Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Interesting oil consumption issue

thanks for the updates tom

in all of the oil consumption issue info that i have read on this site and others the oil should be recirculated - if it is not put back into the system somehow then it doesnt really fix the problem and you would still lose oil

im seriously considering this canister option

notice any changes like the oil getting dirty faster or is it staying clean?

I've not yet changed the oil on the Amigo since I've owned it. That question will be answered sometime in the nebulous future.

BTW, the PCV set up doesn't recirculate the oil, it burns it. Basically the canister just replaces the PCV itself so the 'closed loop system' remains unchanged except for these 2 benefits:

1. PCV is subject to fouling fairly easily since the internal plumbing is pretty small & the canister doesn't.

2. less pressure is allowed to build up inside the valve cover since you don't need to overcome (open) the valve inside the PCV.

Mebbe the trick is the secret I accidentally found. Long tubes running to the canister on a slightly uphill slope. That way, the oil in the gasses can condense & run back into the valve cover.
    Last edited by tom4bren : 09/13/2013 at 12:46 PM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Just to let you know:

I owned a 1993 amigo 4 cyl engine - used oil
    I owned a 1997 rodeo 3.2L engine - used oil

The rodeo was in an accident before I bought it and had some front end damage, but I don't think that was the reason for the oil consumption.

I'm guessing that Isuzu motors are reliable IF you do ALL the required maintenance right on schedule. Otherwise, you'll be reaping the consequences of your or previous owners' negligence.

I came across that wiki page you posted. Do our engines really mist the oil making it easier to burn off? If so the canister should work right!

In addition, my mechanic said I needed to run a detergent oil for a while and said the best and cheapest thing to do is run transmission oil in it to clean it out. Just a quart to start.

I'm burning extreme now, almost a quart every 500 miles.

I used about a quart of oil on my 700 mile round trip to Tennessee last week. I could wish for better but I rekin it's nothing to complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Just ordered a oil catch can off ebay for $16. Hope it wasn't a waste of money. I'll let y'all know how it works out on the Amigo. If it's worth it, I'll be adding to the VehiCri too.

& yes Sue, you can get it in PURPLE ... but not in pink ... I went conservative though & got black.
    haven't kept up on this thread, so missed your post brutter T….but, funny you should mention this as I've had it on my ebay "watch list" for about a year now, not quite knowing what to do with it, or exactly how it worked.

I recall Dub had a catch canister, but since my consumption is so minimal, and only on prolonged highway driving,
    I thought it may be kind of useless….oh wait, I have MANY USELESS MODS, that shouldn't deter me!
    And it will MATCH my brake calipers - how kool is that!! - - -

Maybe we can make it the 2014 Moab install project on me ride!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221061709918...84.m1438.l2649
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Maybe we can make it the 2014 Moab install project on me ride!
    Easy Peezy install. Took all of ... 15 minutes (not counting the trip to parts store for a replacement PCV grommet & extra hose. I think it took me more time to decide where to mount it than it did to install it.

I'd say that probably 90% of peeps that install them do it just for the bling in their engine compartment (as opposed to 'needing' it). Most of the advertisement hype is just that ... hype. If you need to get rid of the PCV though, it's a good option.