Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 3.8L Series II w/ SC swap?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ive always wanted to see the swap done on the VX. Thought about doing it myself but i didnt want to be the first to try!

Quote Originally Posted by swanny View Post
    Mine is supercharged right now so losing that would suck, but at this point this vx has been nothing but a money pit (granted, my fault for wanting mods ) so I am not sure what to do.
    I think you should try the swap! And sell me your supercharger

Quote Originally Posted by swanny View Post
    I think my engine seized up on me last night (lack of oil, even though I just put in a couple quarts a couple weeks ago) It's in the shop now so it's not for sure yet. Anyway, need to start thinking about either a swap or selling the rig. Is the 3800 a good option? Would it be much more $$$ to do the LS4?

Mine is supercharged right now so losing that would suck, but at this point this vx has been nothing but a money pit (granted, my fault for wanting mods ) so I am not sure what to do.
    Well, consider the age of this thread and still nothing concrete

If I was in your position, I would get another stock engine (with lower mileage) and put it in. I often see Troopers with blown trannies for as little as $600. Buy one of those, keep the engine (and perhaps a few other parts, like: TOD and rear end), trash the rest. You might even be able to get $100-$200 for scrap metal.
    96 Eclipse Spyder GSX (already turbo, AWD swap)
    93 Eagle Summit AWD (4G63 turbo swaps)

Has anyone considered the cost of a swap and all the time a headache involved, vs. building an improved 3.5? Wouldn't getting a re-man engine that already has the piston issues fixed and then its a direct bolt in swap be easier, cheaper and more reliable in the end?

I'm not against engine swaps, but I am a fan of the stock 3.5 and keeping the TOD seems to be a major concern for most people. I barely use TOD and leave my front hubs unlocked most of the time, so loosing it isn't much of a concern for me.

Also, on the whole Northstar V8 route. I would never want one of those piles in my engine bay. I've never seen one that doesn't leak and they are a nightmare to work on. The 3.8 V6's aren't bad, but I know they have plenty of their own problems with intake leaks and carbon build up.