Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: side angle

side angle

this might sound rediculous, but when i look at my vx from the side i can see the transmission mount, transfer case, and the rear control arm or sway bar or whatever its called underneath sticking out beneath the body line - when i look at pics in the galleries on here and i see pics from the side some of them do not seem to have the rear bars at all and some seem to have the transfer case and transmission up higher than mine - i didnt think that a suspension lift would raise anything like that and a body lift would show more of the undercarriage wouldn't it? ive never seen another vx in person so i come to you all for your input - ...or maybe im just way overthinking this...

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Yeah that always bugged me as well. I could see the transfer case on mine until I installed the kilby skid plates & rock sliders which make the under carriage look uniform.

You're right about the lifts. A suspension lift will show the lower links more and a body lift will show the frame/links more. Rocksliders, steps or skid plates will help cover up the under carriage and give you a cleaner looking side profile.

Evil, do you have a good pic? I don't ever remember seeing the tranny on a side profile...

i cant see the actual trans just the mount that holds it up:

i would like it to look like this:

would i have to fab mounting brackets for rock sliders or does someone sell a ready made kit?
    Last edited by evillecutter : 01/30/2013 at 01:34 PM

Yes that's normal.

The sliders in the 2nd pic are made by Rocky-Road. They're called super sliders and are bolt on.

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    Both of mine look like yours EC. Gotta admit, that rock slider really does a nice job of hiding the undercarriage!
    Vixer Fixer

I use the rockyroad sliders as well. those things can take a beating! I have landed the weight of the truck on jagged rocks lots of times, not a dent. They use hitch steel, so its fairly indestructible.

The yellow is some of that fancy reflector tape, looked awesome at night, but it made it through one wheeling trip and got ripped off After 4 years, they are still bolted fairly tight, I have to tighten them every so often. I wish I had the weld one, but at the time, I didn't know how or have access to a welder. One note, ifyou order them, have them shorten them by 3 or 4 inches in the front. They were designed with stock sized tires in mind. I had to cut mine back, so if you go 3-4 inches shorter, you can evolve to 35s one day without worry

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by evillecutter View Post
    this might sound rediculous, but when i look at my vx from the side i can see the transmission mount, transfer case, and the rear control arm or sway bar or whatever its called underneath sticking out beneath the body line - when i look at pics in the galleries on here and i see pics from the side some of them do not seem to have the rear bars at all and some seem to have the transfer case and transmission up higher than mine - i didnt think that a suspension lift would raise anything like that and a body lift would show more of the undercarriage wouldn't it? ive never seen another vx in person so i come to you all for your input - ...or maybe im just way overthinking this...
    My stainless steel nerf bars solved the problem and tied into the chrome wheels

You guys are getting into the true nitty gritty of what the VX is all about.....great styling. Forget the lift and rock climbing (I'm sure I'll get the slings and arrows now but...) the VX has some interesting performance specs like computer controlled four wheel drive, hooked to a differential locking four low, and super high-grade shocks but the bottom line is that without manual shift it's no off road star. But the agressive looks make up for the performance shortfalls. Keep your VX looking great and it will reward you in many ways. Get some rock sliders to make it look good, don't really worry about surmounting those rocks...you might scratch a beautiful truck.

Wish they would have made the brackets on the Rodeo super sliders the same as they did on the VX. Had nothing but issues with mine and it kept tearing the bolts out, eventually tore chunks out of the rocker pinch seam. I bought a welder, got some scrap 2x2x 1/4" steel tube and fixed the problem. Mine are now welded to the frame.

--Dave

After I put the bigger tires and the 913s, I noticed this more - but it didn't bother me too much because I don't go off road too often. And when I do, it's mostly mud, sand, or snow. (Need moar snow!).

But the step bars that Tom mounted up back at our meet in MD mostly mask it now. I've got no complaints.

Stay tuned for pics of recent upgrades. ;-)

-V
    -VI VX VNIVERSVM VIVVS VICI-

ok im thinking about getting a set of the rocky road sliders - they are almost $400 w/ shipping but im justifying them with the mindset that if i do ever go off road (which is the plan evantually) i will need them anyways and if i dont i could probably sell them to someone on here for around half price if necessary - glentom i really like your wheel caps calipers and step rails they look great - and im back and forth about contacting them to shorten them because i really like the look the way they are they look like they should match the body lines really well - do you think i could shorten them myself later if necessary? im fluent in saw-zall-ology
    Last edited by evillecutter : 01/31/2013 at 06:46 AM

too late i got all excited and ordered a set now if i could only justify the sunroof....

they have a picture of ldub's machine for the vehicross suspension lifts - man that guy is everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by evillecutter View Post
    they have a picture of ldub's machine for the vehicross suspension lifts - man that guy is everywhere!
    I know. Being the main VX on rocky-road has made Dub "King of Google Search Images". He gets the top spot if you type in "vehicross" in google images.

My claim to fame is 7th spot if you type in "lifted vehicross" or 1st spot if you type "vehicross snorkel":

Why do I know this... OBSESSION!!!

i was wrong it was $400 for the rock sliders add another hundro for the "super" sliders - said they would make them today and i should only have to drill a few holes - someone tell me this is a good investment