Thread: TOD/Transmission Help?

TOD/Transmission Help?

Hey guys! I bought a 2001 Vehicross back in October, and to be honest have been putting on joining this forum, although I have lurked since I owned it. I live in the Hudson Valley in NY.

Recently I have had an issue. It's difficult to describe, but i'll do my best.

From park to drive, it may/may not actually engage. It feels like the transmission does, but nothing out of the transfer case. if it doesn't i have to rev it up to 3k+ to get it to start moving then it sorta lumps into "gear" and drives like normal until about 14mph when the light turns on and may/may not disengage and rev like crazy for a moment because its unexpected. If it does that you have to wait until it lumps again into gear. It will do it again when shifting from first to second, and also when torque settings change (changing to a heavy incline, etc). It's very irritating. It has not once thrown a check engine or a check TOD light.

It did it to me once before a few weeks ago but only for a day, and it did through a light on the TOD. Didn't happen again under any circumstance until a few days ago.

It should be noted it has been wet out both times this has happened. I took out both sensors on the TOD and air dried them and pack them full of electrical grease to no avail. All the tires are within 1psi.

I have a video of the operation I am describing that I will be putting on youtube for you guys soon.

Any tips? I'm excited to own the Vehicross and becoming an active member of the forums!

Vincent Carcaramo

My first two thoughts would either be that the transmission fluid level is low and needs to be topped off, or that the transmission mode selector switch on the drivers side of the transmission is in need of cleaning or replacement.

The transmission fill plug/hole is on the passenger side of the transmission near the top and the fluid level should be about even with the bottom of the hole with the plug removed. Sadly, there is no transmission dipstick or dipstick tube through which to add fluid on the Vehicross, so if necessary, adding fluid has to be done through the actual fill/plug hole.

The contacts on the transmission mode selector switch (on the drivers' side of the transmission) sometimes get corroded, and that can cause erratic behavior from the transmission. Sometimes the switch can be removed, cleaned, then reused, and sometimes just replacing the switch is necessary. Some here have also stated that when that selector switch was the problem , they'd also noticed that the dashboard lights that indicate what gear the transmission is in also behaved erratically, so if you've noticed that too, the mode selector switch is likely the culprit.

Mode selector switch http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...hp?photo=15781

Hope this helps and that it's something relatively simple like one of the two things I've described.

Welcome to the site Vincent.

Okay I'll give that a look this weekend and get back to you guys. Actually just the other day I was looking for a dipstick for the transmission and I was feeling pretty stupid at least my suspicions were correct! How available is the switch?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxpgx...ature=youtu.be

Here's a video of the latest drive.

Thanks!

Vince

Gear indicator light on the dash looks constant, so maybe a faulty transmission mode selector switch can be moved down the list. Do your service records indicate when (mileage-wise) the transmission fluid and filter was last changed?

What does it do in 4lo? If it acts the same I would say it's tranny related and fluid level is a good place to start. Make sure and use the correct procedure when checking the level...it's been explained a few times on here and a search should find it.
    If the problem is not present in in 4lo then I would be checking the transfer case. Fluid level is a good start again.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

From the video, I don't see anything TOD related. Seems all transmission related. Worn out bands, low fluid, etc...
    Trans Mode Switch gives totally different symptoms.
    Have you tried changing the fluid and filter yet?
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

Thanks guys. The fluid I know was replaced about 1500 miles ago, but what I did find was a leak in one of the hoses going to the cooler! It was rot in the metal part where the rubber line meets the metal. I cut the metal part back a few inches and replaced the rubber line with a longer one. Now I'm trying to get fluid into the transmission with the fill procedure I found on the forums. Just to make sure, fill it up until it starts dribbling out and check again in X amount of miles just to be safe? When I took it off nothing dribbled out at all (due to the leak).

When you fill it the tranny needs to be warmed up, in neutral and engine running. Fill til it starts to come out the fill hole. Run through the gears. Top off fluid again.

Okay. So I did that and it seems to be fine. I'm gonna check it next weekend to be safe, as well as check for leaks again until then. It seems to be working okay again! Thanks guys!!

Just glad it was only a little low on fluid and that the leak repair was easily solved.

So am I haha! That fill procedure was a pain though; this was my first time having to do a fill job like that. I didn't have a hose that was the right size to seal itself tight, so I found a fitting that was for metal lines lying around that threaded right in, and stuck the hose though that. I also didn't have one long enough so I connected a bunch so it was a SLOW process! It ended up being an entire quart low though, probably from driving 1500 miles with that leak, which by the way doesn't seem to be leaking anymore either. Thanks again!

Vinny

I am a new owner of a VX. Noticed in the video the TOD indicator showing single bars on the front. Is that the normal? I was hoping to see no power to front unless the road was slippery or the go pedal was mashed to the floor. Other than putting lock out hubs or a front drive disconnect is there a way to set rear drive only?

Sorry if I have hijacked, but it seems the OP question has been answered.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by RodL View Post
    I am a new owner of a VX. Noticed in the video the TOD indicator showing single bars on the front. Is that the normal? I was hoping to see no power to front unless the road was slippery or the go pedal was mashed to the floor. Other than putting lock out hubs or a front drive disconnect is there a way to set rear drive only?

Sorry if I have hijacked, but it seems the OP question has been answered.
    Yes, the transfer case will always split power to the front wheels after you get up to a certain rolling speed.

Manual hubs and the TOD off switch work well together. I will typically run 2WD in dry weather and notice a little smoother ride & 1-2 MPG increase.

Use the search function to research more info on the TOD off switch. The decision is split between it being a good or bad way to run the transfer case. I've personally used the off switch for a couple years without having any issues and would recommend it to anyone who is comfortable with 12V wiring.

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...warticle&id=74