Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Should I be afraid?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Should I be afraid?

A few months ago, I remember seeing this 2 door SUV on the road, and I remember asking myself, what was that? It's so pretty. After some research, I found out it was one of these, the vehicross.

I've been looking to get rid of my car and get an suv ( dont like trucks), so I can attach a small trailer to it to haul my bike around if I need to. And I must say, this isuzu has got to be the coolest SUV around.

There aren't many of them left it seems, as they were a limited production to begin with. The only ones I can find are pretty high milage, and I'm wondering how these things hold up to high miles as the years progress.

Also, most of them seem to be in the snow states, do these cars rust easily?

Exciting times indeed.
    Last edited by Killawattz : 03/31/2013 at 03:47 AM

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by Killawattz View Post
    There aren't many of them left it seems, as they were a limited production to begin with. The only ones I can find are pretty high milage, and I'm wondering how these things hold up to high miles as the years progress.

Also, most of them seem to be in the snow states, do these cars rust easily?
    Good question and the answer is debatable. Overall, the Vehicross uses high quality parts that hold up over the years. Pretty much every VX burns oil which requires frequent oil level checks and refills. If you're someone who doesn't mind opening the hood weekly and occasionally turning a wrench, a VX can be reliable for a long time. We have a member who got his VX up to ~285,000 miles before suffering engine problems. If you find a VX that you're interested in buying, VX Kat put together a checklist that goes through all of the common issues.

I've seen some rusty VXes from the mid west/east coast... but doesn't everything rust out there?? Shouldn't be a problem from the dryer states but make sure to check the undercarriage on any VX you buy.

Additionally, you have to like constant attention. Just last night, unlocking my doors startled a couple who was inspecting my VX. That never gets old.

Good luck with the decision.

X2...lazy this morning
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    Good question and the answer is debatable. Overall, the Vehicross uses high quality parts that hold up over the years. Pretty much every VX burns oil which requires frequent oil level checks and refills. If you're someone who doesn't mind opening the hood weekly and occasionally turning a wrench, a VX can be reliable for a long time. We have a member who got his VX up to ~285,000 miles before suffering engine problems. If you find a VX that you're interested in buying, VX Kat put together a checklist that goes through all of the common issues.

I've seen some rusty VXes from the mid west/east coast... but doesn't everything rust out there?? Shouldn't be a problem from the dryer states but make sure to check the undercarriage on any VX you buy.

Additionally, you have to like constant attention. Just last night, unlocking my doors startled a couple who was inspecting my VX. That never gets old.

Good luck with the decision.
    I rather enjoy turning wrenches honestly. I will see if I can't find that check list. Also, I had an rx8 a while back, nothing burns more oil than that car did.

Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by Killawattz : 03/31/2013 at 08:26 AM

After reading for hours, many reviews, etc. This seems like a pretty solid vehicle. As soon as I get back to the states, hopefully I'll be able to find one that's still in one piece.

However, after searching I can't seem to find that checklist. Would any of you happen to have it bookmarked?

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    and if you're really neurotic..here's the greatly expanded version of the questionnaire: Of course pick and choose what info you may want,as it'll probably intimidate or tick off a seller if you ask all these..LOL
    but they're all pertinent and most are very specific to the VX.
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...9&postcount=10
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Once you get it, let me know if you want to hit the trails
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Thanks for the info everyone.

The VX does not burn oil, per se. It uses oil via vacuum issues pushing oil into the plenum via the PCV. Just to correct the dialog.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksambo View Post
    The VX does not burn oil, per se. It uses oil via vacuum issues pushing oil into the plenum via the PCV. Just to correct the dialog.
    I thought that it burned oil from the #6 cylinder not getting enough lube, therefore getting hotter than the others and burning the oil. The newer revised 3.5L engines have that problem fixed.

I thought that it burned oil from the #6 cylinder not getting enough lube, therefore getting hotter than the others and burning the oil. The newer revised 3.5L engines have that problem fixed.

This interpretation is not really correct. The lower piston ring drain holes become clooged with use, turning the pistons into vacuum pumps pushing hot oil gases into the PCV region, then to the plenum, whereupon those hot gases are released into the environment.

I ran mine with the pcv disconnected from the intake, just put air filters over the ends of the hoses and plugged the ports that they attached to.

My Vx still had oil disappearing. Air filters showed now sings of excessive amounts of oil being lost.

Just saying

Quote Originally Posted by tjh View Post
    I ran mine with the pcv disconnected from the intake, just put air filters over the ends of the hoses and plugged the ports that they attached to.

My Vx still had oil disappearing. Air filters showed now sings of excessive amounts of oil being lost.

Just saying
    By opening the PCV system you change the vacuum dynamics which helps to draw the oil to the plenum. Instead, your oil went the other way out.

Don't be afraid it's still a fun car.