Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Crank case full of coolant

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I blew the head gasket on a 1975 Peugeot 504 Station Wagon back in the early 80's (paid a grand for it). Found out due to the lower hose blowing from the pressure but still managed to limp it home about 25 miles using tape - had to keep stopping and adding tape and water. I later pulled the head and it sat for about a year - long enough for the cylinders to fill with rust. I ended up selling the car for the same $500 (for the parts) - the buyer took fine sandpaper and removed the rust and used a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil to flush the block - put the heads back on it (with a gasket set) and it cranked right back up - it was still running with little or no loss of compression years later. Of course, that engine was more like a tractor motor than what we have, but the point is, your experiences may vary.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

I'm looking at buying a salvage US VehiCROSS, shipping it to the UK, and combining it with my JDM to make a hybrid mutant UberCROSS (e.g. swap in the leather seats, nicer trim and maybe cruise control you guys got as well as the engine). Cheaper than I thought, might be viable. The best looking salvage cars are the flood damaged ones, but how much mechanical damage is that likely to cause?

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    That all depends on how high the water got. If it was high enough to enter the intake, that's bad. Also remember your TOD module and most sensors are below that level as well as the ECM and transmission, transfer case and differential breathers. The other factor is how long was it flooded and how long has it been since it was flooded and what was done immediately after to help mitigate the damages. It's always a gamble to buy flood damaged vehicles. There's a darn good reason why insurance companies total 'em even though they may look undamaged...
    Vixer Fixer

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Larson View Post
    That all depends on how high the water got. If it was high enough to enter the intake, that's bad. Also remember your TOD module and most sensors are below that level as well as the ECM and transmission, transfer case and differential breathers. The other factor is how long was it flooded and how long has it been since it was flooded and what was done immediately after to help mitigate the damages. It's always a gamble to buy flood damaged vehicles. There's a darn good reason why insurance companies total 'em even though they may look undamaged...
    Well, I am mostly looking for the block, seats and cladding panels; the former should be pretty bulletproof and the later should be 'what you see is what you get'. Everything else on the car would be bonus spare parts.

Mebbe better off looking for a VX with a bad tranny/transfer case but with everything else OK.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Mebbe better off looking for a VX with a bad tranny/transfer case but with everything else OK.
    x2 - you dont want a flood car

Ok bidding on a side impact car now. A couple of cladding panels are written off but not the ones I want. Impact looks fairly minor actually, glass is ok and even the frame might be sound with realignment.

Quote Originally Posted by Starglider View Post
    Ok bidding on a side impact car now. A couple of cladding panels are written off but not the ones I want. Impact looks fairly minor actually, glass is ok and even the frame might be sound with realignment.
    Update???

X2 on what Tom said...I still prefer to stay on-topic, on this and every other thread! This is an information-sharing and socializing forum dedicated to the unique vehicle that the VehiCross is. Guys should just discreetly agree to meet and "work-out" their differences someplace else...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Larson View Post
    Guys should just discreetly agree to meet and "work-out" their differences someplace else...
    Grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    Grow up.
    I'm tryin' dude, but it's hard...

The good thing about rebuilding the old engine is while it's down and apart you can put the newer designed pistons/rings in it and end your oil burning problems!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Bought my second VX! Only 60k on the clock but looks a little distressed, also pickup may be tricky as I am in London and the car is in Iowa...

Have all the parts for a full engine rebuild, plan to combine US and JDM parts into a hybrid mutant is go. Will be glad to have a spare trans / transfer case / ToD controller as well.

Supercharger plan is sadly on hold for now due to funds and not being able to understand Russian instructions properly.

Glad you're getting what you need. Keep us posted on your re-build.

Car has finally been picked up from the salvage yard (in Iowa), took a while because of all the snow you guys are having. Will go to Houston and then across the Atlantic, should arrive in Felixstowe in three weeks or so.