Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Replacement Axle Assemblies from SurTrack.....

Ryan, thanks for the heads up. So it sounds like you don't actually have to get into the center pumpkin (diff) to get the whole axle assembly out. I've got no problem taking my time and getting dirty so this will be a "fun" weekend project.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

X2 on Ryan. Remember, you don't have to break the Pitman arm loose, you can wiggle it out. I think that was the hardest thing to do the first I time I pulled it down to do the locker. The second time I did it, when I did the diff drop brackets, much easier, leave the steering alone. You will have to lower one side, then turn the wheel to the other direction and voila, problem solved! Have fun, it isn't a terrible job except not messing up the wheel seals. I screwed mine up, didn't prelube them, now I have a tiny gear oil leak, but not eenough to make me take it apart...lol. I would recommend some gear oil stable RTV.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

OK, got the SurTrack axles have been delivered and are sitting in the garage ready to go. I have axle bearings and axle seals on order and they will hopefully get here in the next week, or so. I'll pick up some gear oil and additive (which I can't remember what it is called right now) to replace any that may leak out during the axle swap. I plan on re-packing my front bearings while I'm at it so I'll get a couple of tubes of grease and some new seals for those.

Is there anything that I am missing? Do I need any kind of special tool? I already have a seal puller and access to a press to get the new bearing on the new axles (if that is necessary). Just want to make sure that I have everything lined out an ready to go before I start pulling things off the VX.

Thanks y'all!!

Chris, you mentioned that you do NOT have to remove the pitman arm, but you do need to wiggle it out of the way. HUH? I'm guessing that once the lower ball joint is disconnected from the lower A-arm and maybe once the axle is loosened from the housing that there will be enough room to move things around without disconnecting the pitman arm?

Also, what is the purpose of turning the wheels? Does that give you enough room to slip the axle out of the front hubs?

I'm sure that I'll figure this out as I go, but I like to get a complete picture in my head before I dive into anything like this.

I'll try to remember to take pictures as I go so that others will benefit.

Don't forget to check and repack the needle roller bearing that goes inside the hub and runs on the outer CV shaft.

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

Good call PK. I'll be sure to do that.

To tell you the truth I didn't even know that those were there, but logically there needs to be something there for the shaft to spin in.

This repair should be "fun".

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Let me know when you're going to do this Mark.

I would like to come and be your helper and learn if it works out...
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Earl, I'll probably be starting on this mid-morning on Saturday, March 29th. I'll be hitting all of the pertinent bolts with PB Blaster on Friday night, but there may still be some cussing, screaming and general grouchy-ness as things unfold. I have the following week off, so I won't be in any rush to get it done quickly, but I do want to get it done right.

You, and anyone else who wants to, is welcome to come on by to watch/help the festivities. My garage isn't that big so it might get crowded, but it could be fun. I totally plan on taking copious amounts of pictures to document the whole swap so if you don't want to drive the three and some odd hours you can wait for the book.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Thanks Mark.

I'll be in Houston that weekend at the Sport Clips national franchise meeting so I'm out...

Look forward to the How To.

Did anybody know that our axle bearings are NOT pressed onto the axles? Who knew!?

Just took a look at the extra axle that I have so I could get a feel for what I will be up against when I do the axle swap. I was worried that I would need a press to get the new bearings on the new axles, but both the axle seal and the bearing are each held on by a snap ring that seats into a groove in the axle. SUPER COOL! That's going to make axle removal and replacement a lot easier than I thought (knock on wood).

I'll take pictures of the swap for anyone who cares.

Good to know.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Yes the front axle seals are easy to replace. The rears however require heating and a press.

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    I'll take pictures of the swap for anyone who cares.

This would be a great help!!! Please take detailed pictures of each step along the way.

Just going on the record that I bought the SurTrack IZ-8021 CV Axle Shaft from Amazon for both sides and they fit great! With no issues at all!.... Thanks for the info on this site. I will be making a donation on payday since the info on this sight seems to pay off in a way that no other has. -- Thanks everyone for contributing!!

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Kudos to ya....

Quote Originally Posted by VehiTONY View Post
    Thanks for the info on this site. I will be making a donation on payday since the info on this sight seems to pay off in a way that no other has. -- Thanks everyone for contributing!!
    ..... helping to keep this great site up and running is the best
    money you'll ever spend on your VX IMO

I know its saved me LOADS of $$'s !

Jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]