Thread: Did a dumb thing.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    That isn't dumb at all, my ebrake pads are shot from doing stuff like that on the trails, and then forgetting about it. Silver lining, if you managed to damage the rotor, you can upgrade to cross drilled rotors

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

You might just have a brake piston hanging because of the usage of the parking brake. It will happen on my car if I use the parking brake too, but since my car is also an automatic, I've rarely had a need to use it's parking brake. (And after learning that my brakes are prone to hanging IF I use the parking brake, I've never used it since).

First step would be to determine which piston is hanging. You can do this by getting that wheel off the ground and spinning it to see if the brake on that corner is the one that's hanging. (Or you can simply drive fora bout a block, then get out and feel whether any of your rims are hotter than the others). Once you get that determined, there are sometimes manual adjusting screws on the back of the caliper that allow you to back the piston/pads away from the rotor. (The one on my car has an internal allen wrench head I have to gain access to by removing a regular hex head bolt on the back of the caliper). Back the piston away from the rotor far enough to free up the wheel, then adjust in back and forth a few times until it's JUST out of contact with the rotor.

Once you get it set this way, DON'T USE THE PARKING BRAKE AGAIN UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO or you'll find yourself having to repeat the same process at some point on the side of the road.

I don't know why some calipers hang and some don't, but some obviously do when the mechanical aspect of the parking brake is brought into play but simply don't if relying only on the hydraulic action of the brake fluid.

Of course all that is based on the assumption that the brake calipers on our VX's have a similar adjusting screw. I've never looked, so I can't say for sure, but if they do it would most likely be located on the back of the caliper and centered directly behind the brake piston cylinder itself. I can't look right now but maybe someone can verify in the meantime if we also have these adjustment capabilities.