Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: MOAB 'ZuZoo VXI - May 2014: 5/12/14 - 5/16/14

OK, so I'm DEFINITELY coming this year...my first year. I've NEVER been off-road... well not like the kind out there at Moab. Since my VX is a show car, obviously I can't take her off road... or can I? I wouldn't mind taking off road where there won't be a single scratch on her, like on the easiest trail or something, but I'm not even sure if that exists. On another note however... I definitely want to go OFF ROAD with someone else and see the VX do some CRAAAAZY stuff!!!!, but since I don't know anyone.... and both the guys local to me are likely not going... I'm not sure who I can ride with...

Ultimately, my ideal trip would be to go out, meet everyone, go off-roading, and then maybe a couple days camping waaaaaaaaaaay out in no mans land and come home...

Just throwing this out there
    ---------

Ty

Quote Originally Posted by tysamigo View Post
    OK, so I'm DEFINITELY coming this year...my first year. I've NEVER been off-road... well not like the kind out there at Moab. Since my VX is a show car, obviously I can't take her off road... or can I? I wouldn't mind taking off road where there won't be a single scratch on her, like on the easiest trail or something, but I'm not even sure if that exists. On another note however... I definitely want to go OFF ROAD with someone else and see the VX do some CRAAAAZY stuff!!!!, but since I don't know anyone.... and both the guys local to me are likely not going... I'm not sure who I can ride with...

Ultimately, my ideal trip would be to go out, meet everyone, go off-roading, and then maybe a couple days camping waaaaaaaaaaay out in no mans land and come home...

Sounds like a good plan! I'm sure you can ride with just about anyone
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

Absolutely!

Show off your mint VX at the Stoop, and then ride along with someone else on the trails. If you want guarantees of ABSOLUTELY NO DAMAGE... Do not take it off road. Period.
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.

My VehiCROSS

Quote Originally Posted by tysamigo View Post

I'm with you. I will go on an easy trail, but I cant risk my daily driver.

I am actually pretty close to you. I live in West Chester, Oh. When are you heading out and when do you plan to return. Perhaps there is a convoy possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMAS View Post
    I'm with you. I will go on an easy trail, but I cant risk my daily driver.
    Don't get me wrong... Fins & Things, Hell's Revenge, and many other trails can be done safely by a stock VehiCROSS. I've been to Moab 7 times, and my VX has suffered more just from living in Chicago. I'm just saying that you ARE going to bump and scrape bits if you go wheelin'. The ONLY way to avoid any kind of blemish from going off road is to stay on it.

There are actually some very scenic trails in Moab that are basically dirt roads. As far as any of the other trails even though they can be done by stock VXs there is still always a chance of damage...even in the easiest of trails. But that said, if you have the chance to go...GO! It's a great experience. You will have a ton of fun with a lot of great people. You will find no shortage of open seats and invites to ride along...you may become the camera guy in exchange though
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnalVX View Post
    Don't get me wrong... Fins & Things, Hell's Revenge, and many other trails can be done safely by a stock VehiCROSS. I've been to Moab 7 times, and my VX has suffered more just from living in Chicago. I'm just saying that you ARE going to bump and scrape bits if you go wheelin'. The ONLY way to avoid any kind of blemish from going off road is to stay on it.
    I guess thats what I mean. I will go on the easiest one(s). I understand that going off the road can cause bumps and scrapes.....I am just trying to minimize the high dollar repairs. I dont go "wheelin" with it ever, but the VX isnt a show vehicle for me either. I take care of it, and its more than capable, but off roading is not a hobby for me at this point so I would rather be more cautious at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    There are actually some very scenic trails in Moab that are basically dirt roads. As far as any of the other trails even though they can be done by stock VXs there is still always a chance of damage...even in the easiest of trails. But that said, if you have the chance to go...GO! It's a great experience. You will have a ton of fun with a lot of great people. You will find no shortage of open seats and invites to ride along...you may become the camera guy in exchange though
    I am definitely going. And I will sort out the drive vs. ride choice when it presents itself. I am definitely looking forward to it. I figure I have to do it at least once in the time that I own the vehicross. It feels like a pilgrimage

I use my VX as my daily driver, and try to keep it in as good a shape as possible, but I have been to Moab 8 or 9 times now, and like Gill said; I get more "damage" just driving it around every day. Like others have said, there are some easy trails out in Moab and it's always amazing to see what these little things are capable of. As I've said before, and others will attest to I'm sure, I tend to drive like a little old lady going to church on Sunday when I go off road. Off-roading is not a hobby for me and Moab is the only time that my VX sees any kind of serious off-roading (other than dirt roads around Colorado). There is ALWAYS the possibility of some minor scrapes doing ANY trail in Moab, even the dirt roads, but the thrill of doing some of these "obstacles" and getting to hang out with a bunch of people who share the same passion that I have is well worth it.

If you're keeping the VX as a "show car" then I wouldn't even drive it on the road because it could get rock chips in the paint, dirt and mud on the undercarriage and some crazy teenager who is doing more texting than driving could plow into you. I am planning on taking it a little easy this year (yeah, I say that every year) and I've been looking over the trails for something that is relatively easy with some nice views. Anyone is welcome to come along and we can discuss trails further at The Stoop.

Can't wait to see both of you, and everyone else, real soon.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    I use my VX as my daily driver, and try to keep it in as good a shape as possible, but I have been to Moab 8 or 9 times now, and like Gill said; I get more "damage" just driving it around every day. Like others have said, there are some easy trails out in Moab and it's always amazing to see what these little things are capable of. As I've said before, and others will attest to I'm sure, I tend to drive like a little old lady going to church on Sunday when I go off road. Off-roading is not a hobby for me and Moab is the only time that my VX sees any kind of serious off-roading (other than dirt roads around Colorado). There is ALWAYS the possibility of some minor scrapes doing ANY trail in Moab, even the dirt roads, but the thrill of doing some of these "obstacles" and getting to hang out with a bunch of people who share the same passion that I have is well worth it.

If you're keeping the VX as a "show car" then I wouldn't even drive it on the road because it could get rock chips in the paint, dirt and mud on the undercarriage and some crazy teenager who is doing more texting than driving could plow into you. I am planning on taking it a little easy this year (yeah, I say that every year) and I've been looking over the trails for something that is relatively easy with some nice views. Anyone is welcome to come along and we can discuss trails further at The Stoop.

Can't wait to see both of you, and everyone else, real soon.
    Thanks! Can't wait.

My 2 cents....Since many have expressed desire (like Mark just did), to go on some easier trails, I suggest LA SAL MOUNTAIN. That was very pleasant, and since it was at elevation, and had trees, it was a bit cooler, which is always welcome when it's 90+ in Moab. Or 7 MILE RIM, that trail was also very mild and extremely scenic! The group hasn't gone on either of these for about 3 years.

Even some of the "easier" trails have one or two obstacles that can cause scrapping.

These are all taken on Fins&Things and HellsRevenge. both considered VERY doable for stock VXs.

It's pretty hard to get down these 2 slides w/o scrapping the front lower cladding, at my stock height + slightly bigger tires, because you end up sliding down it, even with full brakes. I've scraped every time (done it like 5 times now).
    Dave is lifted and didn't scrape.

SIDE VIEW

DAVE DIDN'T SCRAPE AT ALL

OTHER CHALLENGING OBSTACLE FOR STOCK:

VT_MAVERICK COMING DOWN IT -CAN'T RECALL IF HE SCRAPPED OR NOT

DAVE SCRAPPED THE HECK OUT OF HIS HITCH COMING DOWN, BUT HE HAS A MUCH LONGER WHEELBASE.
    I HAD MY 18" SUPERBUMPER ON AND IT SCRAPPED BADLY COMING DOWN THIS EVEN AT A SHARP ANGLE. ACTUALLY TILTED ENTIRE HITCH UPWARD A TAD. DO NOT USE SUPERBUMPER ON THIS OBSTACLE.

HERE I'M "HIGH-CENTERED" ON A ROCK, (BALANCING ON MY OLD TROOPER SKID PLATE), MONCHA CAME AND PUSHED ME A LITTLE TO GET ME OFF

FAIRLY COMMON SCRAPPING ON GAS TANK & SHIELD:

LA SAL MOUNTAIN:

7 MILE RIM:

VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Looks like a hoot!

You gonna go Sue? I didnt see you RSVP yet.

If you're looking for easy and scenic check out Hoorah Pass!

Looks cool!

UUUGGGHHH!!!!! I dont know if im going to be able to make it this year :'(
    Me and the fam are possibly heading to Italy in april/may. Im getting this pulling feeling like I dont want to go to Italy because ill be missing out on seeing my other family.
    Make it yours, but make it classy........ unless theres zombies.........thats when the gun rack goes in.