Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Interesting oil consumption issue

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Larson View Post
    The atmospheric pressure in the valve covers would be equalized through the oil drainback passages in the heads...

As to the oil cap breather, fab one up, it would be a snap to drill and tap the original and fit it with a breather tube and filter!
    Good think'n.

I might start with this one to test out on the Amigo before I copy over to the Vehicri:

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9291218/00031/

I'm starting to like Ldubs approach with an oil accumulation can more & more though. It looks like this might get messy if too much oil is present with the fumes.

Also keep in mind that this modification is slightly illegal. IIRC, it's been required since the 60's to NOT vent the crankcase to the atmosphere. Those gasses are required to be incinerated.

One thing I'll need to check when we pull the valve covers off of Boy's VX is for a baffle under the PCV. There's supposed to be one to prevent the oil from splashing into the PCV.

Mebbe dis one:

http://www.s2carbonworks.com/mfbialoilcac.html
    Last edited by tom4bren : 07/31/2013 at 11:11 AM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Tom,
    I have been tearing down my old engine in my garage and I would be happy to take any pictures of anything that you would like to see so you don't have to rip into anything of yours. I seem to remember seeing baffles under both valve covers, but my memory ain't what it used to be.

Let me know and I'll snap away (that goes for anyone else too).

P.S. - pulling the driver side valve cover is a MAJOR PITA!! The valve cover fastener that is on the bottom closest to the fire wall requires VERY small hands or some serious ingenuity and tool creation to get at it at all, much less actually remove it. I have a tool that I bought at Lowe's which ended up working fairly well, but I'll have to take pictures of that too because I can't remember what it's called. The other thing; in order to get the driver side valve cover back on without twisting the gasket like a pretzel I actually had to remove the driver side engine hoist point to get enough room to work. Iffn' you don't HAVE to remove the valve cover DON'T.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    Tom,
    I have been tearing down my old engine in my garage and I would be happy to take any pictures of anything that you would like to see so you don't have to rip into anything of yours. I seem to remember seeing baffles under both valve covers, but my memory ain't what it used to be.

Let me know and I'll snap away (that goes for anyone else too).

P.S. - pulling the driver side valve cover is a MAJOR PITA!! The valve cover fastener that is on the bottom closest to the fire wall requires VERY small hands or some serious ingenuity and tool creation to get at it at all, much less actually remove it. I have a tool that I bought at Lowe's which ended up working fairly well, but I'll have to take pictures of that too because I can't remember what it's called. The other thing; in order to get the driver side valve cover back on without twisting the gasket like a pretzel I actually had to remove the driver side engine hoist point to get enough room to work. Iffn' you don't HAVE to remove the valve cover DON'T.
    We're doing head gaskets so it hasta be done. Son is a mechanic & he's helping to make sure Dad doesn't FUBAR the whole thing.

Just ordered a oil catch can off ebay for $16. Hope it wasn't a waste of money. I'll let y'all know how it works out on the Amigo. If it's worth it, I'll be adding to the VehiCri too.

& yes Sue, you can get it in PURPLE ... but not in pink ... I went conservative though & got black.

Catch can arrived over the weekend.

It's pretty good for what I paid for it ... but ... I can see now where the big price break comes in. This one has no baffle screens in it. They are supposed to keep the liguid oil from entering the combustion chamber. With the length of hoses I installed, the screens aren't necessary. I think most/all of the liquids will condense on the inside of the hoses and either drip back into the valve covers or into the catch can.

I bolted it to the side of the airbox so I had to use more tubing than what came with the kit but it's out of the way and convenient for emptying if/when needed.

BTW, I looked on the inside of the valve cover that we removed from Boy's Ebony. There is a plate that runs the entire length of the valve cover under the PCV port. That's a good thang/bad thang. The good thing is that there is no oil splashing up into the PCV from the lifters. The bad thing is that it is a huge flat, level surface area to accumulate gunk which could be picked up into the PCV. It's a poor design but not worth the trouble of modifying since the catch can is such an easy/cheap alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Catch can arrived over the weekend.

It's pretty good for what I paid for it ... but ... I can see now where the big price break comes in. This one has no baffle screens in it. They are supposed to keep the liguid oil from entering the combustion chamber. With the length of hoses I installed, the screens aren't necessary. I think most/all of the liquids will condense on the inside of the hoses and either drip back into the valve covers or into the catch can.

I bolted it to the side of the airbox so I had to use more tubing than what came with the kit but it's out of the way and convenient for emptying if/when needed.

BTW, I looked on the inside of the valve cover that we removed from Boy's Ebony. There is a plate that runs the entire length of the valve cover under the PCV port. That's a good thang/bad thang. The good thing is that there is no oil splashing up into the PCV from the lifters. The bad thing is that it is a huge flat, level surface area to accumulate gunk which could be picked up into the PCV. It's a poor design but not worth the trouble of modifying since the catch can is such an easy/cheap alternative.
    Let us know how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksambo View Post
    Let us know how it works.
    Day one = no oil consumption

I'll keep an eye on things this week & let you know if I need to add any oil. I was using about a quart a week (VERY irregular consumption though). Only time will tell. Happy to keep you posted though since ifn it works, it'll be replicated onto both VehiCri.

After a week, I'd say that my oil consumption is about 1/2 of what it was before. I'll keep checking it though & post longer term results.

I had a 1999 isuzu amigo.
    Still have a 2001 isuzu rodeo sport and 2000 vx
    All vehicles have minimal oil use.
    Change oil regulary with mobile 1 synthetic and change PCV too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark B View Post
    I had a 1999 isuzu amigo.
    Still have a 2001 isuzu rodeo sport and 2000 vx
    All vehicles have minimal oil use.
    Change oil regulary with mobile 1 synthetic and change PCV too.
    That's what I'm trying to achieve - minimal oil use.

Amigo has 130K on the clock so it's not surprising that there is some oil consumption ... but PO said that it didn't use any.

This modification gets rid of the PCV so with the problems we've been experiencing with them, this can only be a good thing ... even if it doesn't help with my oil consumption.

tom when you get a chance can you snap a picture of what and how you installed please

sure. I'll try to snap some pix tonight.

Here's the one I ordered (only in black).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-HI...40bb05&vxp=mtr

BTW, I had to get a new PCV grommet for the install, mine was torn. The fitting that goes into the grommet was VERY tight but worked.

oil drip canister installed

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post

I like the way it looks. How do you empty the oil back into the engine and how often? Thx