Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
...after changing said hoses what is the procedure for bleeding the system?
Billy,

If I understand the system correctly, you don't need to bleed it after changing the hoses. Since it's a hydraulic pump system, the air will work it's way up into the reservoir fairly quickly. You'll just need to keep an eye on the fluid level the first day to make sure that there is enough fluid to take the place of the air that escapes. Then keep an eye on the entire system (hoses, pump, reservoir, connections) for a few weeks to make sure there aren't any leaks.

It's not like the brakes where you basically have a closed system (even though it has a reservoir too). In that system you keep using the same small amount of brake fluid over and over again. In the power steering case, all/most of the fluid gets used all the time. That's why the 2 fluids are different, one is designed for circulation & one is designed for compression.

In simple terms, the braking system most closely resembles a floor jack, while the power steering system more closely resembles an automatic transmission (at least in terms of how the fluid is used).

I thought I was wrong once but that was a mistake ... but I'm open for someone to convince me for the first time.