Thread: Should I be afraid?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Don't be afraid it's still a fun car.

As far as "maintenance issues", it is (as in MOST "used" vehicles) also a matter of the treatment the vehicle has received by previous owner(s); as well as "the luck of the draw" on original build quality of each unit. In the example of mine, it's a 2001, NEVER off-roaded, 1 owner garage-kept high desert SoCal vehicle until 2009, w/58K miles when I bought it. Still had its original battery, which I replaced w/a Sears Die Hard Platinum just because I was SCARED of a 9 year old battery, LOL. Since then I have put 38K miles on it - other than oil/filter changes every 5K miles (adding 28 ounces of oil in-between EACH oil change; that amount has been COMPLETELY consistent in the four years and 8 oil changes it's had) and a set of tires when I bought it, the ONLY other maintenance has been a new serpentine belt, changing the fluid in the front and rear differentials/x-fer case, and a 25 minute re-adjustment of the driver's side power window - that's IT! I've owned ~30 vehicles in my 57 years - this Vehicross has been THE most maintenance-free vehicle I've owned YET, hands-down! And yes, there have been about a dozen brand new vehicles in that mix too, both foreign and domestic.

Finding "the right Vehicross" is like finding the right spouse - do your due diligence to the Nth degree, take your time, get the BEST one that YOU can given the "resources" that YOU have - then, if you land up getting a REALLY good one, do NOT let go!