Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: bumpers and rails

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    This is BBVX (Brian Burr)...looks very similar to Grampa Bob's (Green Dragon) , wonder if they worked together on it?
    BB was in Boston, Grampa Bob Nevada. In his sig line GB he says: Custom Boulder Bars- Custom Skid plates

this is exactly what i want for the front, thats perfect thanks. I will try to find them

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    Grandpa bob... I always heard he wheeled the crap outta his Vx.

Old guys/gals chime in on his bumper?
    GB wheeled his VX very hard. He was awesome to wheel with. He mentored me well my first year in Moab...taught me a lot. To my knowledge he is still the only VX to do the 'con. His VX paid the price though...nearly every piece of cladding had been ripped off of it (he had big bolts holding it together afterwards). He said it took 2 days to cover 12 miles and afterwards his body felt like he had been beat on by a football team the whole time.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

As far as GB's bumper...it was custom fabbed. BBVX also fabbed his...I believe he replicated GB's with the addition of the winch.
    Personally I think designing a bumper that incudes cutting the cladding is better as it will gain you more clearance up front and a better approach angle.

kat did you have to drill any holes to put the super sliders on?

Quote Originally Posted by evillecutter View Post
    kat did you have to drill any holes to put the super sliders on?
    I can't recall for sure, but I'm almost positive it did , check the pics in post #4.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

im not worried about drilling but it looks like they are threaded holes do you remember if you had to thread them?

sliders supposed to come in today - any tips for install from anyone who has put them on before?

Quote Originally Posted by evillecutter View Post
    sliders supposed to come in today - any tips for install from anyone who has put them on before?
    If the hardware to mount them is the same, you will have to drill holes into your frame and into the body seam (i think thats what its called). the bolts that came with mine (that secure it to the frame) were self threading and are probably what your going to get and the bolts for the body seam are just regular bolt-washer/lock washer-nut assemblies.
    I suggest lifting the sliders into place and securing them somehow to the vx as to be able to mark the holes for drilling. Then take them off and make sure you can positively see the marks and then lift the sliders back up and secure them. Then the fun part... I drilled the holes on the body seam first cause that can move a little back to allow the frame mounts to snug up tight. Then once you have bolted it to the body seam then drill the holes on the side of the frame first, loosen up the bolts on the body seam just a turn or two and then thread the frame bolts in (be careful not to over tighten because they will strip out the metal on the frame and youd be SOL) these will be a little hard to start but once started they get easy. once those are tight (but not HEMAN tight) drill the hole on the bottom of the frame mount (only one per side) and thread the bolt and tighten, then tighten up the seam bolts and make sure all bolts and nuts all around are tight.
    If you have any further questions let me know through PM and I can help out as best I can.
    Make it yours, but make it classy........ unless theres zombies.........thats when the gun rack goes in.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Darlington View Post
    be patient grasshopper, I am working on some low profile rock sliders that will provide protection and look like they belong on a VX as well as a brush guard/pushbar. The Winch Bumper is also in the works, just have to get caught up on so other things first...
    Any news on this?

Goodluck with the install evil.

Matt

If you don't plan on removing them....weld.

hiiii

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    If you don't plan on removing them....weld.
    There was somewhere I read that I don't remember exactly, but bolts can be better than welds as the bolts that are included with the rock rails are super strong. Welds can crack because of their rigidity and the bolts will allow partial flexibility, keeping from breaking easily. Plus, you don't need to worry about having to cut them if you or anybody else wants to remove the rockers in the near or far future.

I also seem to remember hearing that we weren't supposed to weld to our frames. Can't remember why (maybe the heat compromised the integrity of the metal), and maybe it's an old wives tale, but there are quite a few who have welded the rails on with no problems.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    I have....

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    I also seem to remember hearing that we weren't supposed to weld to our frames. Can't remember why (maybe the heat compromised the integrity of the metal), and maybe it's an old wives tale, but there are quite a few who have welded the rails on with no problems.
    Both my rock rails/sliders and the mounting brackets for my Rock Bumper
    are welded to the frame.

It was done with appropriate caution..so as not to warp/blast through!

No adverse issues to report!

Jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

only 2 of the 20 bolts included with my super sliders lined up (and even then they did not have the correct threading or size as the holes) and the rest would have to be drilled - i just welded them