
    I may have to start that conversation with ya soon! Right at the moment im limited to casting equipment that can sit on my kitchen countertop without my wife getting too mad at me. Just some rtv molds and casting resin... Injection molding may be a while down the road. But any tricks or cheats are certainly welcome to keep the bad casts to a minimum!

Rapid prototyping companies (I am good friends with the manager at a local one) can do basically what you're doing without annoying your wife

They can take a 3D design, create the part with stereolithography and other methods, then make RTV molds for short-run production (i.e. VX owner quantities).

I have Solidworks 3D software, and the rail covers, compared to tiny medical devices I have designed, are like tanks. The rapid prototype shops have so many cool materials now that there is bound to be one that will remain strong in thin cross section, won't fade in UV, plus the rail caps aren't load bearing since they have to be removed to put the roof rack on. There would be no need for injection molding, which is good since I doubt anyone here would be in to paying some of the $10-15k for the tool to be made.

Total cost for a part like the rail cap and then runs of 100 or so might be <$2000 with a per part casting cost of $10-20 off the top of my head. Really the only trick is to get the design in to Solidworks or some other CAD program accurately.

Rapid prototyping companies (I am good friends with the manager at a local one) can do basically what you're doing without annoying your wife

They can take a 3D design, create the part with stereolithography and other methods, then make RTV molds for short-run production (i.e. VX owner quantities).

I have Solidworks 3D software, and the rail covers, compared to tiny medical devices I have designed, are like tanks. The rapid prototype shops have so many cool materials now that there is bound to be one that will remain strong in thin cross section, won't fade in UV, plus the rail caps aren't load bearing since they have to be removed to put the roof rack on. There would be no need for injection molding, which is good since I doubt anyone here would be in to paying some of the $10-15k for the tool to be made.

Total cost for a part like the rail cap and then runs of 100 or so might be <$2000 with a per part casting cost of $10-20 off the top of my head. Really the only trick is to get the design in to Solidworks or some other CAD program accurately.
    Im saving up some money for a makerbot replicator desktop 3d printer. Im familiar with sketchup, autocad, and meshmixer which is an advanced sketchup... with some practice and experience im hoping to get some good use and fun out of it. But first thing is getting $1800 for the printer... for now im getting pretty good at duplicating existing parts. so far the demand for them isnt anywhere the 100's or 1000's so my kitchen based replicating factory with my spare time is meeting demand so far... its a whole other catagory recreating parts in the computer and having a CNC or 3D printer do the work for you! Certainly a catagory that im interested in!

The rapid prototype guys I work with (http://www.spectrumplasticsgroup.com...ithography-sla) will do castings from 1-10, 100, 1000, or anything in between using RTV molds of SLA parts and lots of choices of casting resin.

They have other options for part counts above 1000. But we don't need that. I have a great relationship with these guys, so if you have any questions, just let me know.