Thread: CV trouble!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy HELP! CV trouble!

HEY EVERYONE, Boarzhead just called me up, I guess his CV finally went out, and he can't find anyone to rebuild it, or anywhere to buy one for a descent price. He wanted me to post since his computer is down. I know absolutely nothing about CV's or suspension work so I could't really tell you his exact problem, but he mentioned things like CV axle and CV joints. He is trying to get his VX running good again before it snows so quick responses will be very appreciated! Remember he has a 3" suspension and 3" body lift. Any info or questions are good, I can just give him a call to get the answers to the questions and whatnot. And if your the champ of replacing CV's I can just give him your number and have him call you or whatever works.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!
    Last edited by AlaskaVX : 10/28/2003 at 11:37 AM
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

what is teh problem? did he just tear the boot or is the joint popping? if it's popping he can still safely drive it - just needs to get it into the shop asap. if it's just the boot (an honest mechanic -- i know... oxymoron -- can tell u if the joint is fine), that can be replaced for around $100 (trust me, just did it with my camry). he'll need an alignment afterwards, but it's really not THAT big a deal. in fact, if he's slightly mechanically inclined he can change it himself. if the CV joint is bad, then they have to replace that side of the halfshaft (shorter end or longer end depending on which side it's on)... i believe the left side is the shorter of the two, or at least it is on "yo's"... if that's the case, more like $200ish, but also something he can do on his own.

speaking of CV boots & joints... i was just under there checking mine over the weekend... is there anything out there to protect your joint other than just the rubber CV boot? maybe a 2-piece aluminum (or aluminium for u brits) enclosure that fits around it and attaches to itself? reason being, unless you check under your truck relatively often, there's no way to know you tore a boot until your CV joint starts popping when you turn, and by then it's usually too late! Looks like a $20 preventative fix to save you $200 in the long run.... do the math.

what can i say, i like to drive over fallen trees........... Isabel was a field day
    Do they ever stop looking?

OK now I understand more, he needs an entire CV axle (comes out of transfer case), or all the parts to rebuild one. No one here in town can find part numers for any of the seals, bearings, pins, etc. to rebuild it. His boots are torn. I guess the TOD really makes it pop while accelerating. He would also like to know which wire is the TOD wire so he can hook a switch to it (I will start searching for that).
    Thanks again!

Light blue wire from pin #4 right? Anything else besides just adding the switch?

He could try contacting [http://www.allhyundaiisuzuparts.com] in Cal. . They have 2 or 3 VX's.

Boot Protection

After cleaning the boot, try spraying the with silicone...

2001, Silver, Vehicross, Supercharged, 0492, Sold 3/20/2012
    The light blue wire has a line of silver dots. There is only ONE light blue wire.
    If you add unlocking hubs from Warn or Superwinch, then the front end will not turn or be turned.
    Roy

Thumbs up

Alright he found what he needed at a junkyard in Rhode Island, so thanks for all the help! He snipped the TOD wire and now that seems to have solved the problem for the meantime!

This forum RULES!!!!!!!!!!!! Boarzhead said to thank everyone for the help!

OK one more time; We are running out of salvaged VXs.

I destroyed a CV joint (Driver side) & had the CV rebuilt with new boots & bands for $85.60 out the door. Beautiful work. If yours goes out give them a call & you could UPS it out to them.

Precision CV Axle
    1923 HWY 50 East
    Carson City, NV 89701
    775 885 9209

Dragon Bob
    Neither ordinary or extraordinary, just indefatigable.

2000 VX Green Dragon- Chick Demagnitizer-Supercharger-Injen Intake- Cold air box-K&N- Power Vault SS Exhaust-265-75-16 BFG MT kms-On Board CO2- Custom Boulder Bars- Custom Skid plates- PIAA 520 Fog Lites-3inch lift with OME 912 Springs-LINE X Bedliner on Cladding & Hood Insert-ARB Front Lockers & Custom Bull Bar. Vintage Offenhauser Hood scoop Thule Rack. XM Radio-Custom Storage Box-First VX to surmount the RUBICON.Thanks Sierra Stompers

THANKS A BUNCH BOB!!!!!

Drop the front axle housing 1/2 as many inches as you lift it ....and the CV's last WAY longer (esp. w/ball joint flip)

There are some pics of DROP BRACKETS I made, in my gallery.

Allan