Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: JEEP Grand Cherokee SRT8....

JEEP Grand Cherokee SRT8....

OK, I'm making myself crazy (er) again...
    ALWAYS loved the look of the Jeep Grand Cherokee SVT8. Much lower than other SUVs obviously!
    I've got the bug really bad, so started to seriously look at them, have spent hours on the net looking...

2010 has a longer warranty, 3yr/36k basic, 5yr/100k Powertrain. So I'm aiming for a '10.
    6.1liter Hemi V8 - 420hp, 420 lb-ft at 4,800
    4WD but very basic, they removed all the offroad "stuff". Still very beefy at about 5,000 lbs.
    and check out those big beefy red Brembos!

I'd love to get black again but I just won't do it on a dirt road, so I'm looking at two different reds they offer.

Here's the thing.....I've never owned an American car, and am still somewhat scared to buy a Jeep.
    I can't find one anywhere in AZ to go see.
    All reviews I've read about reliability are favorable, and it's been in production since '06.
    I joined the SRT forum (SRT8 Kat...imagine that), and am trying to get info from past posts, and members. Interesting observation.... there's like 500 peeps online at any given time....

Anybody have any experience with this beast? Reliability, issues, ride, comfort, etc?
    And hey it gets around 10-12 MPG with some restraint on the skinny
    pedal, 8-9 if not!

Obviously very skinny rubber bands, and I've read the ride is very rough on rough, uneven pothole roads. What's that they say "rough"?....they don't know what ROUGH IS!
    But seriously, I'm wondering if I can get some meats a little taller, so more sidewall w/o adding width. Fronts are 255/45-20, rear 285/40-20.

First 3 pics are one color (Red Rock Crystal), next 3 are another color (Inferno Red).....so close...and last pic I don't know which it is (yet).
    Red Rock has a bit more orange hue, whereas the Inferno is more a cherry red.......decisions decisions....

RED ROCK CRYSTAL

INFERNO RED

I DON'T KNOW WHICH RED THIS IS:
    Last edited by VX KAT : 12/15/2012 at 05:42 PM
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Use the money that you would spend on that hopped up cherakee and drop a v8 in the VX!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Suzee, you know I ya like the sister I never had...BUT...

I think I see a possible "Arizona Intervention" in your future...

"friends don't let friends drive str8"...

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Suzee, you know I ya like the sister I never had...BUT...

I think I see a possible "Arizona Intervention" in your future...

"friends don't let friends drive str8"...
    ...well I guess I could drive eff'd up instead....nah, doesn't sound prudent, ..nope, wouldn't be prudent. ..just channeling my inner Dana Carvey.

If you drove an SRT8 you would quickly forget about your VX. I personally love them and if they didn't cost so much would have one in the driveway. And on s side note the ride is way better then the VX.
    They don't have 4 WD there AWD.
    I'd say go for it.

Sue i wouldn't say anything bad about the SRT-8 but consider some odds about owning one.

From what i understand you live in dewey which is a somewhat uneven terrain area,this SUV is not off road capable plus you can't adjust the height.

When it comes to tow the SRT-8 is completely useless,also they don't come with roof racks to carry along anything,plus is not that roomy inside in comparison to others SUV such as the trailblazer SS and service/maitainance is a pocket digger

I know from the experience of a close friend of mine who owns one that the tranny is a timming bomb,and very,very expensive to fix.

Electrical issues are very common with jeep products and certainly not that reliable at all.

I will only consider getting one of these if i don't plan to be my DD.

In regards of bigger tires i can't tell much of it,i personally never saw a single one with bigger tires other then the OEM size it comes with,and i usually attend racing tracks in NJ and long island where you can see lots of Jeep SRT8 competing

Hope it helps clear you thoughts !
    Last edited by Gussie2000 : 12/15/2012 at 07:20 PM
    Dakar was just the begining.

@ xtrems.

If that's the case then sue shall go for the Trailblazer SS instead of the SRT-8,yes the jeep may be faster,but no more reliable then the SS.

The SS has towing package,roofracks can be added and more room to deal with.

Plus the amount of available aftermarket parts and accessories for the SS surpasses the SRT8 hands down.

Forgot to mention that the SS also comes in red cherry color......

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    Go for it, those are awesome! I saw a few, they must have been having a meet, on a hwy here, could hear them coming! And I love the center dual exhaust! I would have gotten one but would have gotten rid of vx to get that, and with mileage I didn't want to drive that everyday for all I drive!
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

Don't have experience with the SRT8 specifically but from what i seen in my shop, Jeeps tend to be complete garbage after about 2002.. Poorly made interiors, suspension issues, and generally easily broken small parts such as hood props, TPMS sensors and spare tire mounts to name a few. Granted these are all small things but they add up and certainly increase frustration levels and make the vehicle feel cheap

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Are you sure you don't want a new SRT8?

