Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: JEEP Grand Cherokee SRT8....

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Hmm, not sure why, but I feel very compelled to input what I know about this thread...

the SRT8-
    Good,
    -fast as sh*ttake (Yes i've driven a few, while installing aftermarket parts, including a supercharged one)
    -lots of aftermarket support
    -V8
    -Nice aestetics
    -Jeeps are very easy to upgrade and work on
    -I completely understand how you are enamored by it, because I have found myself in the same boat, until I step back and look at it as a vehicle to drive on the daily.

Bad,
    -Its a jeep
    -V8 is going to get terrible Mileage
    -We all know how 'great' AWD vehicles are for towing (thats sarcasm). Most non-selectable AWD systems aren't rating for towing, my guess the reason those ones have been modded to have those baby hitches are for snowboard racks, cargo carriers, etc.
    -one of the biggest things for me when considering vehicles is reliability, and I know you are a rational person Sue. I can tell you this much, my best friend works for a company that provides aftermarket warranties and extended warranties to dealerships. For example, if you went and bought a 2013 SRT8, and you decided that the chrysler 60k/6yr warranty wasnt enough for you, so you spend the additional $4000 for the extended warranty to 100k/10yr, that warranty is being provided by the company my best friend works for.
    I hope I can word this correctly. When he sells the warranties to the dealerships on these vehicles, they do very intense statistical analysis to know exactly how long a vehicle is going to last before it costs his company money (funny how they always run out of warranty before it breaks )
    I can tell you this, diamler/chrysler is the VERY LOWEST guaranteed vehicle he can insure.
    Toyota, lexus, honda, acura; are rated a 1 in reliability (the most reliable)
    chevy and ford come in somewhere around 5, and diamler/chrysler comes in at a 10, for least reliable new vehicle you can buy.

I hope that all makes sense.
    Now, with that said, I understand the lust, because I think they are a beautiful vehicle, and a GREAT idea to have a really sporty SUV. I just cant wait for other manufacturers to follow lead

Now, my suggestion for you?? look into the MDX turbo SH

now thats a pretty sweet little SUV. SH stands for super handling (its been a factory upgrade from honda since the first prelude was produced)
    It generally comes with more sophisticated suspension and a more powerful motor (hence the turbo)

or, if you need a bigger vehicle, look for a supercharged FX-35. You can pick one of those up for a very reasonable price, and they have plenty of power.
    I dont know how much you know, but the FX35 has the same motor as the 350Z (or infiniti G35), so aftermarket support is HUGE and cheaper to repair than the FX45 or the SRT8.

Well, I think thats all of it
    Why have I looked into these three cars so much? Whitney wants to trade in her car eventually for a sporty SUV and she just happens to like the FX35, SRT8, and the MDX. (i like to read into vehicles before I commit to it, as I expect them to last me 250-300k miles)
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    Hmm, not sure why, but I feel very compelled to input what I know about this thread...
    Hmmmmmm - me finks Jack is getting a little bit excited 'cause he sees a Foxfire in his future.

Go Jack!!!!!

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

Wow, thanks Jack! I'm a statistics geek so knowing that DC was at the bottom of the actuarial stats absolutely sealed the deal for me. Reliability is #1 with me also… (well, can't explain my VX addiction then )

I'm well acquainted with the aftermarket extended warranty….OMG, worst experience…I spent $4,000 for a very comprehensive one on the BMW X5….first thing that broke, they cancelled the contract! ! Was really REALLY ugly…ended up getting most of my money back..sheesh that was aggravating.

I was about 90% there yesterday to pass on the SRT, and wanted to look into the MDX.
    Spent a few hours looking into it, features, colors, etc… Decided to take a run down to Phoenix today to go see them in person…saw and drove a few.
    I LOVED the interior, quality of materials, layout, LOVED the doo-dads, and most of all LOVED the fact I could GET IN it very easily.! (YAH! )

BUT…I did NOT know there was a TURBO…tell me more…..
    I swear I never once saw any reference to a turbo!
    The ones I'm interested in have the SH-AWD, 3.7L, 300HP, 5000lb towing. ()
    They also have a HD tranny cooler, but NO, I DO NOT know about AWD and towing…please tell me.
    I asked before, but nobody said anything yet….if we add a performance chip boosting HP, would it "help" with the towing, or does it need more torque (and yes, Billy, a V8 would work!)

