Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: OBD not ready and Fails the inspection

Unhappy OBD not ready and Fails the inspection

Hello
    I need help or info about the OBD .I replaced the battery and forget to save the car memory, all the OBD Data lost and inspection fails
    The mechanic told me run the car about 100 miles test again. When I test again I ready run on 200 miles for the second test and still fails. (OBD not READY) I just want to know any had this problem before and how many miles I need before go to the third?
    Best Regards,

I just went though the same thing! Only I had the use of the scanner, so I didn't even go back until I got my readiness all set. Most codes came back OK with in 20-30 miles. However, EVAP system took FOREVER!!! It had to go around 300 before it finally was ready!

OBD2 is looking for "events", I suspect that for EVAP it wants you to gas up at least once and then keep the pressure.

You might also need a nice long run at a constant speed. I recall reading the code on one of those tests and the list of preconditions was crazy. The engine had to be warm, the load had to be at a certain value and not changing, etc, etc, etc... Then, if something changed while it was testing it would cancel the test and wait for conditions to improve again!

Thank You mdwyer and Leon R for the info.I will try 500 miles before go to other test

these are sometimes based on number of starts too. I typically tell people drive it for 2 weeks and bring it back in.

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Angry

Thanks etlsport I already drive more than two weeks and now 500 miles on ... still fail the test . I will go for a least 1000 miles for the fouth test

It needs some highway speeds mixed in with your driving. And some tests are run after you are below 1/2 tank of gas.

Thanks bearandbee ...I already try full tank ,half tank and almost empty also my speeds is between 50 - 65 ... now I thinks I will wait for 1000 miles to take the other test

Hi any one can help me get more information about the OBD not ready and Fails the inspection...This time I go to the mechanic with 800 miles and scan the OBD .and the mechanic say is ready for the test ,unfortunately still fails and come out OBD NOT READY????? The question is my car computer in not work or something else problem??? If The computer problem ...can
    I just switch the computer ( but some mechanic say the on OBD must be work with the dealer only ? because each OBD had special code for each car??

I would try a different mechanic just for a second opinion. And that's BS about the dealers being the only ones who can switch computers, it's just a matter of pulling the plug on the old and plugging a new one in.

Thank You vt_Maverick ..,now I already drive 994 miles and I think I will adds 600 miles before go to other inspection ,because each time fails I had 30 days for fixing the problem if fails again I think I will buy the use OBD but the question is when the scaner say the ODB cannot find any error code ,Is that means the ODB is ready to inspection or need to find other kind scaner for the state inspection test?

If the scanner says no codes found then you should be good to go for inspection I would think.

Other than the actual codes, there is "readiness status" which assures that ECU had plenty of opportunities to check the car (and come up with the codes, if needed). Otherwise, people would just reset the codes and quickly take their car to the inspection section, thus avoiding real diagnostics.

It is possible that your ECU keeps getting reset. How is your battery? Any other electrical oddities?

I'd beg/borrow/steal a scan guage to hook up to the VX. Not that it's going to find any codes or be able to re-set the the computer, it's just sounding like your computer may be having a problem. If the scan guage can not connect to the computer then you know you're having issues with the computer. If the scan guage is connecting, then I'd be wondering if the inspection station is having problems with their equipment.

Also, you should be able to have the inspection station test for readiness to test BEFORE they commit to the inspection. Failing an inspection and being 'not ready' are 2 entirely different things.

However, having said all of that, I'm not required to pass emissions in the county I live in. So take all of this as speculation.

A lot of people think of the OBDII connector as being a 'magic port' and that any readings are to be taken without question. I've found that the error codes read from the OBDII are for general guidance only and do not necessarily point you to the specific (or even correct) item to replace. For instance, I have a recurring P0421 code being thrown on my Eclipse. Some people sink hundreds of dollars on replacing O2 sensors & catalytic converters to fix the problem. It works for some & not for others. I just reset the 'puter & keep driving. Also interesting, about 1/2 the time when I connect the scan guage on the Eclipse, it turns off my speedo (but not on the VX or on the RV (go figure)).
    Last edited by tom4bren : 03/21/2013 at 09:09 AM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Im glad we dont have inspections here in Oregon.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...