Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: scared meself!!!

scared meself!!!

Smoke coming from right front wheel on drive in to work this morning.

Some dummy (me) didn't put the oil cap back on when I topped it off this morning before leaving for work.

I now have a nice coating of 'rust preventing' oil on everything under the hood (including the underside of the hood).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Do ya keep any clean undies at work?
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Does that make it redneck rustproofing?

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Do ya keep any clean undies at work?
    NN ... Commando

Absoloootly ... & lasts longer than the McDonald's French Fry grease I usta use.

Been there. Not a good feeling once you know it's happened given the possible oil consumption problems of some VX's.

When it happened to me, it made me wonder just how much crankcase pressure would have to be present to actually expel oil out of that orifice, and is why I've since opted for a breather filter as opposed to the stock PCV setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    When it happened to me, it made me wonder just how much crankcase pressure would have to be present to actually expel oil out of that orifice, and is why I've since opted for a breather filter as opposed to the stock PCV setup.
    Thot the same thing. But then I decided that the oil isn't being sprayed out as much as is it is being splashed out. One of the lifters is right below the fill hole.

Whenever I switch from PCV to an oil catch can on the VX, I think I'll add a crossover tube between the 2 valve covers though. I still think it's stoopid to only relieve pressure from one side.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Absoloootly ... & lasts longer than the McDonald's French Fry grease I usta use.
    Now why didn't I think of these handy dandy rustproofing techniques? Oil + power sprayer = protection from Chi-town Winters!
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.

My VehiCROSS

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnalVX View Post
    Now why didn't I think of these handy dandy rustproofing techniques? Oil + power sprayer = protection from Chi-town Winters!
    And if you loosen a few oil pan and tranny pan bolts you can also rustproof the undercarriage. My Cobra...she don't rust!
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

Whenever I switch from PCV to an oil catch can on the VX, I think I'll add a crossover tube between the 2 valve covers though. I still think it's stoopid to only relieve pressure from one side.
    \
    Just my opinion, but I think you're entering into over-engineering territory with that one by considering pressure to be the same as flow. As long as pressure has any point of escape, it will be evenly distributed throughout the entire system of passages.

\
    Just my opinion, but I think you're entering into over-engineering territory with that one by considering pressure to be the same as flow. As long as pressure has any point of escape, it will be evenly distributed throughout the entire system of passages.
    Mebbe ... mebbe

What is the current mechanism for pressure leveling between the two valve covers though ... through the block? Don't think so. The PCV is designed to relieve pressure that is accidentally placed on the valve covers by the block. Valve covers aren't designed to manage pressure, they are usually just light stamped steel.

A crossover tube may be overkill but with our oil consumption problems, it's an easy solution that may have large benefits. I'm just proposing that I'll be the guinea pig to try it out. The trial will just be to get an aftermarket oil fill cap, drill a hole through it, run a hose from there over to the catch can, drive it for a month or 2 to see if it helps ... easy peezy!

I'm already running an oil catch can on the Amigo & cut the oil consumption in half. Next I'll try the crossover tube to see what that does. Replacement engines just don't seem to be the bestest solution to our oil consumption problem ... there's gotta be a better fix.

Mebbe ... mebbe

What is the current mechanism for pressure leveling between the two valve covers though ... through the block? Don't think so. The PCV is designed to relieve pressure that is accidentally placed on the valve covers by the block.
    And do you not think there was any contradiction in what you just said? Besides, PCV DOES stand for Positive Crankcase Ventilation.

But since you brought it up, by what mechanism are YOU then suggesting that any crankcase pressure gets up to the valve covers? Are you suggesting that there is only a passage/tube that goes from the crankcase up to the drivers' side head/valve cover to get to the stock PCV valve? If so, what good would such a crossover tube to the passenger side valve cover do then, since in your scenario, there would then be no excess crankcase pressure there to equalize anyway?

A crossover tube may be overkill but with our oil consumption problems, it's an easy solution that may have large benefits. I'm just proposing that I'll be the guinea pig to try it out. The trial will just be to get an aftermarket oil fill cap, drill a hole through it, run a hose from there over to the catch can, drive it for a month or 2 to see if it helps ... easy peezy!

I'm already running an oil catch can on the Amigo & cut the oil consumption in half. Next I'll try the crossover tube to see what that does. Replacement engines just don't seem to be the bestest solution to our oil consumption problem ... there's gotta be a better fix.
    Like I said, I was just offering my opinion. Knock yourself out.

And do you not think there was any contradiction in what you just said? Besides, PCV DOES stand for Positive Crankcase Ventilation.

But since you brought it up, by what mechanism are YOU then suggesting that any crankcase pressure gets up to the valve covers? Are you suggesting that there is only a passage/tube that goes from the crankcase up to the drivers' side head/valve cover to get to the stock PCV valve? If so, what good would such a crossover tube to the passenger side valve cover do then, since in your scenario, there would then be no excess crankcase pressure there to equalize anyway?
    Nope ... I did not contradict meself (that would be counter productive to my current record of never being wrong). The PCV valve is there to prevent PCV, which is why many laymen actually mistakenly refer to the little plastic thinggy on your left hand valve cover as the Pressure Control Valve (PCV). The bottom line is that you should NOT have pressure inside of your valve covers - they just can't handle it. Valve covers have a direct line to your oil pan so any pressure is bled off by ... oil leaks - at the valve covers, or the oil pan, I've even seen it shoot out of the dipstick tube.

Where does that pressure come from you ask? Blow by from the valves (probably blow by from the rings too but that's food for a different discussion).

The only way that the right valve cover pressure can be relieved through the PCV is for the vapors to flow through the oil pan & back up the other side to the left valve cover to exit through the PCV. That's just asking for more vapor borne oil to get burned off through the combustion chamber & IIRC, that's what we're trying to avoid.

It sounds like we aren't going to ever reach the point of agreeing to agree so until I try out my cross over idea, lets just agree to disagree. It's gonna be SCHWWEEEETT to prove you wrong though.

Replacement engines just don't seem to be the bestest solution to our oil consumption problem ... there's gotta be a better fix.
    What are you talkin' about Tom. The brand new Eye-suzu engine that I put in mine hasn't burned a drop of oil for over a year now. I still check it religiously, but to date those extra little holes that they drilled in the pistons seem to be doing their job.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    Oh boy, here we go again...Not to start a major debate or anything but, the PCV does indeed provide positive crankcase ventilation, hence the name! Equalization of pressure is conveniently provided by the oil drainback passages in the heads and block, there are no internal valves to retain pressure in either. The oil "spluge" described coming from the dipstick tube or the PCV or the oil cap is from worn piston rings 99.999% of the time. (I did see once where a piston had been holed by too hot of plugs but how often does that happen? The oil spit out of an open oil filler neck is as Tom suspected, merely spash, not pressurized oil. Worn valves won't pressurize the crankcase as they do not have an open passage to the crankcase. They will cause a loss of compression and backfiring through the intake manifold if it is the intake valves that are worn. Worn valve seals can leak oil into the combustion chambers to be burned off during operation but even they will not pressurize the crankcase. As far as the returning oil flow being somehow pressured into blowing back through the return passages, highly unlikely as the oil return passages are far more voluminous then the pressure passages. Could it happen? Only if the return passages were so sludged-up and restricted as to cause a positive-pressure environment within the return-oil system. If that's the case, the owner of said auto has far greater things to be concerend about, namely, no oil gettin' to nothin'...
    Vixer Fixer