Thread: Vicki's Engine Tear Down

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    '01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    Well there it is Mark, kinda looks like what we discussed in your original thread on the subject. Excessive carbon buildup due to a possible misfire condition causing stuck rings and/or valves. That burnt exhaust valve was most likely caused by the increase of compression in that cylinder due to the carbon buildup...increase in compression causes an increase in exhaust gas temps that in turn burns the exhaust valve. That engine looks to be an excellent candidate for a ring and valve job for another 150,000 miles. Good investigative work there Watson!! You might want to consider having it done and sell it as a fresh rebuild or sell it as a rebuildable core and recoup some of your expenses...
    Vixer Fixer

jhigareda, I don't know how much a rebuild would be yet. I do plan on calling a few places to see what it would cost to get the engine back to perfect.

Scott, I was really surprised that just one burnt valve would cause the cylinder to completely lose compression. I mean there was ZERO pressure in that cylinder during all the tests that I had done on it. I haven't had a chance to really get into it yet, but that burnt valve must really be wonky if it's not seating to the head at all.

So, with Scott's comment about the excessive carbon build up possibly causing increased compression/ exhaust gas temperatures, my question is; how do we get rid of the carbon build up in the cylinders without completely tearing the engine down to scrape it off of the pistons? I ran some sea foam through the motor, a few months before replacing it, but obviously that didn't do anything. Did I do the Sea Foam too late? In other words was the carbon already "bonded" to the pistons and wasn't coming off no matter what I did?

As I get deeper into the engine I'll report back on the condition of the rings and whether they were gunked up with carbon too causing them to stick.

If it's not too expensive I do plan on having the engine rebuilt, but I haven't decided what I would want to do with it yet. I would hate to sell Vicki's original heart, but recouping some of the replacement engine expenses would sure be nice.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless