Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Picking up a new VX

Picking up a new VX

My daughter and I are flying out to Texas on February 14th and picking up a 99 Ironman and driving it back to Chicago. Does anyone have any pointers or things I should check before the journey back? I am going to split the ride up in two days just so I am not driving it straight for 16 hours.

Bring oil, lots of oil. Drive around town for a bit before leaving, preferably at both city and interstate speeds, then grab a bite to eat and look for any leaks afterwards. If you're leaking anything you should think about having a mechanic look it over before you leave. And of course buy a jug of whatever is leaking before you head out. Maybe also have an auto parts store check your alternator before you leave as well.

Good luck and welcome to the family!

should have bought mine much closer!!!

That would have been the smart thing to do. My daughter just got her licence and I thought this would be an excellent adventure for the two of us. The plan is to share the VX but I know that she will end up with it mostly.

Maverick- thanks for the advise. A case of oil will be the first thing we pick up and checking every couple of hours.

Flew up to Portland, Ore to pick up a VX a few months ago and drove over 36hrs straight to get it back to Tx. Towing a small u-haul trailer. Added oil once.

Talk with the owner to get as much info as you can about possible maintenance issues you may encounter. The owner of the VX I purchased said it would make it w/no issues, and he was right

..also meant to add good luck with the trip!

Owner info that is good to know is if/when the timming belt, water pump, tensioner was changed. As as others already said, keep on top of the oil. Some VXs guzzle it and others use none...it's hit and miss.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Thanks for the info. I will try to get all that info from owner. I will post along the trip. Looking forward to being a VX owner. Wanted one since they first came out.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Welcome to the madness!

Did you pick up the one in the Houston area that Daniel (VXD959) had for sale?
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

That's the one. He has been really great. Put a down payment on it beginning of Dec. and he has been holding it for me. He is also bringing it to the hotel we will be staying at. I have seen a little history on this site of this VX. I know it has been on its side at one time and has been repaired.

Grats & best o' luck on the drive home.

As soon as you get there, read the title carefully to make sure there isn't a lean still showing. That caused a 2 week delay in driving mine once I had it in my driveway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Thanks. Never thought about that. I am hoping to get it on the road right after I have my mechanic run through it. Plenty of snow here in Illinois to test it out. My luck, I will get it home and it will not snow anymore this season.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Check tire pressure is equal in all tires...
    ...and tread depth is same.

Uneven pressure/tread can trigger TOD issues.

And as stated... OIL!

Best to check it every time you fill up...or sooner....
    ...until you get a feel for its appetite !

Welcome to the addiction, have a safe trip

Jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Custom painted S/C Ironman (ex. VX-King Copper, Rickster's Chameleon)
    Back in 2007 I also lived in Chicago and also bought my VX in Texas and also drove it back
    It was a long boring ride I must admit good luck and they key is not to fall asleep at the wheel!
    Vodka... Connecting people

My daughter has only had her licence now for about a month and this will be her first road trip so my guess is she will not be driving a lot of the time. Although with the new VX it might be enough to keep her going longer. How is the VX for shorter drivers? She is only 5'-3".