Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: transfer case issues?

transfer case issues?

i havent been on vxinfo in a while (family/work keeps me busy) but after lots of searching there does not seem to be a good thread on diagnosing and/or repairing transfer case problems (im sure ill be proven wrong) so i thought i would start something that might help someone in the future - i have been having troubles with my vx making odd noises and bucking like its in 4lo when taking normal turns - it gets worse the sharper the turn - sometimes to the point of a grinding noise - no check engine or check tod lights at all - changed the fluid in both pumpkins, transfer case, and trans but didnt help - well after everyone telling me its my cv joints or a bushing or something in the suspension or front end i finally took it to a couple of reputable local service shops - had 3 ase certified shops tell me it has to be the transfer case - all 3 shops also said they would not touch said transfer case with a 10 foot pole - so i found a shop the next town over that specialized in drivelines and does a lot of work on semis, monster trucks, and the occasional hardcore off road vehicles as well as service diffs and transmissions on any vehicle - after talking to one of the mechanics there the guy slid underneath the vx and says "doesn't seem like anything unusual - ill take it out, check it, and if its broke i'll fix it" that was 3 days ago - ill let you know how it goes...

anyone else with transfer case issues feel free to chime in and give whatever input they want - if mine gets fixed i will ask the mechanic what specifically went wrong and how i can try to prevent it from happening again - hopefully he will save the broken parts so i can take pics and post them
    Last edited by evillecutter : 04/23/2013 at 11:29 AM

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753
    In case you need a replacement here is on somebody is selling in Colorado.
    http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/3693873276.html

says ad deleted by author but thanks anyways!

Damn, that was quick. I just viewed it before I posted. Doh!

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Are you 100% sure its not cladding/metal at front & rear of front wheel well...

...catching on tire?

I had this when I first went to 33's.

It felt like car was 'lifting up"..then dropping down....especially tight turns...

..and lots of grinding noises.

Just a thought..hope its right ....cause its a cheap fix !

Jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

He Reposted It

Here is that same one off CL reposted.

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/3761588150.html

I am actually in need of a transfer case. Mine is making all kinds of bad noises right now. When I put it in reverse it shakes and clatters so bad!

If you don't want that transfer case, can someone in that area go check it out for me?

i have no lift and stock tires - thought it was maybe a problem in the power steering gearbox but three different shops said it was not a problem in the front end or alignment - 4 days now at $60+/hour times 36+ hours its been there plus whatever parts is making me nervous - might have an excellent proton for sale soon

A fairly cheap alternative is to put locking hubs on your VX. It won't fix the source problem but it would make the VX driveable.

A couple of other no-cost things to try:

1. make sure the transfer case shifter is all the way in TOD. If it's partway between TOD and 4LO, some very wonky things can happen.

2. Take the VX to a large open dirt or gravel area. Put it in reverse & really punch the throttle (enough to make the tires spin). Try running a few tight figure 8's in reverse also. Then take her back onto asphault & check to see if the mechanical linkage has fully disengaged.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

got a call from the guys yesterday afternoon - said they got the transfer case out and all of the clutches are sheared off whatever that means - they found a dealership in louisville that has the parts now they are just waiting for them to get there - also said "apparently these things are kinda rare" - they seem like nice guys but im sure its gonna cost me a fortune

Quote Originally Posted by evillecutter View Post
    ... all of the clutches are sheared off ... but im sure its gonna cost me a fortune
    Sorry to hear that. Hope it all works out OK though. BOL.

BTW, mebbe it is time for locking hubs though to make those new clutches last longer.

i never quite got what the purpose of locking hubs were and exactly what they do could you explain in layman's terms for me please

They disconnect each front wheel from the driveline. It just takes a 1 (360 deg) turn of the thumbwheel at each front tire to either lock or unlock the hubs. Theoretically, with the hubs unlocked I could run in 4L (without drive going to the front wheels) on pavement without trashing the transfer case.

I've been running WARN hubs for a couple of years now ... beautimous! I didn't install them to improve fuel mileage but some people say that it helps. I installed them so that I could tow the VX 4 down behind the RV (also installed a quick disconnect on the driveshaft for same reason). Travelin2 had a write up thread on it a few years ago. I bought his set up when he traded his VX in.

BTW, the WARN hubs require a full turn to engage, other brands may only require a 1/4 turn or something. You should be able to pick up a set from a Trooper at a boneyard.

Tom

so if i install locking hubs i would not have tod? and then if i wanted 4lo or tod i would have to get out and manually unlock them? (or have an air system to do it form inside?) would i just need locking hubs for the front? they look like they replace our centercaps do you have to leave them off? i know i know twenty questions but im a noob to this thanks for the help

also, couldnt someone come and lock or unlock your hubs withoug you knowing - like in a parking lot or something? do they make locks for the locks?

and if you have them locked out and get stuck and cant move the wheels an entire rotation you would basically be stuck with no 4wd correct?
    Last edited by evillecutter : 04/25/2013 at 09:01 AM

Quote Originally Posted by evillecutter View Post
    so if i install locking hubs i would not have tod?

Yah, you still have TOD ... if you leave the hubs locked. Basically just leave them unlocked for the urban crawling but lock them if you'll be driving in conditions that may cause slip. In my old Samurai, I would lock the hubs before I left the house if there was snow on the ground & I could shift from 2H to 4H on the fly (still had to stop if I needed to shift into 4L though).

and then if i wanted 4lo or tod i would have to get out and manually unlock them? (or have an air system to do it form inside?)

yes

would i just need locking hubs for the front?

yes

they look like they replace our centercaps do you have to leave them off?

yes, the center caps (as well as the metal slug underneath) are replaced by the locking hub. You can always switch back if you don't like them & find someone else on the forum who'll buy them.

There are pics in my gallery of them installed on my VX. I think I did a write up on installation too - should only take about 30 min.

i know i know twenty questions but im a noob to this thanks for the help

also, couldnt someone come and lock or unlock your hubs withoug you knowing - like in a parking lot or something?

Yup (It's only happened to me once though & it doesn't hurt anything if they do)

do they make locks for the locks?

Nope

and if you have them locked out and get stuck and cant move the wheels an entire rotation you would basically be stuck with no 4wd correct?

There's always a chance that you could be cruising down a dirt road (not needing 4WD so you don't have the hubs locked in) & accidentally slide off of the trail into a tadpole pond (right Eric???). The point is that when the hubs are locked in, the VX operates just like it did from the factory. When you unlock the hubs, there's no drive to the front wheels. So ... lock in the hubs if you are leaving pavement & leave them unlocked the rest of the time.
    Dang son, I ain't never seen anyone quite so good at threadjacking their own dang thread!!!