Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Exterior Door handle rod vibrated out

Exterior Door handle rod vibrated out

Earlier this week, Dave and I ran an all day trail to Crown King with Brandon from over on the FB VX group site.

Had a GREAT time, and he took a ton of videos, mostly of me as I was following him.
    Check them out onthe "AZTREK" FB group site. They're awesome! https://www.facebook.com/groups/AZTREK/

Trail was so rough my exterior door handle stopped working. Took it apart today and found the rod had vibrated out of place. THERE'S A SURPRISE. It has that brown plastic clip on the end, then goes in the hole.

Popped it back in but sure not much resistence with that brown clip, really easy to pop out again.

I had a new clip so replaced it, seems to be seated much firmer.

Anything else I could do to make it stay connected??? -- as it seems to me there's going to be a lot more rough roads if we hang out with Brandon!

Also found 2 loose parts at bottom of door, not sure where they go, couldn't ID them on the schematics.
    Anybody ID these and where they go? The one on left is foam, I think it's padding for something, maybe one of the rods?

Last edited by VX KAT : 07/19/2013 at 01:18 PM
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Billy(triathlete) and I fixed mine at the "Stoop"...wait for it...a zip-tie...has worked for 4 or 5 years now. Sounds weird,but it works!
    ps Sue,I can't remember,is yours still stock height,and what is your tire size?
    I'm thinking of going back to stock height.I think I'm over the 4X4 thing,at least the extreme stuff. More expedition type stuff. Thanks Scott
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    X2 on the Zip Tie Fix.

Its a pain to get big hands in there.

But its lasted me 6 years..
    ...and I've been known to 'vibrate' the ORW a bit

Jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I ended up buying out my local dealer. They only had a couple in stock. I ended up using a couple on other VXer's trucks.

I heard that the part is also commonly available at any part store under the Help! (brand) section.
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

Great idea! Thx!

But SERIOUSLY how'd ya get yer big mits up there? I sure couldn't, nor could my finger reach it from the top by the lock stalk.

I can see some really LONG NEEDLE NOSE pliers in my future - or maybe a bent coat hanger wire!

Sounds like those 2 stray parts aren't mission critical to anything. Still like to know what they go to - without having to take the other door apart to compare.

SilverBullet- buying the small brown clip things?

Scott- Stock height, used to run 285/60-18s with the OEM 18" rims, no TB turns.
    Now running 265/60-18 on the Borbet 18x8" rims, -2 offset! along with cutting out the wheel well basically, we had to turn the TBs a little bit, so effectively, I'm a little heigher than stock between the tires and TBs, I forget exactly, but around 1" or less.

Thanks Sue! Take care. Scott

Sue, yes, I bought the plastic clips. One is brown, the other door's is white/clear.

Mine is ziptied also
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    I'd go with the zip-tie, they're as useful as duct tape and WD40. The other "can't live without" go-to is "Shoe Goo". If you've never experienced it's amazing sticky properties then you're in for a real treat. Imagine bubblegum x10!!
    Vixer Fixer

I had to fix mine at the stoop too a couple year ago. Guess how I fixed it...

Never leave home without zip ties.
    --Dave

I was getting tired of mine slipping off so I took the bar that slips out and bent the end out about 10 degrees (to a more obtuse angle). Im talking about the same (maybe inch long) part of the bar that is already bent and just bending it up from it's normal position. That might sound strange and a more acute angle may seem to make more sense at 1st, but the handle pushes down on the bar so an acute angle would actually help it slip off easier. Anywho, I bent the end of the bar out further and bypassed the clip altogether (putting the bent end of the bar straight through the llittle hole in the door handle where the plastic clip slides into. I did this months ago and have had not one problem. Alaska is a good beta test sight for window/door fixes. The ice here makes it almost impossible to open your doors sometimes and it would have definitely slipped out of the handle by now due to the multiple times I've been pissed off and late for work and excessively yanking on the handle.
    The only good varmint poontang is dead varmint poontang...I think .

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Larson View Post
    I'd go with the zip-tie, they're as useful as duct tape and WD40. The other "can't live without" go-to is "Shoe Goo". If you've never experienced it's amazing sticky properties then you're in for a real treat. Imagine bubblegum x10!!
    I totally agree....but don't EVER mix WD40 and duct tape. That doesn't work out too well. Well, don't mix Shoe Goo and bubble gum either for that matter. Don't know if any of you have done any halibut fishing, but WD40 is their favorite scent. We use these huge lures that have a squid skirt with a sponge in the middle. We soak with WD40 and the halibut come callin. My wife (who is a dainty thing) pulled in an 80 lb catch last weekend that almost yanked her off the boat. Strange how leaky oil or gas from an outboard repels fish, but the love the scent of WD40.

Pop quiz: What does WD40 stand for? (no Googling)

OK I'll stop hijacking now, but I did offer solution to this thread...just sayin.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    That would be...

Quote Originally Posted by iyafyl View Post
    Pop quiz: What does WD40 stand for? (no Googling)
    "Water Displacement (formula#) 40"...

...or something like that.

What do I win...a stuffed toy??

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    That would be...

"Water Displacement (formula#) 40"...

...or something like that.

What do I win...a stuffed toy??

Jo
    Close....water displacement perfected on the 40th attempt. In other words...you can screw something up 39 times, then get it right a make a bazillion dollars. How's that for optimism? I'm fresh out of stuffed toys, but you get the blue light special guy

YAY...I always wanted a "Blue Light" guy...

Jo