Thread: Stuck in 4x4

Stuck in 4x4

My 99 VX is stuck in 4 high and won't return to 2 high, plus check light is on. Any suggestions. Thanks

No VX has 2H, they all came in full time 4wd (except below 15 or so when the front wheels are disengaged). Get AutoZone or Advance to scan your truck for free and get the CEL code.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    No VX has 2H, they all came in full time 4wd (except below 15 or so when the front wheels are disengaged).
    Incorrect, my JDM VX has a three-position transfer selector with 2H (RWD), 4H / TOD and 4L (diff locked). I leave it in 2H for long highway driving, it's slightly quieter. I believe some of the JDM cars didn't have the TOD mode, just 2H and 4L.

AFAIK you're correct though for US VXs. Maybe glenngw3 means his TOD is always fully activated?

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    Yup, you are correct. US spec VX's were 4hi and 4lo only while JDM's had 2hi also. I'm guessing your problem is mechanical in that you aren't able to shift the transfer into 2hi. If you are in neutral and the truck is stopped, you should be able to make the transition. Sometimes the t-case can be a little stubborn when it comes to shifting and a little finesse is necessary to make the shift. I've had the same problem with Fords sometimes being obstinate...
    Vixer Fixer

Yes folks, I am aware that JDM VX's are different. But unless he imported a JDM to North Carolina (or has since moved overseas) he doesn't have a 2H position on his shifter. I suspect Glider's second observation may be accurate.

Since our TOD is clutch driven this probably won't help ... but it won't hurt anything & it costs nothing.

Find an open field & do a few figure 8's in reverse. Then make sure everything is clear all around your vehicle with plenty of distance behind you. With your wheels straight, really punch it in reverse (try to get the wheels to spin). Make sure you do this on grass or dirt. Do not do this on pavement.

If that doesn't help, then try to disconnect the TOD computer (IIRC under the passenger seat) for about 10 minutes. Reconnect it & take it for a test drive.

Best O Luck & hopefully the simple solution works for ya.

EDIT:

BTW Mav, remember that getting the CEL read doesn't report TOD or ABS issues. You have to do that manually with the flashy light thinggy that deermagnet posted long ago.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Correct Tom, sorry, brain inserted the "engine" between check and light.

Good luck Glen!