Thread: Cladding/Custom Coat

Cladding/Custom Coat

i know there as been much discussion about the cladding and different after market finishes applied. I wanted to Linex my wifes VX this spring but I am scared to get an estimate I found this product on ebay and thought about doing it myself. The only thing I can't determine if it will fade. I will contact the company and see if I can find out more. Any opinions or suggestions from the brain trust?

Thanks Soggy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Coat-...#ht_7432wt_986

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Same parent company as SEM and Dupli-color...they have a good reputation for quality products.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Your biggest issue 'may' be getting that product to stick to the cladding plastic.
    A bonding primer is often needed to get adhesion between cladding & finish coat.
    So check that out carefully when you contact the supplier.

Line-X prices seem to vary dramatically across the country !

I've seen $400-$1200 for just the cladding.

No harm in calling your local Line-X guy to get a quote!

Jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    They also have this:

SEM - XXX Adhesion Promoter:

Promotes adhesion of topcoat materials when repairing or refinishing interior and exterior automotive surfaces.
    It may also be used on a variety of materials including flexible and rigid problem plastics, aluminum and metal.

I can't remember if this has been discussed before (and I'm too lazy to check right now), but has anyone ever thought of Plastidipping the cladding? https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php?...FcY7MgodhFYARA
    Might have the same adhesion issues as the Line-X, but the Plastidip looks fairly inexpensive (if you get it in a rattle can) so you could just re-coat any pieces that may get scratched. You could also change colors on a whim.

I've had an idea for a paint job on the stock 18's for a while so I may try it out in Plastidip first since it seems so easy to apply and peal off if you don't like it.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by soggybottomboyz View Post
    i know there as been much discussion about the cladding and different after market finishes applied. I wanted to Linex my wifes VX this spring but I am scared to get an estimate I found this product on ebay and thought about doing it myself. The only thing I can't determine if it will fade. I will contact the company and see if I can find out more. Any opinions or suggestions from the brain trust?

Thanks Soggy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Coat-...#ht_7432wt_986
    I looked all over & only saw a vague reference to UV protection. If it does not say UV stable (or some variant) it will fade & eventually peel. If it is UV stable they would use that as a marketing tool.
    Check out http://monstaliner.com/
    100% UV permanent - I ordered a five-piece sample around a year ago. This is what I plan to use on a few projects.
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    I can't remember if this has been discussed before (and I'm too lazy to check right now), but has anyone ever thought of Plastidipping the cladding? https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php?...FcY7MgodhFYARA
    Might have the same adhesion issues as the Line-X, but the Plastidip looks fairly inexpensive (if you get it in a rattle can) so you could just re-coat any pieces that may get scratched. You could also change colors on a whim.

I've had an idea for a paint job on the stock 18's for a while so I may try it out in Plastidip first since it seems so easy to apply and peal off if you don't like it.
    Plastidip is cool stuff but if you paint over it the removal is not that easy - without a topcoat it peels off easily - at least within a certain amount of time. I bought some for my RC VX cladding.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    You may want to check this out too....

www.rozars.com/Product.179597.aspx

Pic of a VX with this coating can be seen here:-

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Looks REALLY good to me

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post

Looks REALLY good to me

Jo
    Cool, never heard of that stuff. I would say something needs to be done with the insert though, it just isn't right with the rest of the truck?
    I am still happy with the LineX. No problems, snow, mud, wheeling, haven't noticed any issues.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post

Looks REALLY good to me

Jo
    "Like"

Give him a chance to finish...its a work in progress like your pics were

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Cool, never heard of that stuff. I would say something needs to be done with the insert though, it just isn't right with the rest of the truck?
    I am still happy with the LineX. No problems, snow, mud, wheeling, haven't noticed any issues.
    I'm REALLY happy with my Line-X too..

But at $800 for the whole thing...this stuff looks like a GREAT DEAL.

I would seriously look at this as an alternative if I do another vehicle..
    ....because I wont get the super discount I got on the ORW Line-X again

If the whole thing is $800...those looking for cladding only would
    get excellent value IMO.

Jo
    Last edited by JoFotoz : 02/08/2014 at 05:34 PM

I would go ahead and get the estimate, my step dad got his hood insert line-x and it costed him close to $300. A few months later I ran into the same guy at my local gym and became good friends with him and he agreed that he would do my entire cladding for only $300. He said if I was to take off the cladding and bring it in to him it would be cheaper so I would keep that in mind while you call for a quote

Ok I think I will get a quote on the Linex and go from there. Great input from all. Iwill post the quote when I have it in hand, may be a month or so working on the honey-do list right now.

Thanks,

Soggy

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    Check out http://monstaliner.com/
    100% UV permanent - I ordered a five-piece sample around a year ago. This is what I plan to use on a few projects.
    Here's a VXer that used Monstaliner:
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ht=monstaliner

VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Yeah, Sue, I'm pretty sure he followed my initial recommendation of Monstaliner. I was excited to try it on my Trailblazer but I'm pretty lazy... & slightly drunk right now. Just fyi. Haha I should call Dub!