Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New Fairing Install

New Fairing Install

Installed Thule # 871 fairing on the VX yesterday. Its the 38" model. I opted for this model v. the # 555 version because the install seemed easier, and it was. The longest part was waiting for the horizontal mighty mounts for isuzupart.net

I think it looks pretty good... the 'wings' on the side compliments the rear spoiler nicely.

Please excuse my ignorance, but is the roof rack thule or is it izuzu with the thule faring(wing?)
    I do wish to get a good rack so which is best?
    Does the faring/wing cut down the wind resistance for the rack?
    Yours looks good, I do not need the ski part of the rack though.
    Where is the best place to get a best price? How much shuold I be paying?
    Please direct me!!!
    Thanks

Horizontal mighty mounts

I located some horizontal mighty mounts(for bike accesories not ski) at a local sporting goods store. They have 2 sets left at $5.99 each. As soon as I said "wing-rider" to the sales rep he wanted to unload them on me.

If anyone is having a hard time finding these, let me know. I don't know how much they are going for on isuzuparts.net or st. charles isuzu. 6 bucks sounded like a good deal.

drdavis4u, the rack is the OEM yakima rack made specifically for the Vehicross. There is no other rack that will fit, believe me I researched it. If you need the part number for the rack, I can give it to you.

I installed the fairing b/c the wind noise is caused by the shape of the bars. If you don't have the aero bars installed, there is no need for a fairing.

I researched fairing options and the best choice was the Thule #871 model. It was easily installed with 4 horizontal mighty mounts.

There's no more wind noise after install, so I guess it works. You can purchase at your local REI, costs $45.

Nice deal Eclipse. I was curious as to a roof rack fairing but bever did any research on it. I recently aquired a OEM rack and put it on and the wind noise is enough to drive one mad. I just might have to mimick your purchase.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Thumbs up

WOW That looks way Cool !! I just orded the same thing !!!Thanks

Cool pix,
    but does thois cut down on that annoying howl from the rack at anything over 60??

Red face

by redirecting the wing over the wingbars, the wind noise is drastically reduced.

i was trying to listen by sticking my head out go about 60 mph. wind noise was nominal, the bars use to start howling between 35-40 mph.

if anyone needs any help/tips with the installation, give me a holla.

2000, Victory White, IronMan edition, #0329
    I kinda like the wind noise.. gives the illusion of going faster than you really are...

But that deflector does look very nice.. not tacky or cheap...
    ~ ~ ~
    Van Eyes - slightly trimmed, Sylvania SilverStar ULTRA head lamps, Red (port) & green (starboard) 5 LED 'headlight horn' lights, PIAA silicone windshield wipers, K&N Filtercharger (in stock air box), MacNeil WeatherFlectors, Assorted cargo nets from previous vehicles, Optima red-top battery, Transmission Interceptor, 20 LED 'light tower' turn signals & brake lights, 18W PIAA W2 running lights, Trooper skid plates, Black Luverne step bars w/Tone's custom brackets

Jest a quick ?, what is the part # for the horizontal mighty mounts?
    Knowledge is power!

the mighty mount part # 2-90116-905-0

the price is $16.12 for a set of 4, and $7.95 with shipping. total $24.07

I went ahead and became an Eclipse wannabe. Bought the same fairing. Couldnt pass it up bro. Looks too nice and i want to kill that wind noise. Again, good find and thanks for sharing the info.

which fairing is better? thule or yamika

Hi,

saw the picture, it looks nice and i wanna get one too, but i'm just wondering if anyone tried a yakima fairing before and how's that compared with the thule fairing?

also how's the wind noise at about 70m/h now? just wanna know how's the effect before and after installing this thing, cos it's a pretty common speed i drive on highway, and the wind noise is just killing me.

thx
    xiaoz

i checked out both the yakima and thule fairings... if you take a look at the yakima fairing install it, seems the the outer brackets are specifically made for round yakima bars, which we don't have:

http://www.yakima.com/instructions/1032276b-instr.pdf

With the Thule fairing, I cut off part of the square bracket (as instructed by manufacturer) and threaded the screw though the upper bracket and mighty mount assemby, then tightened everything down.

I wanted to go with Yakima, since the rack components are Yakima. But the Thule fairing presented more viable mounting option. I just installed the Thule fairing in reverse so the brand name is not facing outward.

Well, i was wondering where the hell that noise was comming from. thought i had a bad weather stripping on the back door.
    so i went and got this, and the noise is gone. thanks

also, can you post a better detailed pic of how you installed?
    i went with the square bolt in the track of the rack bar (per instructions) i didnt see anywhere where it said to cut the square box off the back. as it stands now, i doubt i will be able to mount my ski rack to the top, as the tri wing nut seems to be in the way