Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Attention California VX's

Attention California VX's

Just informed from a smog station who is also a cert station where I am... If you are going in for a SMOG (probably just a STAR SMOG) you will NEED to have locking front hub's.. California updated their database to show that we are a 4WD car but can disengage the front... so the rules require them to use a rear wheel dyno on our car... Just letting everyone know.. This is new just THIS YEAR!

Hope this helps everyone!

UPDATE:

So if you have the problem stated above, you must take your car to a State Ref Station (normally at a local college) From there they will take a long hard look at your car to determine that YES INDEED you cannot disable the TOD system. Than they will sniffer your car and when/if it passes you are in the clear.. They do not charge for smogging, but charge 9 dollars for the cert.

Our local ref said he would tell the state that their information about the car was wrong but he said that smog shops don't update their manual's often so we will probably have to go to the ref from now on to get the car smogged.. I guess it's ok, it ends up saving 50+ dollars in my area..
    Last edited by frankd14321 : 09/10/2013 at 08:41 AM

Well since the VX didnt have locking hubs in the front OEM the state needs to fix thier error. Ca DMV needs to be informed of the mistake/ignorance.

I can inform them, but I doubt it will do a damn bit of good.. This is just information that I just found out today while trying to pass my car with a STAR SMOG requirement... not sure if they care for a normal smog.

At the very least, inform them when you take it in that your vehicle is full time 4WD from the factory and that they should not put it on any machine that leaves the front wheels on pavement whilst the rear ones are spinning.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

I informed the tech... he is a inspector for the state as well.. I will see if he can let them know as well.... He's a personal friend.

yer right in that CA won't change the rules based on a single vehicle ... but we've had more than one member suffer damage because a tow company or garage didn't understand what full time 4WD meant.

Yep...

I would think it is a TOD system it is all wheel drive

Quote Originally Posted by longiotti View Post
    I would think it is a TOD system it is all wheel drive
    I second that. I mean it thinks for it self.. we cant just tell it not to engage it... unless your jo...

Quote Originally Posted by 44ficus44 View Post
    I second that. I mean it thinks for it self.. we cant just tell it not to engage it... unless your jo...
    Yah ... but there ain't nuthin that ain't stupid proof ... ask me how I know.

Bumping this up, so people know what I had to do to get my VX to pass a Star Smog.

So if you have the problem stated above, you must take your car to a State Ref Station (normally at a local college) From there they will take a long hard look at your car to determine that YES INDEED you cannot disable the TOD system. Than they will sniffer your car and when/if it passes you are in the clear.. They do not charge for smogging, but charge 9 dollars for the cert.

Our local ref said he would tell the state that their information about the car was wrong but he said that smog shops don't update their manual's often so we will probably have to go to the ref from now on to get the car smogged.. I guess it's ok, it ends up saving 50+ dollars in my area..

Quote Originally Posted by frankd14321 View Post
    Bumping this up, so people know what I had to do to get my VX to pass a Star Smog.

Hey Frank, which college did you go to? Was it Victor Valley?
    3" suspension lift, shocks: Rancho 9000, tires 33"x11.5", wheels 16"x8", offset= 0, no front sway bar

I got mine smogged last month with ZERO issues, questions, etc...

and this is why I got my car plated in Arizona.

California.... driving laws as lame and under thought as Maryland gun laws.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT