Thread: 4 year accessory update

4 year accessory update

Its been 4 years since I added a lot of my modifications. Just an update/review on some of them.
    Scangage II-Still works perfect, in the ashtray slot. Never did the xgage update, too lazy I suppose. Worth its weight in gold.

Ebay HID headlights. One of my best buys! They were somewhere around 60 bucks IIRC, bulbs and transformers included. I had to swap a pair of wires on the factory harness and haven't messed with them since. I had a point where one was flickering for awhile, turns out, the harness had mud in it. I also had a noisy transformer but that went away on its own. Still on the original bulbs, no flickering, no pulsing. The transformers are coated in mud, work like a champ. I am way past my money's worth on those.

Rancho 9000s-These have been reviewed to death. Mine are still good, get adjusted regularly, 1 on the trails, 9 on the street. The knobs seem a bit loose as far as attachment to the shock, but the adjustment tension feels the same.

Digital rear view mirror-Ebay special <200 bucks. Camera only made it 1 year, on my third camera, but I need to put the monitor back in. I took out when I shipped the truck, just sitting in the garage now, well worth it as far as having a great rear view.

Green stuff brake pads-I think these were more at the 3 year point when I did the cross drilled rotors. No complaints.

Apex racing SS brake lines-Had one blow the first week, I think it was pinched in the bracket, no problems since.

Optima red top-On my second one, I ran that battery dead so many times, I am ok with the 4 yr lifespan.

Eclipse head unit-The face plate died recently, still works as far as controls, but no display, I just bang on it and it will pop on sometimes. Oh well, no biggie on that one, it was <200 bucks with integrated blue tooth and streaming capability. Back then, that was primo

Polk DB speakers-Crap. Had to replace those 2 years ago, blew them out of the front door, and that was off of the head unit Replaced them with some mid grade Kickers, much better, no problems since.

Rocky Road Sliders-Other than having to cut them if you go bigger than stock tires, they have held up like a champ. I tightened the bolts for the first time a few weeks ago, first time since install. There are lots of scratches on the bottom, but no dents that I can see.

Pepboys faux carbon fiber hood scoop. Still there, with the original tape, no problems. Looks the same as it did 4 years ago! Good 40 bucks spent. For those that don't remember, I actually cut a hole through the insert and the hood for that project, 6" vent on top of the engine, good backup for keeping the truck cooler on the trail.

Cobra CB. Can't remember the model number, but it is the one where the controls are in the mic, and the guts are a separate box. Been inside my center console for 4 years now, never had a problem.

Ebay LED driving lights-They were like 4 bucks each. I bought 4, two are on the front bumper,they don't like rocks by the way, but still work mostly. The other two replaced my license plate lights in the back. Looks like a hover craft, may be a bit too bright for that application, but I had them and the OEM ones were dead.

Underhood light from a suburban dome light swap. I use that often, that 20 foot cord is handy, need to swap from bulb to CREE LED so its much brighter.

Rear ashtray to drink holder conversion from Trooper. Very nice, always forget its there, just use the seat extension as a holder mostly

Hasn't been 4 years, but the herculiner hood and fender treatment has been awesome! I redo the UV top coat every year, but no peeling, no fading except on the fiberglass insert. I didn't rough up the surface, so it is all but gone there.

Diff drop brackets!!

I am sure there are more mods that are still there, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Failed mods-LED under lights, they worked, but once the tubes got mud on them, it stuck. The plastic is too porous so they looked like crap after that. Removed those last year.

Inclinometer, it still works just fine, but I never use it. I have pegged it out both vertical and horizontal and kept going, so its not of much use other than looks.

Ebay flexible LED turn signals-They didn't last long before the plastic yellowed. Still there, but I doubt they work anymore, never really checked or cared. Once the new bumper is done, they will be gone anyway.

Taurus drink holder-Not convenient to use in the bottom slot. Took it out and put an inverter in its place, far more useful.
    Last edited by Marlin : 02/20/2013 at 03:18 PM

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

How about your Showroom New dye? Has it survived the Dennis the Menance aka Marlin?
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

The LED ebay driving lights? What brand, wattage and are they plug and play or require special wiring?Thx

That's quite a list Dude. KUDOS!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    How about your Showroom New dye? Has it survived the Dennis the Menance aka Marlin?
    The dye was a great buy! Forgot about that. When was that big push, a few years ago? Anyway, I did no prep, just hosed it off, no rubbing alcohol, no dilution or spraying and so on. I used a cheap ole harbor freight foam brush and lathered it on. Looks the same today as it did then. I am sold on that stuff for life (because I will never need to buy it again) It has stood up to mud, pressure washing and trees. I can see a few spots where I pinstriped through the outer layer of plastic, need to touch that up at some point.
    I bought two bottles and used a little over one bottle to do all of the cladding.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    That's quite a list Dude. KUDOS!
    Thanks Tom,
    that list is not even near all the upgrades, just the ones that may be of questionable quality, I have a ton of Indy4x stuff, ball joint spacers, snubbers, torsion bars, soon to be lower links, aussie locker (another great buy), greasable sway bar bushings, SFIFS and so on. Didn't feel that I needed to review those.
    Oh, I forgot the roof basket. Don't remember the brand, but the curves follow the outline of the VX, I cut the cross bars in order to fit a 34" tire. Still holding up strong and looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksambo View Post
    The LED ebay driving lights? What brand, wattage and are they plug and play or require special wiring?Thx
    Here is a link to ones that look to be the same as I bought back then. They are not terribly bright, but MORE than enough for the license plate lights or as marker lights. No special wiring, just cut off the OEM plug, turn the lights on, connect them to figure out which is pos and neg. Or you could use a meter, but I was lazy and that way I knew they worked before wiring them up and installing them

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-8-LED-lig...item3f1b72ffe9

Even with the front cover smashed in, they still work, they have been submerged, bashed glued, you name it. I think I lost one row of LEDs at some point though, I just checked and a few are out. No complaints for 8 bucks. I did order some light bars on here for the new bumper, those are the real deal

I will be adding some single bulb CREE LED lights in the wheel wells at some point, cool rock lights and not a hard project.

I added some pics to the list. I added the diff drop brackets as well

[

Here is a link to ones that look to be the same as I bought back then. They are not terribly bright, but MORE than enough for the license plate lights or as marker lights. No special wiring, just cut off the OEM plug, turn the lights on, connect them to figure out which is pos and neg. Or you could use a meter, but I was lazy and that way I knew they worked before wiring them up and installing them

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-8-LED-lig...item3f1b72ffe9

Thanks, I'll look into them. Need to replace my license lights, bad.