Thread: late night window idea

late night window idea

So I am up late at night thinking of the window issues that plague our VX's. I was wondering if anyone else had an idea or thought about converting the power windows to a manual crank style window. Does anyone know if Trooper or Amigo parts could be altered to work this out?

Then I got to thinking about possibly fabbing up a latch system were the window would remain down or all the wap up, and a spring loaded latch could be welded or bolted to the top of the door frame. Of course this would call for a catch of some sort to be adheared to the upper glass.

Ideas/thoughts? Any feedback? maybe I should just go back to sleep.

There are known fixes for our problems. SBC metal brackets, bungee cord, and enlarging/silicone spraying tracks has fixed everyone's problems who have actually tried all of these.

To much work to modify the vx windows to manual. You would have to dirll holes in shell, add metal brackets and in the middle of the door panel have a handle sticking out. I couldn't see how to make it work and look stock, or even close to stock.

I have done 2 out of three of the fixes mentioned by Littlebeast, they do work. I have the last one (SBC brackets) sitting on the work bench for spring projects.

Day dreaming of projects daily.....

Life is better when you go Topless

Silicone spray. Works everytime for me.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Yup X2...

Quote Originally Posted by UWVX89 View Post
    Silicone spray. Works everytime for me.
    ...I keep a small can handy in the car.

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+1 x3? for silicone spray. I did also widen the track on the driver's side. But some spray every few months keeps them both working fine for me.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    PO put the SBC bracket on the passenger side and I have the extra for the driver's side if it's ever needed...silicone spray every few months for the last three years and never an issue...
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Manual cranks solve only one issue: you do not have to buy new motors. They can still bind, tilt and stick .

I found using washer/spacers to solve the problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Leon R View Post
    Manual cranks solve only one issue: you do not have to buy new motors. They can still bind, tilt and stick .
    Agreed.

Now that I have a spare regulator for both sides, I've got a mod in mind to try out. Basically I plan on replacing the stoopid plastic guide that breaks with 2 wheels that will run on the center bar of the regulator to keep the glass level. I'll let you know how it works out ... but I wouldn't mind someone volunteering to beta test it for me (so I don't need to take my doors apart ... AGAIN!).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

At least in my case. I believe the issue is a function of the weather stripping. My window pitches foward as it enters the A pillar of the strip: and lifts out is it is lowered. Causing the glass to bind.

I used to make weather strips for a living. So I plan to use some tricks I learned. The first one will be to hinge the inside of of the contact lip on the A pillar. I plan to remove the strip. Take an exact o knife and trace the line of wear (inside the curve of the lip) creating a crease: or hinge point in the lip allowing it to break or fold over with less resistance.

I may also increase the lead in (area glass enters the A pillar) and coat the cut rubber with glue and cloth to decrease resistance. I have several other ideas to reduce resistance if these mods dont work.

I think any type of bracket will fatigue and break eventually if the contact issues with the weather stripping is not addressed.

Anyone who fixes the winder probs for good (& makes the fix doable for shade tree mechanics) will be every VX owners bestest bud ferever!

Go for it.