Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 3D Printed VX Grill Badge

Quote Originally Posted by jasonm621 View Post
    I have another silver one that has been waiting to be shipped to some lucky person. Anyone interested?
    Mine showed up today. Thanks!

I did wonder how you could do chrome "plating" since I ordered the chrome. After receiving it, I see it's more like bright silver. I've often used "Chrome" paint -- made by Duplicolor. It looks much brighter than your average silver and mimics polished aluminum.

I've also learned to...and polished aluminum. Though some mistake polished aluminum for chrome, their is a marked difference in shine. Chrome is WAY more like a mirror.

So...I'm not sure I'd call your chrome "chrome". It's very well made though! Thanks!

Gregg
    2001 Ebony VX and 1989 Custom 383 Corvette

Got my Orange and Silver (Chrome it is not). Decisions, Decisions, I think I'll start with Orange after I detail the grill!! They look very nice, thanks Jason for filling a niche!!

Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    Got my Orange and Silver (Chrome it is not). Decisions, Decisions, I think I'll start with Orange after I detail the grill!! They look very nice, thanks Jason for filling a niche!!
    Your very welcome! Glad you got the package so fast. I agree that "chrome" is probably not the best word choice... Unfortunately TRUE chroming of plastics are unbelievably expensive and extremely hazardous chemicals are involved. Believe me ive looked into it. Id have to sell a LOT of VX's to make the investment worth it. The next best thing is krylon metallic and a generous clear coat. Be sure to post pics of the orange, im curious! Thanks again to ALL who order my Vehicross goodies!

Quote Originally Posted by 89Vette View Post
    Mine showed up today. Thanks!

I did wonder how you could do chrome "plating" since I ordered the chrome. After receiving it, I see it's more like bright silver. I've often used "Chrome" paint -- made by Duplicolor. It looks much brighter than your average silver and mimics polished aluminum.

I've also learned to...and polished aluminum. Though some mistake polished aluminum for chrome, their is a marked difference in shine. Chrome is WAY more like a mirror.

So...I'm not sure I'd call your chrome "chrome". It's very well made though! Thanks!

Gregg
    Im gonna have to look more into the rattle can chrome.
    ATTENTION ALL: Anyone that can come up with a viable alternative resulting in a true chrome and post the results of their findings using their VX Emblem or anything that they have ordered from me- I'll give that person a set of spare tire cover knobs, Yakima rack screw flaps and a VX Emblem! All a color of their choice!

Check out:

www.alsacorp.com

Hope this helps. rudy
    For custom VehiCross skidplates and accessories, check out:
    www.aftershockproducts.com

Quote Originally Posted by ron View Post
    Check out:

www.alsacorp.com

Hope this helps. rudy
    You think this would work well with the Cladding Screw Heads?
    ---------

Ty

Quote Originally Posted by ron View Post
    Check out:

www.alsacorp.com

Hope this helps. rudy
    Its not bad! I actually looked into this product before but couldnt justify the $300 price tag... Good eye though!

I look back thru this thread but didn't see instructions for mounting the non-adhesive-backed emblems. Did I miss it?

Quote Originally Posted by 89Vette View Post
    I look back thru this thread but didn't see instructions for mounting the non-adhesive-backed emblems. Did I miss it?
    I think most of us used 3M double stick tape.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    I think most of us used 3M double stick tape.
    Ooops...I super-glued it!
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by jasonm621 View Post
    Im gonna have to look more into the rattle can chrome.
    ATTENTION ALL: Anyone that can come up with a viable alternative resulting in a true chrome and post the results of their findings using their VX Emblem or anything that they have ordered from me- I'll give that person a set of spare tire cover knobs, Yakima rack screw flaps and a VX Emblem! All a color of their choice!
    I've been looking at these guys (http://www.innate.com) stuff for awhile now. I'm looking at picking up some black chrome from them eventually for my rims... They also have sampler packs.
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

You can also just use chrome vinyl and wrap them, it's really not that hard and if done right it will look awesome and last a long time. From my experience and research it's almost impossible to get a real mirror chrome finish from rattle can chrome paints. The vinyl looks like the real deal and is removable so if someone wanted to change the color of it, it's as simple as removing the vinyl.

http://autovinylsolutions.com/avery/avery_chrome

Quote Originally Posted by clipper 03 rodeo View Post
    You can also just use chrome vinyl and wrap them, it's really not that hard and if done right it will look awesome and last a long time. From my experience and research it's almost impossible to get a real mirror chrome finish from rattle can chrome paints. The vinyl looks like the real deal and is removable so if someone wanted to change the color of it, it's as simple as removing the vinyl.

http://autovinylsolutions.com/avery/avery_chrome
    or plasti dip - they have a gloss black and gunmetal now - as soon as i get my proton back the wheels are getting sprayed black but havent decided on matte or gloss yet

a couple of members on here have done theirs and it looks great - inexpensive too - plus i want something i can take off later if i want to
    Last edited by evillecutter : 06/13/2013 at 01:42 PM

Hey jason
    I need at least one red vx badge sometime.

Life is better when you go Topless

Quote Originally Posted by VxSport View Post
    Hey jason
    I need at least one red vx badge sometime.
    I have one red one left that Jason made (#8 in pic)
    It's a little darker than pic, flash washed it out.
    Here's the post:
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...4&postcount=20