Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Did a dumb thing.

Some e-brakes on some vehicles are separate functions that don't incorporate the main caliper, some aren't. And no one said absolutely never use the e-brake anyway.

I would always use the parking brake with a manual transmission but never with an Automatic. Just wasn't raised that way, I guess.

It was the passenger side rear that was dragging. took the caliper off, pulled off the disc/drum and everything looked good. Backed the auto adjuster out as far as it would go and put everything back together. Could push the car around the shop just like before. Did an oil and filter change while I had it on the lift. Retorqued all the lug bolts (new tires a few weeks ago) Washed it and got ready to go home. Stopped at a Auto Show in town (wished I'd known about it earlier and would have participated), had lunch and then finally headed for home. Backed into the garage and smelled a bit of brake heat. Sure enough the passenger side rear is hot to touch again. Drivers side has hardly any heat and both fronts seem a bit warm but not hot. Wish I had my infrared thermometer, but it's 180 miles away (round trip) Will bring it next week if I don't take the car on Tuesday.

As far as anyone ever breaking a parking pawl, never heard of it. If someone hit's my car that hard I would hope it would move.

Rod

Sounds like its the caliper hanging up and not the e-brake if it started doing it again while driving and you didnt touch it. Also, if the parking brake was tight enough to be over heating then you wouldnt have been able to get the rotor/drum off without backing off the adjuster first.
    --Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo42 View Post
    Sounds like its the caliper hanging up and not the e-brake if it started doing it again while driving and you didnt touch it. Also, if the parking brake was tight enough to be over heating then you wouldnt have been able to get the rotor/drum off without backing off the adjuster first.
    I'm thinking that too. The wheel would not turn very easily when I ran the car up on the lift. Took off the tire and started to remove the caliper. It was a bit tight, but came off with just a bit of prying it open. The rotor/drum did come off fairly easy, just a bit of wiggling.

The car did just have the front end rebuilt and the calipers would have been taken off. Do I need to do a brake bleed to equalize the system? Or do I have a problem with the ABS? At slow speed I do have a pulsing sensation and just now remembered the photo of a damaged ABS sensor on someone else posted during their DYI repair.

Really want to take a trip Monday with the car but don't want to do any additional damage. It will be around 700 miles. Guess today I will head out on the 4 lane and bring it up to road speed for several miles slow down without touching the brakes and check the rotors. Hope I can find someone with an infrared thermometer.

Rod

Rod,

Put her back on the lift again & remove the caliper from the disc. Compress the piston all the way & then pump it back out a little with the brake pedal (not too far). Compress it again. All OK???

Now make sure the caliper is traveling along the guides OK. Clean up the entire caliper as best you can with a wire brush & compressed air. Lube the guides (even put a little grease down in the holes where the guides go. Slide the calipers in & out a few times to make sure the travel is still smooth.

Put her all back together & take her for a test drive. Let us know how it all works out.

My rear calipers are starting to stick from time to time too. It may be time for replacement but for now I'm nursing them along as long as I can.

Tom
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

New Caliper just arrived

Got a call from my brother telling me that the caliper arrived. His lift is busy and I have a 10am appointment. hopefully at noon he will send everyone off for lunch and I can sneak in for a few minutes to put it in . Will then have to wait for the guys to get back so I can bleed the new caliper.

Rod

Finners crossed that caliper fixes problem (I'm 90% confident that it will).

Save your old caliper. A thorough cleaning/lube may make it a good spare part later.

New rebuilt caliper fixed the issue. 300 mile on it since replacing and all is well. Gave them the core back. $35. charge. new one wasn't painted red but all else the same. Just got it back from the Power Steering hose replacements. No more dots in the garage I hope now.

Rod