Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Update on the LittleBeast, not good news.

Update on the LittleBeast, not good news.

So a few hundred miles after the complete rebuild of the 3.5L I noticed a small amount of coolant on the ground, so I took it back in and they said the water pump went bad. I tried to say that the chances of my 6 month old water pump going bad a couple of weeks after a rebuild and it not having anything to do with the rebuild is low. But they just gave me some stop leak to patch it up for now. I put that in and then about a week later I noticed water coming out the tailpipe, so I take it back over there and they said that there is no coolant in the radiator and the head gasket is probably blown and it probably over heated. If it overheated they said my 3 year warranty is voided and all repairs will be my responsibility.

They said they would look at it the next week and they would call me tues or wed and it is now the Sat after with no call.

I talked to another store manager and he said that since they took 5 weeks to rebuild and left the thermostat lying around and did not replace the $20 thermostat but put the old original one back on that the thermostat stuck and caused the seals in the new water pump to go bad and therefore caused overheating and to blow the head gaskets.

Regardless the shop manager said since they did not replace the thermostat they are not responsible for it going bad or the damage done by a faulty part. I know this is not right and to make me liable for their short sight on not replacing a 160,000 mile thermostat with a new $20 one is just wrong.

I will wait until they call me back and I am going to go talk with the owner, but I do not have a good feeling about this, and I had the means to pay for one rebuild, but I cannot pay for 2, so this may be the end of the LittleBeast.
    Last edited by LittleBeast : 01/12/2013 at 10:45 PM

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    I am going to go talk with the owner, but I do not have a good feeling about this, and I had the means to pay for one rebuild, but I cannot pay for 2, so this may be the end of the LittleBeast.
    It may be time to seek legal representation. It sounds like the direction they gave...and directly the parts they used for the warranty -- should not preclude honoring what happened. Suggesting that the overheating is somehow your fault AND a loop-hole is what sounds wrong to me.

Consult the language of your warranty....and means to advertise what happened.
    2001 Ebony VX and 1989 Custom 383 Corvette

Ditto!

Make a stink over it. Any shop should have insurance to cover them and their work. I can't beleive any shop would try to do this after a overhaul.

Push them where they don't want to be pushed.

Life is better when you go Topless

I'd say you need to check first heater pipes close to thermostat. If they not replaced seals that could be the reason. It flows from inside of V, so you can't tell where is the leak until look there and found coolant on top of engine.

Is there anything else wrong with the engine except of leaking coolant? If not, I'd say you have a big chance to fix it for cheap (two gaskets for intake manifold and 2 seals to the heater pipes).
    2001 Isuzu VehiCROSS (build in progress): 4JX1/A340/part time, 2" body lift, front Aisin hubs, rear Aussie Locker, 4.56 gears, OEM rear sway bar disconnect, AirFlow snorkel, cabin air filter
    1980 Jeep Cherokee (assembling): 1.5" body lift, TBI, HEI
    1987 AMC Eagle: stock

Sorry to hear it, LittleBeast. I feel your pain. I just had almost the EXACT same thing happen on my recent rebuild. Had a local shop rebuild the motor, and ended up with coolant leaking and mixing in the oil as soon as I got the car home. Luckily I noticed it before driving any real distance, and immediately had the VX towed back to the shop who performed the work. The head gasket was found to be leaking and needs to be replaced. Incredibly disappointing.

I wish you luck. Attorneys fees can quickly exceed the cost of the work here, so I would guess your best bet would be filing in small claims court if it goes that way, and if you have the time and patience for such an adventure. Sometimes threatening to might be enough for them to accept some responsibility.

I would say that the fact the shop actually recommended "stop leak" to you and advised you to continue driving the vehicle after you reported a coolant leak puts the liability square in their court, given the fact that A.) their recommendation did not resolve the leak you reported to them following their work and release of the vehicle to you, and B.) led directly to the overheating and head gasket failure. Regardless of whether the thermostat was "bad" to begin with, no reasonable shop should release a vehicle leaking coolant following a rebuild, period. They should have identified the problem and recommended a course of action for repair when you made them aware of the coolant leak.

However, if they advised to you replace the water pump and thermostat at either the time of rebuild or when the leak was reported, and you declined to have this work performed, you may not have a ton of options here.

Just my opinions. I am not an attorney, and this is not legal advice. :-)

Anyway, I feel for ya. Sucks man.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    All the best Ryan. I agree with Wintermute, especially the fact the they recommended stopleak. That is ridiculous.

Hopefully things work out. It would be terrible if you were forced to sell but I understand you can't endlessly dump money into the engine.
    Last edited by VXorado : 01/13/2013 at 02:52 PM

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Sorry to hear this Ryan..total bummer.

Small claims court would be a cheaper way to go than lawyers..
    .... if they dont step up and make good their mistakes.

Are they BBB members..that can be a way of applying pressure too.

Hope it all works out for you.

Jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Try getting the local news involved too. They won't want that kind of attention.
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

I hope it works out,I was in your near exact position last year...

Replaced an engine only for the transmission to go the week I got it back.

Thankfully, my shop done good by me. I think they paid for half of the tranny replacement (iirc). It was a big question if they had any responsibility, but they gave me what they could and I'm a customer for life. Still really knocked the wind out of me financially, for a while. At each step i considered scrapping it all. I dont like thinking about the ridiculous amount ive spent on this vx over the years. It's gone way too far now. I have to keep her until i die. The biggest time that was in serious question was the engine then tranny debacle. Year of hell.
    THIS WE'LL DEFEND

Did your temp gauge indicate overheating at any time?
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

this is like a reoccurring bad dream i have - seriously nothing gets done in my town unless someone dies or the news/paper is involved - very best of luck to you

I never had the temp gauge or idiot light come on at all.

I we t back to the shop today. Shop manager said he pulled the motor already, and the head gasket is blown, but they do not know why. So this leads me to believe that it did not overheat or they would have just said so I think.

Hope they make it right Ryan.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

That sucks Ryan. I hope they stand behind their work and make it right.