Thread: transfer case issues?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

transfer case issues?

i havent been on vxinfo in a while (family/work keeps me busy) but after lots of searching there does not seem to be a good thread on diagnosing and/or repairing transfer case problems (im sure ill be proven wrong) so i thought i would start something that might help someone in the future - i have been having troubles with my vx making odd noises and bucking like its in 4lo when taking normal turns - it gets worse the sharper the turn - sometimes to the point of a grinding noise - no check engine or check tod lights at all - changed the fluid in both pumpkins, transfer case, and trans but didnt help - well after everyone telling me its my cv joints or a bushing or something in the suspension or front end i finally took it to a couple of reputable local service shops - had 3 ase certified shops tell me it has to be the transfer case - all 3 shops also said they would not touch said transfer case with a 10 foot pole - so i found a shop the next town over that specialized in drivelines and does a lot of work on semis, monster trucks, and the occasional hardcore off road vehicles as well as service diffs and transmissions on any vehicle - after talking to one of the mechanics there the guy slid underneath the vx and says "doesn't seem like anything unusual - ill take it out, check it, and if its broke i'll fix it" that was 3 days ago - ill let you know how it goes...

anyone else with transfer case issues feel free to chime in and give whatever input they want - if mine gets fixed i will ask the mechanic what specifically went wrong and how i can try to prevent it from happening again - hopefully he will save the broken parts so i can take pics and post them
    Last edited by evillecutter : 04/23/2013 at 11:29 AM