Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: My turn for LineX

My turn for LineX

Just stopped by the new dealer a few miles from my house. We talked about doing the entire truck. If I remove all the plastic and wire wheel the herculiner off, he will do all of the plastic in black (mirrors, roof rails, luggage rack, cladding etc...) and the rest of the truck in a khaki or coyote brown for $2800. I asked how much for the premium lineX, he said that was! It included the kevlar upgrade as well as the UV protected stuff! Needless to say, the VX is going into the shop soon to get a makeover as well, after seeing SSsigs cladding, I was sold.
    He had some demo stuff out for me to play with, had a pop can with the regular lineX on it, you could bend it, but not much. Then he had the premium can. Ridiculous, I stood on it, it does not bend. He actually had removed the aluminum after it set to show how strong it is once it cures. He said, even if your truck rusts out under the lineX, once it sets, it holds that shape forever. Stuff is awesome! I told him I wanted it to be like the truck on Storm Chasers, he pulled out the calendar...lol. Yep, that one.
    I am stoked, no more washing, no more waxing, no more care about chips and rust. He said it would add between 50-100lbs in weight to the truck, nothing much that matters. Time to clear out the garage and get to work on removing the cladding

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

This guy is in Newport News I assume? I wonder how much he would charge for just the cladding. Did you happen to ask him?

Yes, he is on 17, just south of Ft Useless Blvd. I will ask him when I take the truck in.

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753
    Marlin, you may want to trim the edges of the cladding a little first so that clearance won't be an issue. My does hang up a little on the rear door and the passenger door. On the rear door it's at the lower left corner where the tail light and cladding meet. The passenger door is where it meets the fender cladding. I would take a good look at every location the cladding moves against another cladding piece and make sure you have adequate clearance prior to removal and spraying.

Thanks for the tip, I will trim them back a 1/4" or so all the way around. Hadn't thought of that.

How hard is it to remove the edges after the application? If it's not too hard it might be better to wait and fix only the problems you have.

They are encapsulated, so I wouldn't want to cut any material. The premium coat is a little over an 1/8" thick.

Can't wait to see some photos or for you to do a US tour, so we can all see it in person.

Rod

Well, next fall, I am trying to get orders to Washington again, that would mean ANOTHER cross country trek and a visit to Moab! If so, I will stop along the way as needed to visit We would roll through Dayton, OH, as well as KC, MO, and then up to Moab from there and then up through oregon/washington.

So Chris I was thinking about this thing you said about the premium coat:
    Then he had the premium can. Ridiculous, I stood on it, it does not bend. He actually had removed the aluminum after it set to show how strong it is once it cures. He said, even if your truck rusts out under the lineX, once it sets, it holds that shape forever.
    So for your "all over" application it's not a problem, but if you were to do only your cladding with the premium stuff would you be bending body panels rather than cladding when you hit things?

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    So Chris I was thinking about this thing you said about the premium coat:

So for your "all over" application it's not a problem, but if you were to do only your cladding with the premium stuff would you be bending body panels rather than cladding when you hit things?
    Maybe, I don't really see the issue though, under the door cladding is some tubing anyway, so LineX or no, it would bend the door panel. I think it would take some serious force, like a collision, so either way...as for the rest of the cladding, the front fenders are hollow, the rear fenders the same.
    Just don't hit anything

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Can't wait to see the pics.

Don't worry, I will post lots I yanked out the rest of the carpet today and all of the under foam and stuff. About 25% complete on the herculiner. Will be much easier to take care of this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Well, next fall, I am trying to get orders to Washington again, that would mean ANOTHER cross country trek and a visit to Moab! If so, I will stop along the way as needed to visit We would roll through Dayton, OH, as well as KC, MO, and then up to Moab from there and then up through oregon/washington.
    I'm 5 to 7 hours from KC during the summer months until early November. If you are going through give me pm and maybe I can see it in person.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by RodL View Post
    I'm 5 to 7 hours from KC during the summer months until early November. If you are going through give me pm and maybe I can see it in person.

Rod
    Kansas side or Missouri side? Tuttle Creek is fun and I would like to hit up KS Rocks.