Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: scared meself!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    '01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    In my own defense, I didn't say pressurized oil, but I meant, and SHOULD have said, "oil vapor".
    Duly noted Trek. It's really not even "oil vapor" as much as it is simply mechanically splashed oil being flung out of the open filler neck. The only thing nobody can argue is that it makes one hell of a mess... Rustproofing, yea that's it!
    Vixer Fixer

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Larson View Post
    Duly noted Trek. It's really not even "oil vapor" as much as it is simply mechanically splashed oil being flung out of the open filler neck. The only thing nobody can argue is that it makes one hell of a mess... Rustproofing, yea that's it!
    Oil being flung sure isn't the only thing it's looked like even when I've ever just had my engine running with the oil filler cap off, and that's not even considering the possible air currents that would be occurring under the hood while driving, but I'm not going to get into an argument about it when I've seen it for myself.

Best-o-luck to ya Tom, as long as ya keep oil in yer sumpn'! Please do keep us posted as to yer findings! Oh, and just calls me "Smoky Da Bear"...although I ain't from Chiicaagoo or nuttin' like dat dere...Go Bears!!

Hmmmm - working on my 6VD1 engined 3.2L VX today, I noticed what might be another difference.
    (Or it could just be that you guys need to look at your own engines a bit better).

Standing at the front of the vehicle, looking at the engine, the PCV valve is in the right hand side rocker cover, and after the PCV valve the hose connects to the intake manifold just after the throttle body.
    Now look to the left hand side rocker cover. At the same place as the PCV valve is on the right, another hose comes out of the rocker cover, but without a PCV valve. That hose connects to the intake air pipe, just in front of the throttle body.
    Is that LHS hose the type of cross over you had in mind Tom??

Remember, my 6VD1 engine does not burn oil to the point of needing to be topped up between oil changes - it drops about 1/3 of a quart in 3000 miles.

Comments appreciated.

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

That's called a positive ventilation hose and is a mystery to me in that it dumps into the intake before the throttle body allowing unfilterd and most likely oil-misted air to dirty-up the throttle body. Just one more thing about these engines that confounds me as to what the boys at Isuzu were thinking... As to providing a pressure balance between the valve covers, it would not.

Nor would I consider arguing the point Trek. As you have seen the results first hand, you don't need an explanation. For those not as well versed, when looking down the oil filler neck on the passenger side valve cover, you will notice the cam gear assembly directly below that opening. Now imagine that assembly, rotating at speed, bathed in a constant oil flow, flinging the oil out an open filler neck cuz someone left the cap off...yup, it makes a helluva mess! I've never done it, but in these hurried times, I completely understand how it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Larson View Post
    Nor would I consider arguing the point Trek. As you have seen the results first hand, you don't need an explanation. For those not as well versed, when looking down the oil filler neck on the passenger side valve cover, you will notice the cam gear assembly directly below that opening. Now imagine that assembly, rotating at speed, bathed in a constant oil flow, flinging the oil out an open filler neck cuz someone left the cap off...yup, it makes a helluva mess! I've never done it, but in these hurried times, I completely understand how it happens.
    Yes, the results I've personally seen first hand as it was happening was more akin to pressurized oil vapors, and not oil being slung. Oil being slung obviously seems to be the only thing you've imagined, and yes, I can imagine that too, but that's not what I've been saying.

Why Isuzu didn't see fit to include a baffle plate under the filler hole in that valve cover to aid in condensate collection and drainback like I've seen on other valve covers is a mystery, but the fact remains that they didn't on the VX. Maybe the engineers at Isuzu were just giving people more benefit of the doubt at the time though since everything was so much more slower paced that far back at the turn of the millennium.

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    Maybe the engineers at Isuzu were just giving people more benefit of the doubt at the time though since everything was so much more slower paced that far back at the turn of the millennium.
    Rekin I proved them wrong, didn't I?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    LMAO!!!

I do rather like "Whore Jockey".....

Seems to me that the affable bastardization of an on line nom de plume..

...is somewhat de rigueur .

"WJ"
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Need that on a T-shirt for Moab 2014.

LOL, I did this once too. Pulled into my garage with smoke billowing out from under the hood. Man did I feel stupid,and yes, total mess.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    LOL, I did this once too. Pulled into my garage with smoke billowing out from under the hood. Man did I feel stupid,and yes, total mess.

Bart
    Glad to find meself in such good company.

Now we can share one of these:

Guess I'll chime in; I've totally done this too. Checked the oil during a fuel stop, topped it off and the closed the hood and took off. A little way down the road smoke, and a nasty smell, started billowing out from under the hood. My heart totally sank and I got a very sick feeling in my stomach (and I needed to change my shorts) because I thought that the engine was toast. Pulled over into a parking lot, popped the hood and saw oil EVERYWHERE in the engine compartment. After a slight panic I realized that the oil cap was off, and luckily still sitting where I had left it (hood must have kept it in place). Topped the oil off again, replaced the cap, and went on my way.

I don't think the engine compartment was completely cleaned until the engine was replaced (not due to oil loss).
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Glad to find meself in such good company.

Now we can share one of these:

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    Guess I'll chime in; I've totally done this too.
    Mebbe we should start a poll

It appears that according to the logical progression of this thread - if you ever forget to put your oil cap back on ... you are indeed a washington-franklin-adams-jeffersonian.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    It appears that according to the logical progression of this thread - if you ever forget to put your oil cap back on ... you are indeed a washington-franklin-adams-jeffersonian.
    You wish.