A lot of HP but for the money I would get an older Inf FX45 or Porsche Cayenne

A lot of good counterpoint in this thread. As a former owner of 3 Jeeps, I echo the comments about mileage, reliability, bang-for-the-buck vs other choices, etc....

It certainly looks like the tires are undersized and a lift/larger wheel setup would make it more off-road worthy...but that's not what you described for needs, Kat.

This is more of a sportscar for someone so hooked on SUV's that they aren't willing to actually BUY a sportscar.

Unless you can jack one on the cheap, I'd probably consider other options first. Dropping a V8 in the VX isn't a bad choice either. You're still more unique.

Even the post above provides some more unique options.

If you really want an off-road Jeep, maybe you should consider one setup for that? Do you really want/need 420hp? Would it be easier to add some of the STR8's styling cues to a "standard" model? Or vica-versa?

IMO, the best option is to own a sportscar for summertime...and swap out pony duties to the VX on other days. Older, low-mileage cars can be a good option if you have to pay personal property in your state. Often you can save almost enough to pay for the extra vehicle insurance.
    2001 Ebony VX and 1989 Custom 383 Corvette

Thanks all, REALLY good points/info to consider ..

~Gussie - exactly the issues I'm worried about . exspensive things breaking .and sorry, not wild about the SS styling.

And the lack of towing capacity is a big drawback to doing this it officially has 3,500 lb tow rating but our trailer empty is 3,800 ..so the FJ will have to do it. It's rated at 5,000 lbs.
    Would a performance chip in the FJ that bumps HP increase the towing performance? We're always going to be within the 5,000 lb, but what could we do to it to "help" it, or is it all about torque?

~Jon- ARGH! YES I WANT the '13! I've already drooled all over everything and the two special editions Vapor and Alpine OMG, don't get me started I want Alpine:
    . but holy moly they're $62,000+!
    ANYBODY notice design cues that resemble the Evoque???

~I've always heard the "cheap" quality, and other break down issues too, that's the #1 thing making me hesitate.

~Don't care for the FX45 styling, new or old, kills it for me right there.

~I can't afford a Porsche, and also don't care for the Cayenne's styling, but even if I could, nearest service/dealership is over 100 miles away.ya see folks 'round dees here parts don't have dem 'spensive foreign sportz carz (he!! my Lexus is a rarity around here).

~Vette- What kind of repairs or problems did you have in your Jeeps?
    Dave had a '95 Wrangler when I met him and he didn't have many problems, but I always attributed that to that thing DIDN'T have any systems to break it was SO bare bones!

Also, we have absolutely no intention of off roading it, and NO LIFTING Hubby's FJ and the VX serve us fine for offroad.
    We've had top end sportscars, hubby had an M3, I had a BMW X5 with some M tweeks, Audi S4 (with a perf chip ), Audi TT, IROC-Z.See a trend there?...but that was long ago and far awayand we're in a totally different place now in our lives.
    Do you really "want/need xxxHP" in your vette? Of course not, neither do I, but you worded it absolutely perfectly: the SRT8 is
    a sportscar for someone so hooked on SUV's that they aren't (interested in) actually BUY a sportscar.

~We have a car loan for a Honda Civic we bought my mom, and it ends in 3 monthsso of course, I'm plotting what I want to do with that money...
    Finding many of these are priced $3k UNDER blue book, probably MPG issues I'm sure, but we're still tapped out at about $30k so the 2012 or 2013 SRT8 are not even in our universe. Ya'll know how I love dealing with car salesmen so maybe I can make this all happen!

~We decided to buy that EZ GO trailer thing and decided to pick it up in CO where they're made.and there's a nice '07, low mileage Red Rock Crystal in the N. Denver area, that's very reasonably priced even though I want a 2010, this one may still be a good choice, (will have to see).
    So I'm thinkin' ROADTRIP if the '07 is the one I want!..We get the trailer in Pueblo (hope to say hi to Scott and Laura!), hook up the trailer, head North to Denver, go to dealership and get the SRT, then caravan home. Just got Dave the new ProComp Xtreme Muds for his b-day so he'll be ready for any snow the SRT may as well be on skis if I hit snow

oh, forgot to mention the SRT scuff plate is about 3 1/2" lower than my Lexusactually about 1/2" lower than my VX!

decision continues....
    Last edited by VX KAT : 12/16/2012 at 12:06 AM

Ford Edge Sport AWD. Relatively unchanged from 2011-2013. We have a red 2011 and my wife still loves it. She has never loved a car after two years before. Sports come in White, Blue, Black, Silver and Red. The Red doesn't clash with the Foxfire either, Sue.

Here's a nice walk around a black one being sold.
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...ce6TLJE6ElEQfQ
    Bren Workman
    Gretna, NE
    (C) 402-312-1992

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You could also look at a Saab 9-4x Aero. They are fairly cheap since Saab went out but can be serviced/warrantied through GM.. I love the exterior styling and really love the interior. Good power (not quite SRT8, but acceptable) plus AWD