I keep going to back to this being the best engine for VX V8 swap... Why is it better than others?

1. It has "GM Metric" bell housing bolt pattern, so it is a direct bolt up to the VX transmission.
2. It is CHEAP! The cheapest LS family engine you can get ($900-$1200)! Since it does not bolt up to the usual RWD GM transmissions, it isn't sought after by the "engine swap enthusiasts" who can't get enough LS(x) engines for swaps into just about EVERYTHING!
3. It has lower profile accessory drive/belt, which should be better suited for VX's engine bay (originally designed for a shorter V6).

Problems:
1. No one (to the best of my knowledge), had done this swap into VX
2. The block has no provisions for the starter (it is meant to be mounted on the transmission), so stock VX transmission will have to be modified to accept a starter (not a HUGE deal, assuming that we have clearance in the firewall/tranny tunnel area).
3. "Weakness" of VX transmission. I specifically want to STAY AWAY from this issue in this thread! I would like to get myself a 400hp VX and THEN I will deal with the transmission inadequacies. There are many methods of straightening automatic transmission, including replacing it with a 5sp .

I also found that Fiero guys also seem to like this engine:
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/A...-2-113207.html

Using his method, we can adapt a starter to a VX tranny:

But my first question, do we have enough clearance for the starter mounted above the tranny? If not, what resides on the inside? Can we intrude into the passenger compartment, without interfering with something critical?