Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Our Mods are BAD!!!

hey Tone and everyone else...

I'm here to verify VX-Kings order. I talked to him a bit over the phone last week and he sounds legit. I believe he had also purchased a set of stock 18's from another member of the board as well.

He's currently on the list for the front skidplate (unpainted) and ordered the stainless grill kit #2 and shifterplate covers (recarro red). So, before any flaming should go any further, let's wait and see the pics of his modified VX when it's finished. From our brief conversation, it sounds like it's going to an interesting unveiling. Keep doing what you're doing VX-King.

Oh, btw Tone, I believe VX-King is interested in purchasing a set of the chrome side bars from ya. Might want to send him an e-mail.

cheers all...
    For custom VehiCross skidplates and accessories, check out:
    www.aftershockproducts.com

Just saying VX-King sent me a pic of a VX that was an enormous size 99megs or something, so I know he cant post that to the site. However I don't see how the hell he can say anything about the Hot shot intake, since he wasn't around when these where being produced.
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

Given the direction this thread was taking I'm not sure I want to continue it, but did think the discussion was interesting.

Has a concensus been met about K&N causing problems due to the oil? And what about Flowmaster vs PV? Why does everyone seem so big on PV for the VX? Is it that much better?

The reason people like the PV is because it was custom designed FOR the VX. Plus, it has shown to give a sizeable amount of HP when compared to stock. I don't think anyone has compared the PV and anything else aftermarket side-by-side. So, for the reason alone that someone designed and made a custom muffler for the VX and it added a decent amount of hp, the PV is well liked.

As for a K&N filter, I like my drop in. I compared it with an AMSoil filter, and while the AMSoil probably filters better, I just like the "feeling" of my K&N. I'm not saying there is a performance difference as I can't back it up, but it "feels" like the K&N gives a bit of a performance boost. Therein may be the problem, though, as it may not filter as much as the AMSoil, which in turn isn't good for the engine.

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    On Your Left,

I can answer your last question about the PV. The reason many of us purchased them was that the PV was built and dyno-tested on a VX. Gains of horsepower were documented. If you want to see information on the PV and testing stats before and after installation of a PV, go to

http://tonemonday.com/Storage/pv_muffler.pdf

You will need Adobe reader for it.

The search function on "PV" will bring tons of information on it. I think most who have a PV product are really happy with it. The louder sound was a boost for many but a real detraction for others.
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

Thanks for the info.

Anita, when you refer to the sound, and I've heard others mention its "louder" in other threads, are we talking about a deep, throaty sound, like I've heard from a Flowmaster on other vehicles or more of the compact sports cars, like Fast & Furious? The VX may be a Japanese motor, but I want it to sound like it looks.

I can vouch for the PV (first gen) as having a much deep(er) sound than a rice can. I wouldn't have kept it on if it didn't. The PV (gen 2) was coming with a "wheezinator" muffle cone (I guess) installed, and many didn't like the sound. Most have since removed the piece and it seems to sound better. I can't tell you if there is a difference in sound between gens 1 and 2, but my gen 1 sound really good. It usually takes a bit for the sound to deepen.

Flowmasters I believe were originally made for V8's, and for a while, their mufflers for smaller engines (V6's) weren't sounding too good. They may have since fixed this, but I have no idea. I do remember a Borla on my firends VW Corrado, and it was pretty quick, but loud and obnoxious as hell!

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    This is where there is a lot of different opinions. The consensus I believe among those who have had their PV is that the sound at the beginning is moderately loud, a bit "wheezy" at full throttle and can be a bear to get used to. Some owners could not get past that and traded out the PV.

I think for the majority of PV owners who stuck with it have said that the sound definitely mellows with time. It mellows and the pitch goes lower. It will always be louder than stock.. so know that up front. Many have solved this by dynamatting their VXes.

Some hated the exhaust tip and switched it out or took out the "filter" (for lack of a better word) in the tip, so the wheeze sound would stop.

Some PV owners will tell you that they do notice better performance and better gas mileage.

I am very happy with the sound of my VX now. It certainly gets attention without making neighbors angry in the morning when you start up the VX. That and the fact that the PV is the creation of a forum member, Featherfoot. ;Dr;
    Last edited by Anita : 11/20/2003 at 01:04 PM

i have a magnaflow muffler...2 1/2 inch mandrel bend custom catback...soon to make it dual exhaust just for the looks even tho it wont do anythign with the power...

i dont have any dynos but i've driven it hard when i was running stock and i drive it hard now with my mods...and you can definately feel a stronger pull, but not by much...even with any mods that only helps you gain 10 hp on such a heavy vehicle...like i said b4 on a previous thread...if you really wanan go fast, do an engine swap..or get the supercharger/exhaust/intake, and gut the whole interior and replace the two front seats with sparcos or bride racing seats and im pretty sure it'll shed many hundreds of pounds which will DEFINATELY improve your performance.
    How you gonna stop me im ill-literati/ im like an ill-mariachi wit an automatic shotty/ like tony montana to yo body/ now you really dont wanna come and test me/ i spit verbal fusilades im headin crusades/ to weed out all the fakes like it was da salem witch trials/ yo @ss betta run or else you gettin baked at the stake/ and that'll put a smile on mah face/

I've heard the PV, but only reving up while sitting still - kind of sounded like a muffler with a hole or leak. I'm looking for a European sound - more throaty. Has any one tried a Monza or exhaust like that?