Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Over spray error ( How to remove )????

Man I wish I could kick my own *****. I thought I would at least have clean windows but........ yes I know we all love to hear about the butt's I found out this morning I have traded my spots for scratches, yes I know I'm a bonified idiot. I'm fed up with this stuff and cant seem to find a way out, so if any of you guys have good advice please feel free to send it my way. Sorry for sounding a little sarcastic but hey I have a 30k VX and a 26k VW with scratches and spots all over them ( lucky me ).

~LOCO~

2000, Victory White, IronMan edition, #0329
    Ouch!

THAT really sounds painful to look at.

Body/paint shop? Talk to a detailer?

Expensive lesson learned.

I am sure you will figure something out...

A Light Of Hope....

Well I called a detail shop and the first one I called said he just did a car that had stain over spray on it and it came out pretty well and he said the light scratches should come out with a little buffing using Pumice or something like that. This will cost me 200 each I guess as long as he gives me his word that he will be able to get them back to the way they should be then its worth it so I don't have to go threw any more aggravation. I swear if I ever get this worked out I will not use the power sprayer again even it takes me a month to do another fence with a brush I am OK with that.

Man I hate this kind of stuff, anything but my cars.... You guys know what I mean.

Wow LOCO, sorry to hear about that! :cryp: Nobody likes to hear something like that, let alone have it happen to you! I hope it works out for you

Hey, let me know the name of the detail shop if you're happy with what they do, I need to get mine buffed to take out the swirls that some jacka$$ put in it.

2000, Victory White, IronMan edition, #0329
    Loco.. dont be afraid of the powersprayer...

... just park up wind
    ... and use some sort of backing or shield
    ... better yet... big plastic bags over the vehicles and anything else you dont want overspray on.

I know that always get nervous when I see fresh stripes being painted on the highway...

Anyway... hope all turns out well.. and she looks better than new.

Re: A Light Of Hope....

Originally posted by loco6464
    .... the light scratches should come out with a little buffing using Pumice or something like that. This will cost me 200 ....
    Light scratches can be easily healed with Meguiar's Scratch-X or 3M Rubbing Compound. Price ~ $ 5-7 .

Re: Re: A Light Of Hope....

Originally posted by Virus-VX
    Light scratches can be easily healed with Meguiar's Scratch-X or 3M Rubbing Compound. Price ~ $ 5-7 .

I hope so they are real light scratches so I kinda figured they would buff or rub out. I have cleaned windows like this in the past and I didn't have this kind of result. I guess its the newer windows or something. I'm dropping the VX off first on Thursday and he said he should have it done on Friday or sat at the latest so Ill post pics if all is well. I really wish I had used common since and protected my vehicles a little better. OH well time heals all wounds I guess I need to get over it and figure out how to remedy the situation.

Thanks Guys.

Re: Re: Re: A Light Of Hope....

Originally posted by loco6464
    .....I have cleaned windows like this in the past and I didn't have this kind of result. I guess its the newer windows or something. ...
    loco6464,
    I'm sorry, I might missed something. Where exactly you have scratches? On your windows or painted area of your vehicle's body? If you scratched your windows than I have to take back my previous suggestion. Meguiar's Scratch-X or 3M Rubbing Compound work only on paint scratches.

bummer they are on the windows...... The detail guy said he thinks he can buff them out and another guy said I could use a pumice compound to rub them out. I think Ill let the detail guy do it since my work latley sucks.

maybe try

3M Finish Polish (for light scratchs/oxidation) or 3M rubbing compound (for more scratchs/medium oxidation).
    Jeff
    former 2000 Proton owner
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Originally posted by Spike
    I REALLY hate to suggest it... compound and buffing wheel if needed?

taken to a REAL pro of course
    I agree. A good rubbing compound, some machine buffing, and a good polish afterwards. A lot of work and a lot of time, but on the bright side, you paint will look like new afterwards. A special request for a wetsanding would do even better wonders.

Won't be cheap either. The shop I used to work at, we would charge for a childs left arm to do that.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

The shop I'm going to said no more then 200 and he said he would even try to buff the scratches out if he could ( only a few on the VX, a lot worse on my VW ). He said he will buff it off and then wax and afterwards re-seal. I hope that will do it he did give me his word so I guess its worth a shot. I did read that Cerium Oxide (pink) or Jewelers Rouge (red) will remove the scratches by hand so if he has no luck Ill fool with that after. Do you guys think I should have my Isuzu sticker removed at this time or should I fix the task at hand and mess with that another time?

I hope all this goes well I drop it off tomorrow in the am so tomorrow night I should know.

Mike, just my .02, but it will be less expensive to remove the rear decal while they are already buffing it (also they don't have to buff around it and worry about "burning" it. Also you asked if I had any ghosting - none at all, you can't tell that there was ever anything there. If your VX has been garaged, it shouldn't be an issue.

I owned my Proton VX for over 2 years before removing that back sticker and I have absolutely no ghosting or trace of the sticker back there. If you're gonna do it, do it before it's buffed out.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Well I guess its worth a shot. And as you guys said he is already buffing it out so sounds like 2 birds with one stone kinda deal....

Ill let you know how it turns out.