Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bought a VX nitemare. Mistake. Help.

Bought a VX nitemare. Mistake. Help.

Found a VX in OK. I'm in TX. I talked it out with the guy, hired a mechanic made a deal. Flew a Cessna 172 up with my bud to get it. The drive back is where the problem were found. KBB 5700, bought 6000, mechanic said everything was perfect. This is what it's doing.
    Major
    -loose bearing in the front during deceleration
    -popping when TOD tried to put torque up there
    -front wheels don't engage
    - pops louder in turns
    -engine lifter problems? Can't tell but it's a rpm driven tick
    -exhaust leak

Structural
    -calmini lift with no drop diff
    -tires rub on the big plastic molding( ball joint flip for that?)

Minor
    -stereo is busted
    -blown speakers
    -both windows fall forward when rolling up

I need a pro to give me a little game plan on those items. Thus far I was thinking, ball joint flip with spacers, then alignment shop, they can help me diagnose the front diff problems, then front diff, install new gears(is the pumkin gear the one that needs to be installed for new gears for big tires anyway?). Thanks for reading, thanks to the ******* who ripped me off, **** you mechanic who put his shops reputation on the line lieing to me about a damn car.

Just about everything you have mentioned is something fairly well known with the VX. Not to pull a Dub , but the search function will be your date for the day as many of these have some good, extensive threads already. Would love to help out with the search/links, but I just got to work and need some coffee....

Happy hunting!
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Nothing that you describe sounds too terrible and most of it should be an easy fix, depending on what you find as you really get into it. See below....

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnybin View Post
    Found a VX in OK. I'm in TX. I talked it out with the guy, hired a mechanic made a deal. Flew a Cessna 172 up with my bud to get it. The drive back is where the problem were found. KBB 5700, bought 6000, mechanic said everything was perfect. This is what it's doing.
    Major
    -loose bearing in the front during deceleration
    Bearings are fairly easy to repack/replace (I've done repacked mine twice now) Kenny (member here) did a pretty good write up that I followed for both my repacks: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...front+bearings
    -popping when TOD tried to put torque up there
    This one could be as simple as needing to replace the CV's or as bad as the third member being wonky, won't really know until you get in it. If the CV boots are torn then the CV joints have likely gone dry and could be damaged. Just crawl under the front end and take a look at the boots. Let us know what you find. Another member here (JoFotoz) has found some replacement axles for the VX: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...threadid=24109 Again, relatively easy to replace and should be done when you're under there replacing/repacking the bearings.
    -front wheels don't engage
    This one's a little tougher. Could be something in the transfer case, or maybe the splines on the front axles are stripped and they may need to be replaced. Again, can't really tell until you get into it.
    - pops louder in turns
    Sounds like the CV joints are bad - see above.
    -engine lifter problems? Can't tell but it's a rpm driven tick
    Our engines are notoriously loud and sound like rabid sewing machines sometimes. Might just be the normal sound of the engine. We really don't have lifters in our engines. The valve is a self contained thing. I just took the heads off of my old motor and would be happy to send you pictures of it so you can see what is going on in there without having to tear yours down. The noise could also be a timing belt tensioner going out. Some have reported a knocking sound when theirs was going out. Do you know if the timing belt has been changed?
    -exhaust leak

Structural
    -calmini lift with no drop diff
    Diff drop isn't manditory, but it does ease the angle on the CV joints and helps them to last longer. This fact could explain all of the noise up front, meaning that your CV's could be shot. I've been lifted for years now with no diff drop or ball joint flip and I haven't had any issues.
    -tires rub on the big plastic molding( ball joint flip for that?)
    If you have a lift and over sized tires it could be just as simple as needing to trim the cladding. There is a little "point" of plastic at the front of the front wheel well that most of us have to trim off in order to get our over sized tires to fit. Look at the fifth picture from the top in this post: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...+cladding+trim There isn't a reference picture (I know Sue has one somewhere), but if you compare it to yours you might see that your cladding comes to a point right in front of the front tire whereas Sue's does not anymore.

Minor
    -stereo is busted
    -blown speakers
    -both windows fall forward when rolling up
    This is a pretty typical problem with our VX's. A member here makes a kit to help alleviate this problem, but as a simple fix you can get into the door and pry the front window track wider so the window doesn't bind in it as much. You can also spray some dry silicone lube in the front track to help the window slid up and down better.

I need a pro to give me a little game plan on those items. Thus far I was thinking, ball joint flip with spacers, then alignment shop, they can help me diagnose the front diff problems, then front diff, install new gears(is the pumkin gear the one that needs to be installed for new gears for big tires anyway?). Thanks for reading, thanks to the ******* who ripped me off, **** you mechanic who put his shops reputation on the line lieing to me about a damn car.
    Hope some of this helps.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Here's the cladding trim piece pics: Tires are 285/60-18s.

VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Just a possible issue regarding the TOD
    Are all 4 tires the same size, model, treadwear and PSI?
    Our TOD has been known to make all kinds of horrible noises if the 4 tires aren't all basically the same. Particularly the amount of treadwear (i.e. the circumference).

And like Mark and wormgod said, there's many known issues with this truck, and much detailed info right here about each issue. And many, many helpful peeps too!

I know it's after the fact, but we created a Buyer/Seller Questionnaire that kind of focused on several key known areas/issues with this truck. Maybe looking over this would give you some background. http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...9&postcount=10

x2 on the tick, its normal...so to speak. Valves tick often, and quite common for header leak as well, mine has been ticking for 4+ years, 40K miles, no problems.
    They make lots of pops and creaks too As for TOD issues, it could also be a dirty sensor, I got mud up all in there, on turns, it went crazy, hosed it out, no problems after that.
    Stero is no biggie, OEM speakers and radio are not that great anyway, as they are OLD.
    Have fun, and enjoy the work getting to know your truck, unless you have deep pockets to pay a mechanic to do it.

PS-you can run 34s or 35s without too much lag, I did not regear, but it would be nice if I did, but not worth the $$$$ for me.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

The popping and clicking in the front end is probably your CV Axles. My inner CV Driver Side was bad and it was an awful pop and click in every turn, bad when TOD put power to the front and I also have no Diff Drop with a 3'' lift.
    Factory speakers are awful and I'm not surprised they are blown.
    Windows always stick in the front when going up, nothing some Silicone lube spray can't fix.

I paid $7K for mine in arguably worse shape than yours...

It's a labor of love. I've been restoring it back to it's former glory for the past two years. Will I ever get my money out of it? Most likely not. But I drive something incredibly rare and unique and it is worth the extra effort to me. Hang in there. As others have posted, most of the issues you mention are discussed here in some detail. This site has been my bible for sorting my beloved Kaiser, and the community here has been a tremendous help.

On the other hand, if you expect turn-key perfection and are not prepared to spend some money and/or time in the garage wrenching on her to keep her going, I would say walk away now and cut your losses. Or be prepared to spend A LOT more money for one in pristine condition IF you can find one. At this age, most of the VXs out there have some personality and require some TLC.

Mine also made an awful noise when I drove her for the first time. As soon as I replaced all four tires, the sound went away and I learned that tire wear is extremely important on this vehicle for proper TOD readings. There is a thread on that here somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    I paid $7K for mine in arguably worse shape than yours...

It's a labor of love. I've been restoring it back to it's former glory for the past two years. Will I ever get my money out of it? Most likely not. But I drive something incredibly rare and unique and it is worth the extra effort to me. Hang in there. As others have posted, most of the issues you mention are discussed here in some detail. This site has been my bible for sorting my beloved Kaiser, and the community here has been a tremendous help.

On the other hand, if you expect turn-key perfection and are not prepared to spend some money and/or time in the garage wrenching on her to keep her going, I would say walk away now and cut your losses. Or be prepared to spend A LOT more money for one in pristine condition IF you can find one. At this age, most of the VXs out there have some personality and require some TLC.

Mine also made an awful noise when I drove her for the first time. As soon as I replaced all four tires, the sound went away and I learned that tire wear is extremely important on this vehicle for proper TOD readings. There is a thread on that here somewhere.
    Same with me. Paid 7500 and much more on repairs than the vehicle is worth by now but I do it because i love it and I intend on having it until I keel over. As Said here, tires play a huge role.
    I am taking mine in this week to spend nearly 1500 on repairs. It's Just what we do

Paid $6000 for our 2001 Kaiser with 144K. Line-Xed the cladding $600. Reupholstery $800. Tires, axles, hoses, gaskets, etc. $1000 and counting. Value to US? Priceless. For everyone else, there's a Jeep. For me, there's Elvira the VehiCross.
    I've got Elvira the VehiCross, For everyone else, there's a Jeep.

Good lord, thanks to all that replied. I feel much much better about what I've gotten myself into and I'm so glad you are all optimistic for me. I've been driving to PT in the morning(military) and it was just destroying my chi. A special thanks to those mechanic responses up there, ill be reading intensely tonight. As far as those bad engine noises go I'd like to shoot some video or audio of it and see what the consensus is.

Every Isuzu I've ever owned sounds like it has marbles in it when it's cold.

Hmmm, the 3.2 DOHC sounds fine, my wife's was running on 5 cylinders for the last two years, had a off canter chug to it, but not terribly noisy. Now that its fixed, no more funny sounds, except the squealing belt from the AC bearing going bad...but that is a whole separate issue

Put a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil in the crankcase and watch the ticking go away.

I had poping and grinding sounds from the front dif. i did a chang of front dif. oil and it went away..i was scared ..but the old wet oil went bad..didnt lub it enough.. now im happy ...try it .do a search on all your problems ...and welcome to the insanity..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...