Thread: Water our worst enemy.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wrench Water our worst enemy.

Ok so It's been a while since I have opened a thread here.
    This is the first time I have problems with my VX other than the window problems.
    Water seemed to be the problem then everything was fine.

So a couple of weeks ago I went to a night offorading expedition with a group of jeeps. Everything was fine. We went upstream inside a pretty shallow river, then came a big hole that I got dragged into and could not get out.
    HEre is the Pic

Passenger side was inside the water, drivers side was somewhat inside the water but not as much. Water was getting inside the car but no big deal. Tried reversing and accelerating to get out but couldnt. Checked my dashboard, Check Engine light was on, ABS light was on and TOD check light was on. My friend pulled me out, we kept going on the trail with no problems other than the warning lights on, I thought it could be wet sensors.

About half an hour later, ABS light and Check engine light turned off, I was relieved since I checked the Air Filter and it was dry and also checked the alternator and it was perfectly dry.
    TOD light was still on but It seemed to work perfectly fine in 4L and 4H So I didnt worry much.

Then a couple of miles in the trail I notice the engine accelerating everytime I pressed the brake pedal. If I was in Drive and I pressed the brake pedal to the point where the Shift lever lock was disengaged the car would accelerate so I had to press it harder so I would stop. Same thing wouldhappen in Neutral and in Parking, engine would rev up to about 2000 RPM.
    Then I noticed that everytime I turned the lights off same thing happened which made me think it was an electrical issue and would stop later on.

Finished the trail at about 5am went back home drove the VX a day later and yes that problem stopped and has not happened again since then.
    TOD light kept Flashing on my way home, sometimes 15 times, sometimes 4 times, sometimes 20 times but still seemed to be working fine even driving 70mph on the highway. I felt like the light was trying to tell me something like in Morse Code which I am pretty sure I was right but then after a couple days TOD Check light came off and had no problems.

Then Yesterday, I took the VX out after a couple of weeks letting it dry, took my Girfriend to her house and the moment I started driving off Vx started acting weird. I pressed the accelerator and RPMs went up and down, like if it was trying to accelarate but something was stopping it second after second, under light accelaration everything was fine but the moment I tried pressing the accelerator a little bit more then that would start happening again, even If I was going 20mph or 50mph It felt like the engine was dying. Check Engine light came on again. I remembered my airfilter was really dirty so I got home, cleaned it, washed it and oiled it like I always do. Seemed to Fix the problem eventhough the Check Engine Light was still On but then It happened again and again and again, I put it in Park and open the hood took the Air filter out and engine starte ddoing the same withoutme pressing the accelerator until it turned off. I turned it back on without a problem.

So this long thread for what?
    Does anyone have any Idea what could be the problem?
    I am taking my VX to my mechanic today, see what code it throws out. I will let you know If we solve the problem or If I need some more input from you guys.

Here are some more pictures of another trail for your entretainment while you wait for MOAB pictures.

Last edited by Pepino : 05/16/2013 at 01:39 PM
    ----------------------
    A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
    Albert Einstein