Not much in color choices…got it down to 3 colors…a dark burgundy, charcoal gray, and a slightly lighter charcoal gray….with black interior. Just not sure which to go with….Burdundy is last choice of the 3, but Dave likes it the best….but he said his preference doesn't matter (he he), …since he likes the others too.

Found combo I think I want (lighter charcoal w/black) in TUCSON…..!!! They have a sister dealership in Phoenix and will transfer it if I pay the shipping…..but I just can't bring myself to commit any money to it until I see it/drive it myself. So I think we'll be driving to Tucson this week….you around Billy, could stop and say Hi???….we'll be at the Chapman Acura dealership.

Rapidpony- This whole odyssey started with the Raptor! I've been drooling all over the Raptors for a while, and just recently started pestering Jay Dunford for all kinds of info…THEN I finally saw one at a dealership and flipped a U-ey and went to see it. Even with a step stool I couldn't get in the dang thing w/o a huge struggle…..….so I walked away with sad realization that I just couldn't get one. (Well, that and $50k didn't happen to fall from the sky yet)
    SO what was next?….monster horsepower AND LOW stance…BINGO…SRT8!

Nope….strike out...

NEXT up!…..MDX (don't care for FX styling, so I'll pass on that).

No PK…we're getng rid of the Lexus, not the VX ()…so Jack has to keep waiting!
    Oh, yeah, the ball came today PK…Super duper

to the internet I go…….

EDIT….quick research looks like it may have only been offered in the smaller RDX 4cyl 2.3l, and for 2013 they went with a 3.5l V6
    Last edited by VX KAT : 12/17/2012 at 11:03 PM
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Im sorry, i was wrong, you are correct, it is in fact the rdx that came with a turbo model.

Ill try to divulge again when im not typing from my phone

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    Im sorry, i was wrong, you are correct, it is in fact the rdx that came with a turbo model.

Ill try to divulge again when im not typing from my phone
    what's the issues with AWD and towing?
    HP is 300 @6300
    Torque is 270 @ 4500
    Can any performance chips improve it?

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    what's the issues with AWD and towing?
    IMHO ... nothing.

Some people feel that by nature an AWD transfer case is not built as strong as a 4WD case since slippage has to be built in. In my experience as long as the rated vehicle capacity is not exceeded, then it will be fine. Since there is slip built into the transfer case however, certain steps should be taken such as synthetic lube in the transfer case since slip=wasted energy & wasted energy=heat. Unfortunately, transfer cases do not have a pump for the fluid so an auxiliary cooler is not an option (at least not an easy one).

It's like saying that you should never, ever, ever, never, ever tow with a vehicle with a manual transmission. Pure bunk. I've done it ... & actually prefer it.

There's my $.02 ... & I expect change
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

What year MDX? And interesting that you owned a 91 Legend. I was building one for a bit...

http://forums.acuralegend.org/buildi...ame-t1899.html

Sue I know you've owned Land Rovers before, how about a supercharged Range Rover Sport? Supercharged V8 power (390hp/410lb-ft), tows in excess of 7700 lbs., easily lowered, nice interior. Downside is reliability is probably similar to Jeep and you're not likely to have a dealership close by. Looks like you could stay under $30K as long as you go back to 08/09 timeframe.

Can't help with the price, however, I can help with the getting in issue. There's a guy in my complex with a very lifted F350 and a very short wife. He has retractable power steps on his rig that come down far enough that his wife has no issue getting in. They automatically extend when he opens the door and then retract when the door closes.

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Pow...ning_board.htm

Scratch that, I actually may be able to help on the price. Let me know if you are interested and I'll see if I can get my hands on an X plan code. That will get you the Ford Friends and Family pricing.
    Last edited by RabidPony : 12/19/2012 at 05:54 AM