Thread: Mobil One

Mobil One

Had big plans today to have the Oil change on the VX. Over the past 7 years I have driven by one of those "Mobil One Instant Oil change" places, but today when I actually went there it had changed to "Valvoline". Before I got my diesel trucks I would use them (Valvoline) all the time. Haven't had to for about 6 years until today. Boy did I get a shock. $ 35.00 for "regular oil" $45.00 for "Blend" and $75.00 for Full synthetic. I have a $13.00 gallon of Rotella and a $3.50 filter. Guess I'll be doing it my self.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by RodL View Post
    Had big plans today to have the Oil change on the VX. Over the past 7 years I have driven by one of those "Mobil One Instant Oil change" places, but today when I actually went there it had changed to "Valvoline". Before I got my diesel trucks I would use them (Valvoline) all the time. Haven't had to for about 6 years until today. Boy did I get a shock. $ 35.00 for "regular oil" $45.00 for "Blend" and $75.00 for Full synthetic. I have a $13.00 gallon of Rotella and a $3.50 filter. Guess I'll be doing it my self.

Rod
    It's very easy to do the oil changes your self.
    Dakar was just the begining.

Quote Originally Posted by Gussie2000 View Post
    It's very easy to do the oil changes your self.
    I know, but I was spoiled when I was a teenager. Worked in a full service gas station and got used to using the "hoist" for any work under a vehicle. Currently am in an RV park and they sort of frown on "Auto Service " in the park. Was thinking I could wait for another couple months until I get "back home", but I like driving the VX too much. 3000 miles in the past month at that rate would be 9000 on an oil change that I didn't do. Will check a couple other places. Did pick up a filter though maybe do it by braille some evening after the "Management" goes to sleep.

Rod

Like Gussie said...super easy. Oil filter is right up front and easy to access. The VXs hight makes it easy to scoot under, drain and change the filter.
    Throw your drain pan under, crawl under for 2 minutes to pull the drain plug. Go do something else while it drains. Crawl back under, change filter and out plug back in...that will take maybe 5 minutes. Pop the hood and put fresh oil in. They will never know you were "mechanicing"
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Put in a Fumoto valve and you don't even need tools.

I do hope your're recycling that oil properly, and not back into the ground (where it DIDN'T come from.)
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I do hope your're recycling that oil properly, and not back into the ground (where it DIDN'T come from.)
    I work at an environmental consulting company, and one of the guys here has an article from Popular Mechanics in the early 1960s showing how to make a "drain" (basically a hole with gravel in it) in your backyard to pour your waste oil into.
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

Yes the old oil goes back in the empty oil bottle and is returned to the store or to a friend who heat's his shop with used oil in a special boiler.

Quote Originally Posted by RodL View Post
    Yes the old oil goes back in the empty oil bottle and is returned to the store or to a friend who heat's his shop with used oil in a special boiler.
    That is cool! or... warm, I guess...