Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any Ideas?

Any Ideas?

I have developed a strong vibration which begins very softly at 40mph and gets progressively stronger the faster I go. Shakes the whole car and feels as if it may be central to rear located.

I had both front axles inner and outer replaced to see if that helped at all and they both needed done anyway. Both front bearings are brand new. Tires are oversized at 33" but have been balanced and don't seem to be the issue. I'm really struggling to even guess what it may be since I haven done any rough driving on it in the past few months. It started kind of out of no where.

Help Please!!

To add it does not move or vibrate the steering wheel at all, all from under.

even if your tires have been balanced i would double check. Try rotating the tires and see if that moves the vibration to the steering wheel. Wheel weights fall off all the time.

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Drive shaft unbalanced/bent?
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Busted U-joint?

Yeah...I'd be looking at the rear driveshaft u-joints.
    2001 Ebony VX and 1989 Custom 383 Corvette

Yeah I was wondering if it was U-Joints or the driveshaft as well. Anyone else experienced these problems before? Rear bearings maybe? I'm bad with the drivetrain parts, I prefer to work under the hood.

Just to eliminate one aspect of the drive shaft; just crawl under the VX and grab the drive shaft and see if you can twist it. If there is some play in it then look at the front and rear u-joints to see if you can see where the play is happening. That will be the down and dirty, super easy way to tell if it's one of the u-joints. If there isn't any, or not much, play in the drive shaft then grease the zerk fittings (or have them greased). Doing this has eliminated many members drive line noises (for a while at least). There is a zerk fitting on each of the u-joints and one in the middle of the drive shaft at the slip joint.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    Just to eliminate one aspect of the drive shaft; just crawl under the VX and grab the drive shaft and see if you can twist it. If there is some play in it then look at the front and rear u-joints to see if you can see where the play is happening. That will be the down and dirty, super easy way to tell if it's one of the u-joints. If there isn't any, or not much, play in the drive shaft then grease the zerk fittings (or have them greased). Doing this has eliminated many members drive line noises (for a while at least). There is a zerk fitting on each of the u-joints and one in the middle of the drive shaft at the slip joint.
    I'll try that as soon as I get out of class! haha (College student)

What are you doing checking .info posts in the middle of class?

PAY ATTENTION!!

Must be a boring class.

Quote Originally Posted by UWVX89 View Post
    Yeah I was wondering if it was U-Joints or the driveshaft as well. Anyone else experienced these problems before?
    I once something on a Toyota Tacoma causing some noise that sounded kind of serious to me. I was something of a 4x4 novice at the time (not that I'm an expert now by any means), but it sounded bad enough to me that I actually took it to a Toyota dealership to have it diagnosed. It turned out to be something of a forehead slapper when they told me all they'd needed to do was lube the u-joints and the slip-joint/sleeve yoke on the driveshaft, but it's something I've kept in mind ever since.

So yeah, along with the u-joints on the ends, be sure to also lube the sleeve yoke on the driveshaft.

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    I once something on a Toyota Tacoma causing some noise that sounded kind of serious to me. I was something of a 4x4 novice at the time (not that I'm an expert now by any means), but it sounded bad enough to me that I actually took it to a Toyota dealership to have it diagnosed. It turned out to be something of a forehead slapper when they told me all they'd needed to do was lube the u-joints and the slip-joint/sleeve yoke on the driveshaft, but it's something I've kept in mind ever since.

So yeah, along with the u-joints on the ends, be sure to also lube the sleeve yoke on the driveshaft.
    I shall take a look! I need to familiarize myself with the underside of the vehicle, all these scary moving parts haha

Quote Originally Posted by UWVX89 View Post
    I shall take a look! I need to familiarize myself with the underside of the vehicle, all these scary moving parts haha
    You don't have to get under there with the vehicle moving - you can check when it is stopped.

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

So I go under there and check all the shafts andU-Joints, no play and all seems well in that aspect. Any other Ideas?

Did you go ahead and lube all the grease fittings?