Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: transfer case issues?

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753
    I read though and didn't see but may have missed it. Do we know exactly why a Trooper TOD won't work? Tranny is the same and these just bolt to the drive shafts so I don't get it.

I was told that, although the VX shares parts with both the Trooper and the Rodeo, the transfer case is not shared by either. Why? That I do not know. I was also told that they are no longer available, so the only 2 choices are to rebuild or find a used VehiCROSS transfer case.
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.

My VehiCROSS

The 4lo gearing is different in the VX and Trooper tcases I believe. Other than thaI think they are the same and interchangable.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Yep, which means other parts are interchangeable, or for those that don't wheel, 4low gearing from a Trooper would be just fine.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753
    I just looked through the Trooper and VX manuals and both the TOD transfer cases list:
    High - 1.000
    Low - 2.480

I think the difference comes in with the Trooper having 2H, 4H, and 4L modes and the VX only has 4H and 4L. The Trooper one uses a solenoid and shift levers to switch between 2H and 4H.

I had a conversation with Buffy with regards to 5 spd tranny and TOD and manual transfer cases. He said that he was going to use a manual T/C from an older Amigo or Rodeo if my memory serves. I don't recall the details so perhaps you can contact him on this. He said that it was a lower ratio also so would be better for crawling.
    There's no 'I' in denial.

:::update:::

I found out that the chain stretched so much that it was sawing away on the inside of my case. My mechanic is getting a sleeve for it from a company out of California... The sleve will be heliarced into the case to prevent leaks, and making it stronger as an added bonus. E.T.A. on complete repair is now Friday. Once I get my VX back I will be sure to post all information here.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnalVX View Post
    I found out that the chain stretched so much that it was sawing away on the inside of my case. My mechanic is getting a sleeve for it from a company out of California... The sleve will be heliarced into the case to prevent leaks, and making it stronger as an added bonus. E.T.A. on complete repair is now Friday. Once I get my VX back I will be sure to post all information here.
    please please please let me in on where you found replacement seals! i have called everywhere in the united states - i even talked to a rep from borg warner and he said no other seals will work not even out of another isuzu tcase - he said they did put two of the identical seals in the tcase on some ford trucks but the other seal (1 of 3) is an isuzu unique part - unfortunately isuzu north america told me that they sold their rights to make parts to gm in '07 - unfortunate for us gm never decided to actually make any of the part because there was no money in it... after making isuzu sign a contract that says that they cannot make any new ones either only sell what they have - if you find that last seal please let me know

this is from borg werner after i talked to him on the phone he emailed me:

Isuzu seal # 8971270400 can be purchased from a Ford Dealer. The Ford part number is F3TZ-7B215-A

Isuzu seal # 8971270410 is unique to Isuzu, but should be available from any authorized Isuzu Dealer.

all isuzu to gm parts - isuzu told me - are the isuzu part number with the first and last numbers dropped so if gm made it it would be part #97127041 - gm says they have no record of that part #

all three said there is no cross reference
    Last edited by evillecutter : 05/29/2013 at 06:13 AM

Thumbs up A.s.a.p.

I will post any and all info as soon as I get my VX back with all the info on the repairs.

Good news & bad news...

First, the good... I got the VX back today (what a treat to be driving it again), and the nocturnal VX is shifting smoother and running quieter than she has in a long time!

Now, the bad... $1400 more on plastic. and my mechanic did not give me all the info on the parts & sources because it was a very busy Friday.

I PROMISE to share all the info when I get it.

I really liked the 2door Wrangler I drove on vacation, but there is nothing that comes close to a VehiCROSS!

man... i hate reading these things.. now i think my trnsfers going.... when i put it into drive or reverse i heare a grinding and clacking noise. sometimes nothing, other times(specially after stippoing at a light) it sounds as if a rock was grinding on the floor boared ..... dohhhh

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnalVX View Post
    First, the good... I got the VX back today (what a treat to be driving it again), and the nocturnal VX is shifting smoother and running quieter than she has in a long time!

Now, the bad... $1400 more on plastic. and my mechanic did not give me all the info on the parts & sources because it was a very busy Friday.

I PROMISE to share all the info when I get it.

I really liked the 2door Wrangler I drove on vacation, but there is nothing that comes close to a VehiCROSS!

im really glad you got yours fixed with no problems other than the roundhouse kick to the wallet (actually that sounds like a fairly good deal for a rebuild) - please let me know part #'s and where to find on the seals when you can - very much appreciated

magical merlin strikes again! got my isuzu tcase seals yesterday and brought them to the driveline shop - the guys there are very cool and talked to me for about a half hour about the vx before i got out of there and they could start working on it - total price for rebuild with all new parts is less than $700 (plus my $70 seals)

all 5 gearheads in the shop at the time agreed that if they remade the vx today they would sell like hotcakes

asked them how a shop in chicago did a rebuild in two days without ordering the seals from japan and they said either they already had some in the shop (highly unlikely) or they reused the old ones which is a bad idea and they refuse to do that there

ok finally got the vx back and its driving great - apparently the guy i talked to before was only reading me the parts price list (which he thought was the total) and the owner who i talked to when i picked it up said he was sorry i was misinformed

total price: $1485.00

on the bright side this fixed the bump stop problem of when i come to stop and then let off the brakes as well as the clunk that came with downshifting from second to first

...and it turns without making any noise

me = happy
    my wallet = sad

This is listed as the "BEARING & SEAL OVERHAUL KIT" for our transfer case, wouldn't this include seals? This is readily available.

http://www.amazon.com/Timken-TRKFI19...words=TRKFI190

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...parttype,16049

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...137&cc=1373554

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    This is listed as the "BEARING & SEAL OVERHAUL KIT" for our transfer case, wouldn't this include seals? This is readily available.

http://www.amazon.com/Timken-TRKFI19...words=TRKFI190

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...parttype,16049

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...137&cc=1373554
    i asked the shop about these kits and they said one of these kits is what they ordered first and even if the seals would have been correct (which they were not) these replacement parts are junk and some shops might use them but they would not

i also needed a chain and clutches which were the expensive parts anyways and they are not included in these kits

in the end all of my parts came from isuzu