Thread: Operation: OVERLAND VX

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Marlin,
    I just went out and bought almost everything on that list minus the CV's and half shafts. For this leg of the trip with the little amount of offroad we are seeing (minus the AlCan) and trying to keep the weight down I also opted not to carry an extra starter. I got all of the oil I'll need for a change 3k miles in. Finding a way to carry the oil, and extra fuel can, and water now.

Any suggestions?
    Check out VehiCROSSAmerica on Facebook or @VehiXAmerica on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Ala5ka View Post
    Marlin,
    I just went out and bought almost everything on that list minus the CV's and half shafts. For this leg of the trip with the little amount of offroad we are seeing (minus the AlCan) and trying to keep the weight down I also opted not to carry an extra starter. I got all of the oil I'll need for a change 3k miles in. Finding a way to carry the oil, and extra fuel can, and water now.

Any suggestions?
    Do you have a hitch? If so, one of those aluminum hitch tray would work great! Light weight, hold a few hundred pounds and easy to take off and store on the roof. Plus, easy to access for fuel and water.
    I don't carry half shafts, that is not a trail repair, plus, I have never heard of one failing all at once?
    I would recommend one of the cheap Ebay CV joints. They are fine if you don't have a front locker. <80 bucks, just in boots, boot clamps and grease they are worth that much

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Ala5ka View Post
    Marlin,
    I got all of the oil I'll need for a change 3k miles in. Finding a way to carry the oil, and extra fuel can, and water now.

Any suggestions?

• I'd get a ScanGaugeII so you can read any codes that pop up.

• Add a PCV valve to your parts list

• I know you bought it with 28k just a few years ago, and you're at 58k now.
      Have you ever seen ANY oil consumption, and especially as the miles increased?
      Several here have said they had no oil issue until after around 60k.

• Also, with your many LONG drives from CA/AZ/AK up to Anchorage, did you see any oil consumption on the long duration drives?

• My guess is you'll need a lot more oil than the 5 qts or so for a change, but you'll be in civilized areas much of the time right? So you could buy more oil along the way.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.