Hi all -

So after almost 3 years sitting in my garage (I took a job that had me traveling 100% and living no where near my house/cars), I am finally starting to get my VX back in driving shape. First up is replacing the CV Boots.

I know there have been hundreds of threads and some great how-tos on replacing them, but I haven't found the solution to this issue anywhere so I thought I would see if anyone could help.

Anyway, I'm following the method of removing the 4 17mm control arm bolts. These were pretty badly rusted on, but using some PB blaster, a breaker bar and a lot of cursing, I was able to break them all free. The problem is that the entire bolt is rotating, not just the nut.

On the two bolts toward the front of the VX, I was able to just use another ratchet and some more cursing to break the nut free. On the two toward the rear there is an additional metal "sheath" over the lower control arm with a cutout for the bolt heads that allows them to be recessed about 1/8".

I'm having problems embedding the picture, so here is a link

Because of this, I can't grip on to the bolt head with a box wrench or socket. It looks like the intent might have been for the bolt head to be prevented from rotating by the metal, but that has not happened and it rotates freely in place.

I wasn't able to find anyone that encountered/solved this problem. Does anyone have any recommendations? I am seriously considering dremeling out enough room to fit a socket into the recessed area, but I'm guessing that will be easier said than done.

If you have any thoughts, I would greatly appreciate them, thank you!