Thread: Newb with rear door question

Newb with rear door question

First I just got my VX a week ago and except for a few little things really am liking it. The rear door release with key is a hassle. I see a bunch of threads with door release buttons on dash, spring poppers and solenoids but you still have to pull door open. So, rather than have a remote control in your right hand and pull the door with your left has anybody tried a touch button on tailgate handle next to licende plate like scions have on the trunk or C7 vets have on the door handle.

The door popper just unlocks/unlatches the rear door so that when you get back there, all you need to do is pull it open. An automatic door hasn't been done (yet) since it'd be rather involved to add the electric motor or hydraulic drive mechanisms to actually open the door for you.

It's a cool idea though and you should take plenty of pictures and write up a How2 when you make this conversion ... so we can all copy you.

I've had the idea knocking around in my head for a couple of years to convert my rear door to a lift gate. I just haven't been able to prioritize it enough yet to get started. I even have an extra door on hand (with a bad hinge) to do the project.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

:: you need to get on that Tom ~ I likey ::
    lex

Quote Originally Posted by vxodus View Post
    :: you need to get on that Tom ~ I likey ::

T'ain't gonna be easy. Not much material above glass to work with. The lift mechanism is also gonna be a PITA.

Mebbe this fall when I've completed a satifying # of items on the Honey-Do list.

I think I have been misunderstood. The release is a small flat rubber covered electric switch that would be at the finger tips on the right side of the license plate where you pull on the door. When activated (alarm disarmed), pulling on the door open (thus triggering the electric switch) would activate a typical solenoid release, thus opening the door the same way a Scion TC, or XB trunk release or a corvette C6 door opens. I get Scions in my shop all the time with the license plate panel broken off because when the alarm is active and the switch is not powered they pull the whole panel off.

Quote Originally Posted by Espritmike View Post
    (alarm disarmed)
    Quick FYI... the stock alarm is not affected by the rear door.
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet75 View Post
    Quick FYI... the stock alarm is not affected by the rear door.
    That's sort of the problem with the whole idea, sadly. There isn't a lock AND a latch on the back door. There is only a latch operated by a lock. So, while you could replace the key with a button, then you'd lose the lock unless you figured out some other way to disable the button.

There are some interesting options, though. You could conceivably patch it into the dome light, so you're only able to operate the button if one of the other doors is already open.

For myself, the spring popper works well enough most of the time, but I would love to have it on the remote.

Espritemike, I've done the mod you're asking about. I installed a pull actuator and cable to unlatch door. Added a all weather plunger switch in the handle pocket of the rear door. A micro switch attached to the drivers door power lock arm switches a relay to power the rear door only when doors are unlocked. And I added a plunger switch in with the doom light so if rear door is opened alarm will go off. I've had it in for 3 years now and it still works fine.
    You can see pics in my gallery, I can't seen to load them in this post for some reason....
    Why?..... because stock sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by mdwyer View Post
    For myself, the spring popper works well enough most of the time, but I would love to have it on the remote.
    Raque Thomas did a write-up after figuring out how to get the rear door popper to active with two pushes on the stock remote.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ar+door+popper

I did the mod that TREKker posted and it works like a charm.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless